cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PPC-6800... What's the deal?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: PPC-6800... What's the deal?

Did anyone see the CDMA devices on display at CTIA by Nokia, Kyocera, and TechFaith (the company making the I-Mate branded phones)?
Nokia:
Kyocera:
TechFaith:
There are some flat out AWESOME devices there! And just think- if Sprint allowed unlocked phones we could get them!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirmckelvey
ok ok ok ..... DROOLZZZ
* - from an earlier post

http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?p=102

18 pictures of it here:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/mobile-gadgeteer/?page_id=101

I am sold. Plus it's 400mhz, not the 200mhz some thought.

Also look a the pictures the 6800 took of the surounding areas as well... talk about a USABLE camera finally...

But then... there is the I-mate Ultimate 7150... cough weeezz
* Now below is an update to the post from above -

Well... You can now pre-order the I-mate Ultimate 7150... And it's coming out this month...
http://www.techgodess.net/imate-7150-ulti.html

It really does blow the 6800 out the water in every catagory... and we have no definate idea as to when we can buy the 6800... (late late May??) I am sorry to say that it's not looking good for sprint when a banger like the 7150 is about to hit store shelves. Sprint's top of the line model will hit shelves outdated by far. I was on the phone w/ a cingular rep and he pretty much matched my sprint plan as well and it was only $3 more per month...

I don't know... Until the CDMA version of Sim cards come out, I think it's going to be a rough time for me to stick w/ sprint when I drool over all the other "non-propriatory" phones out there...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did forget to mention that as I am coming from a PPC 6600, the Cingular rep looked up my area (Buffalo NY) and I would be getting between 400kbs - 700kbs download speeds. Because Sprint decided NOT to activate the EVDO feature in the 6600 that we all know works fine (see verizon), this will be a HUGE increase for me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

amirmckelvey, Curious if you end up jumping ship for a better phone or just stick with Sprint. Are you leaning either way?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think even if the6800 comes out before or at the same time as the I-mate 7150, I'm switching to cingular and getting the I-mate 7150. I would like to hold the 6800 and try it out but it's very clear that the I-mate 7150 is a much better phone in every single aspect. If sprint would carry phones like it then yeah I would stick around, and I have been w/ sprint since 1997 so this is a loyal long time customer here that is fed up w/ getting 2nd hand phones from sprint. It does really bug me that the 6800 is being release so out dated. The 6600 did't have EVDO when it did w/ Verizon, and when I bought the phone I was told by multiple people in the store and through the 800# that it would be upgradeable to EVDO. I trusted sprint so I kept the phone for so long. Now, I'm pretty much done and I'm looking to get a state of the art phone that will handle my business and pleasure needs, and the I-mate 7150 does just that. I was very optimistic about the sprint nextel deal hoping that it would get sprint in gear and get some nice phones, but here we are today, no better than where we were yesterday.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Take a read of this.....
UTStarcom & HTC - PPC-6800, SMT-5800
Written by Christopher Price
Friday, 30 March 2007

One point of misinformation that has persisted is in regards to HTC and UTStarcom. Despite reports falsely scooped by other phone information sites, HTC and UTStarcom are continuing and furthering their relations in the Untied States. PhoneNews.com directly confirmed with both UTStarcom and HTC that they will continue to work together in shipping HTC CDMA devices in the United States.
PhoneNews.com has also learned the reason for the delay of the PPC-6800 and SMT-5800. HTC this week released these devices abroad (in Canada on Telus) lacking EV-DO Rev A. HTC will later software update these devices to support EV-DO Rev A.
Sprint and Verizon however have chosen to wait for EV-DO Rev A to be integrated into HTC's next wave of devices. Once that has been completed, they will ship. It is also possible that this delay will ensure Windows Mobile 6 ships on both devices. While the SMT-5800 cannot be confirmed, but both carriers are fully locked on to releasing the PPC-6800.
However, because of this delay, only the Telus-branded version (the P4000) was available for show. Specifics such as if the HTC brand will be stamped on the UTStarcom-sold devices remains to be seen.

Message Edited by HobbesIsReal on 04-11-200703:37 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Over a 1000 hits on this topic - I wonder if this is an important topic to people?

Highlighted
Journeyman

well, in my case, i'm awaiting the new phone because it's part of my graduation present. my dad's company has some sort of deal with sprint, so we get discounted phones or something of that nature.
coming from a teen's standpoint, i need a phone that will support my lifestyle (ie: texting, im, web access, camera phone), and i really wanted a sidekick (aka "scene"kick). this phone is the closest i will get to having a kick, and all the other phones are rather...meh. i currently have a samsung a900 and it works fine, but it's not as fun.
the reason i check this thread and many others online, is to find the release date or any other info. i would ideal like to have my phone by may so i can use it at concerts, but the latest i'll wait is june. otherwise, i'm going to have to go e-bay shopping for unlocked phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i definitely agree with the person above. i need a phone to support my teen lifestyle and im graduating too! '07! haha. anyways i want a cool phone period.
Sprint needs to catch up when it comes to phone design & selection, some of these looks like it was made for old people, no offense or anything...

Highlighted
Journeyman

HChristianS wrote:
Sprint needs to catch up when it comes to phone design & selection, some of these looks like it was made for old people, no offense or anything...

Maybe the person who picks phones is a intern youngsterwho thinks retro technology is cool. It doesn't matter if they are a youngen or an old geezer like myself,I agree the technology is too antiquated to impress any generation.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i don't know anything about the technology aspect or certain specs. but sprint phone desgins arenot that innovative. and they are sometimes difficult for me to use. a simple and accessible phone is all i need. and to be honest, retro in any form was never appealing to me.

Highlighted
Journeyman

WM5

<a href="http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/sprints-ppc6800-gets-officially-specd-255245.php" target="_blank">http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/cellphones/sprints-ppc6800-gets-officially-specd-255245.php
WM5 - not WM6
Lithium Battery - not Lithium Polymer
240x320 res - not 480x640 res
no mention of a full GPS chip
It took 2 years to "upgrade" from the 6700 to this!?!?!

Message Edited by boe on 04-25-200708:21 PM

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat