cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPC-6800... What's the deal?

Journeyman

Re: PPC-6800... What's the deal?

You see, THAT really irritates me. How these phones are out there but we will never see them with Sprint. Now if Tmobile would roll out 3g in my area (South Florida) I would get one of these niiice PPC's and drop in a sim card. The problem is the speed of Tmobile's network. It is so slooow that it's disgusting. Like going back to dialup. Im sure they won't upgrade their network to 3g here for years. I hear they have done so in some areas but few.

killabee44

Journeyman

killabee44 wrote:
You see, THAT really irritates me. How these phones are out there but we will never see them with Sprint. Now if Tmobile would roll out 3g in my area (South Florida) I would get one of these niiice PPC's and drop in a sim card. The problem is the speed of Tmobile's network. It is so slooow that it's disgusting. Like going back to dialup. Im sure they won't upgrade their network to 3g here for years. I hear they have done so in some areas but few.

I am really considering moving to Cingular just to get this unit - comparingx800 to the HTC 6800 is like comparing a new BMW 5 seriesto a Ford Taurus sedan or the 6700 to a Treo 180. I will seriously, seriously miss the rate plan I took years to build towards but to get really good phones it is so dang tempting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Boe,

How is the speed of the Tmobile and Cingular data networks where you live? I am thinking that's what I will miss most.

Journeyman

killabee44 wrote:
Boe,

How is the speed of the Tmobile and Cingular data networks where you live? I am thinking that's what I will miss most.

I would take a slight hit in performance and I would miss that as well - not as much as my current contract rate but you are right, I would prefer a faster network. Cingular isn't really that bad - tests ranged from 280 to 300 but I haven't tested it much in other states.

Journeyman

part of the problem is CDMA. Most of the HTC/imate phones are GSM-based, so will support GSM/GPRS/UMTS/HDSPA etc and thus will only work with Cingy or Tmo (the two USA GSM carriers). CDMA isn't widely used outside of the USA, so any company making a CDMA phone has a much smaller target market. Combine this with the fact that Sprint or VZW probably won't commit to a sales volume due to the high cost of such devices, and the result is that it's not nearly as attractive a market for a manufacturer. GSM OTOH, if you make a device with quad band GSM it will work in 90% of the world, and you can usually sell it direct (SIM cards mean carrier doesn't have to approve the phone), so you have a much larger market.

Plus which because of SIM cards, people will be more likely to spend the money knowing they can easily switch it to another carrier if they want.

Journeyman

IronHelix - I can't deny that the GSM market is bigger but since Sprint locks its network, unless you already have an order for a specific phone, the manufacturer isn't going to produce any phones for Sprint. Include the amount of time Sprint takes to "test" a phone and the phone will be obsolete by the time it makes it to the shelf which reduces orders for the phone and thus makes it less profitable for the manufacturer to make a phone for sprint. I remember wanting an Samsung palm flip phone for the longest time - it took Sprint over a year and a half to "test" the phone(i550 I believe) and so it never made it to the shelves! I think there would be enough profit for the manufacturers to produce a couple of cutting edge CDMA phones for just US customers if they didn't have to go through the Sprint purchasing process or be selected to make a phone for Sprint. Since Sprint charges you to activate a phone and has you sign up for a new contract when you switch phones - I can't see how much more money they need to get from you for this to be a profitable transaction for them.
I think we'd see more phones that are both CDMA and GSM if Sprint's network wasn't locked.

Message Edited by boe on 03-19-200701:57 PM

Journeyman

Well if the 6800 had been out 6months ago that would have been good. It's too bad it's probably going to be out right around the iPhone hits. What a contrast that will be! (not saying they are comparible in user groups). Anyways I'm with Sprint because of the coverage and dataplans. The 6700 was the best phone, best data plan, and data coverage when it came out. However by the time my contract is up in a few months the 6800 will be an ok phone, but other carrier look to be having much better phones with better download/upload speeds. Only question is coverage and cost. If Sprint was to raise the cost of their plans I would have no real reason to stay. I may be willing to pay more for coverage to get a better phone.
I wouldn't mind a phone the same size as the 6700, but it would need vga, gps, lots of internal memory, otherwise need a much smaller longer lasting battery to make it worth while

Journeyman

i4edge wrote:
I wouldn't mind a phone the same size as the 6700, but it would need vga, gps, lots of internal memory, otherwise need a much smaller longer lasting battery to make it worth while

The sad thing is, if you look at the technology being put into other phones, you wouldn't have to lug something the size of a toaster oven or a 6700 to get all that. Check out the specs on the phones I posted - vastly advanced specs compared to the now primitive 6800 (I realize it isn't available yet) and yet they are almost all SLIMMER than the 6800. If Sprint raised their expectations from HTC, I'm pretty sure HTC could make a phone that compared pretty closely with the IMATES, ETENS and other phones on the market. Again, I'm not saying HTC can't make good phones, I'm saying Sprint doesn't get good phones from HTC.

Message Edited by boe on 03-20-200712:55 PM

Journeyman

i4edge,

You said:

"However by the time my contract is up in a few months the 6800 will be an ok phone, but other carrier look to be having much better phones with better download/upload speeds."

What carrier specifically were you speaking of? I don't know of any carrier faster than Sprint in the USA.

killabee44

Message Edited by killabee44 on 03-20-200705:27 PM

Journeyman

Just in case any of you are worrying that I'm anti HTC, I'm not. They have a new phone the Athena which is pretty innovative, a detachable keyboard to give you a thinner unit-16mm, VGA resolution, etc. The unit is pretty much an inbetween PDAphone/laptop though. It has a nice big 5" display but due to that is too large to use comfortably as a phone for most people's needs. If they made something just like it - still 16mm like the Athena but with a standard 2.6, 2.8, or even a 3.8" screen, they could have quite a winner on their hands. I understand the 5" screen is for a different market and I'm not suggesting they stop making that unit but if they could add one with a slightly smaller VGA screen, they could have a kick butt solution for people unimpressed by the 6800.

Message Edited by boe on 03-24-200705:02 PM

Journeyman

The 6800 looks lame. It barely has any advantages over the 6700, and the 6700 is just about obsolete. Well, just about obsolete unless you're locked into a deal with Sprint- in which case it's still the best device available.
Sprint flat out has to start allowing people to use unlocked phones. They're just not capable of choosing devices for me.
Sprint- if you have anyone reading this, how about this suggestion: I buy a 3rd party unlocked phone, I pay Sprint a ONE TIME activation fee of $30 or whatever, and I can then activate it or deactivate it anytime I want without paying that activation fee again.
Sound fair?

Journeyman

While I am more inclined to go for the 6150 of the 5 Imate VGA PDAphones, I haven't found any video of it yet. Here is the 5150, which is thicker but has a slide out numeric keypad.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat