cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPC-6800... What's the deal?

Journeyman

PPC-6800... What's the deal?

Ok, since nobody wants to ask the question, I will. Smiley Happy

There are a whole lot of users that are waiting on the replacement for the ppc-6700 (the 6800 ofcourse). That info is all over the net with pictures. It looks like a great phone, but why the slow processor and not rev-a capable?

I know you guys have this phone in the pipeline and is in trials but please don't delete this post. People already know and have seen the pics...

A lot info is out on Verizon's version as well. I really hope Sprint's version is much better.

69 REPLIES 69
Journeyman

Re: PPC-6800... What's the deal?

so far as to what ive seen and heard it will be rev a

Journeyman

Sprint is a wireless company, not a phone company. Like an airline. United doesn't make the planes, they just fly them from A to B. Sprint can't do anything about the specs, they were decided a long time ago by a lil company called HTC in Taiwan. Of course when the design left Taiwan, it was state of the art, but by the time it got to the ol' USA it's as outdated as the telegraph. FTC, FCC, blah blah delayes the phones to death, but atleast it's comming. Sprint calls it the PPC-6700/6800 so we have something to remember it by because if they called it TyTn doesn't wouldn't sound very marketable. The specs should be identical to the HTC TyTn (aka Titan) except it will be the CDMA version, so expect it to be identical to Verizon's in every way hardware wise. Of course sprint is free to load whatever it wants in the software, but they can't engineer the network and the customers equipment at the same time Smiley Wink.

Start $aving. This one is going to break the bank.

Journeyman

Every indication I have gotten is that the device will have more memory, be rev A capable, and will run windows mobile 6. Last I heard the device launch is slated for May/June or late second quarter 07'. It looks to be a GREAT device and with any luck I will be able to test it and let you guys know!

Wes

Journeyman

Unfortunately the 6800 is so obsolete it isn't even funny. The technology for the 6800 would have been cutting edge about 2 years ago - now it isn't fit to be released.
Dimensions:60 x 110 x 20 millimetres
ROM capacity: 256 MB

RAM capacity: 64 MB

Display Resolution:240 x 320

Display Diagonal:2.8 "

A less obsolete unit that would have been a better choice for those wanting a unit with a keyboard -

I-Mate Ultimate 7150 Specs

Dimensions:74 x 110 x 18 millimetres Even though it is thinner than the HTC BRICK it has 4 TIMES the resolution!

ROM capacity:256 MB

RAM capacity:128 MB - you could load VC, SPP Pocket Plus, SPB Time, Adobe and Flash all in the RAM!

Display Resolution:640 x 480

Display Diagonal:3.8 " 35% larger VIEWING area even though the unit is only 11mm wider and 2mm thinner

USB:USB 2.0 client, 60Mbit/s , USB Series Mini-B (mini-USB) connector - USB 2.0 has been out for over 5 years

For those such as myself who would give up a keyboard for a slimmer unit it would be nice if Sprint gave us a choice - keyboard or no keyboard - can't think of a store that doesn't sell regular and diet coke.

I-Mate Ultimate 8150 Specs

Dimensions:50 x 94 x 11 millimetres

ROM capacity: 256 MB

RAM capacity: 128 MB

Display Resolution:480 x 640

Display Diagonal:2.6 " - granted - that is about 7% smaller BUT the unit is HALF as thick as the 6800 brick along with a plethora of current technology not in the 6800

USB:USB 2.0 client, 60Mbit/s , USB Series Mini-B (mini-USB) connector

The actually make 5 ultimate models - wouldn't it be great if Sprint requested CDMA versions of at least a couple.

Message Edited by boe on 04-01-200712:35 PM

Journeyman

BT 2.1 has just been finalized - the good for us, significantly less battery drain. The bad for us - considering that USB 2.0 has been out for about half a decade, and HTC phones are still USB 1.1, we can't expect BT 2.1 till 2013 on a Sprint PDA phone.

Journeyman

Redhat,
What you say could not be farther from the truth. Carriers always have input on the feature pack on the phones they buy. The only exception to this in the past 5+ years if the Apple iPhone. That is precisely why the iPhone is designed without the user in mind. While some models and manufacturers may differ in the amount of variance, they definitely change daily for the carriers. Almost all of the phones we have in the US have more features overseas. This is not a manufacturers decision, but rather a carrier decision. They asked for options to be taken off that they think will not be adopted so they can buy the phones at a lower cost. The most obvious is the UI on all the handsets. You even see diffences in what is packaged in the boxes of different carriers.
And before you start thinking I am wrong, ask yourself why every handset Cingular sells requires a BT antenna to use navigation, but the exact same handsets with Sprint can do it without add on accessories.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Boe,

Thanks for the info. I have seen the Imate phones and really love their look and features. It's just too bad Sprint won't carry them. It would have been awesome. There are not many options for users in the good old US of A these days. If Tmobile or Cingular didnt have such a sloooow network where I live then maybe I could just buy an unlocked phone somewhere and pop in a sim card. That would be heaven.

While I understand that phones like the Imate cost more $$ it would be nice to have the option to get one. Doesn't Sprint realize how many more subscriptions they would get if they gave us that option? I guess not. If we ever get a carrier with a fast network willing to carry top notch phones, look out.

Journeyman

killabee44
I think if Cingular/ATT could merge with TMOBILE they might just finally have a network worth jumping ship from Sprint. I have a very good plan with Sprint but to get a business phone that actually is better for my business, it would be the right thing to do - plus I'd have more functionality when travelling. I've contacted my state reps encouraging them to look into Sprint's practice of "locking" phones. It woud be like comcast or adelphia making you buy TVs from them to use on their cable network. If you recall landline service providers were forced to give up the practice of making you buy phones from them. It is time Sprint stopped abusing their customers and gave us choices.
Can you imagine if California or your local state only let you drive on their roads if you purchased your car from them?

Journeyman

One would have to woneder why HTC is still using plain old Lithium battery technology when other solutions which supply at least 20% longer battery life such as Panasonics rechargeable battery technology, Lithium Polymer and even silver based rechargeables. Considering I can buy Lithium Polymer batteries for toys which I don't depend on day in and day out 24 x7, is it too much to ask that they be in my BUSINESS phone? I'm not asking for future technology like nanotube rechargeables or a fuel cell smaller than you can get, I'm asking for technology that is already out.

Message Edited by boe on 03-09-200709:00 AM

Journeyman

<DIV>6800 should be out around May. </DIV> <DIV> </DIV> <DIV>I'm sure we will see a whole bunch of 6700's break around that time. It's always funny to me how old models just stop "working" when new models come out :)</DIV>

Journeyman

Another fine VGA phone making me daydream about Sprint getting other brands or unlocking their network -
HTC6800 110 x 60 x 20
ETEN X800 113.5 x 60.5 x 15.8 - Much thinner - but no keyboard - I'd gladly give up for the thinner design - but they could keep the 6800 for people who want one. I would imagineEten willalso make one with a keyboard but I don't have any info about that unit.

HTC - 240 x 320
ETEN - 480 x 640 - 4 TIMES the resolution better for browsing, e-mail, documents, GPS etc.

HTC USB ?
ETEN USB 2.0

HTC - No FM tuner
ETEN - FM

HTC - NO GpS
ETEN - GPS on board
Both HTC and Eten are WM6 professional.
I would even choose this over the Imate's I listed since this has the GPS on board - I don't care about the FM although nothing wrong with it being included.

Message Edited by boe on 04-01-200712:35 PM

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat