cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palm Pro Connection Problems Phone as a Modem

Journeyman

Palm Pro Connection Problems Phone as a Modem

I have had my Palm Pro for 3 months now and I am never able to get a stable connection for phone as a modem. I called Sprint for help and they could offer none to help fix the issue. I get a stable connection for about 30 seconds and then it mysteriously goes away. Then comes back about 2 minutes later for another 30 seconds. I have Windows XP running on my laptop. I used to have a 700p that ran phone as modem fine using the broadband software, but the Pro is on Windows Mobile. PLEASE HELP ANYONE IF YOU KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE THIS!!!! I am thinking of just cutting out the service if I cannot get it working more normally.

13 REPLIES 13
Journeyman

Re: Palm Pro Connection Problems Phone as a Modem

First, may I ask if you are able to tell me the type of plan you are on attemping to use phone as modem with this device?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the Sprint Pro Pack as well as the Phone as Modem plan. Thank you for responding.

Journeyman

You are welcome. If you are having issue with the correct plan, first I would recommend that you contact Technical Support by calling 1-800-639-6111, they maybe able to troubleshoot the device to correct the error. If you continue to have issues I would recommend that you take the device to your local Spint store/repair center to have a technician take a look at the device, as well as run some diagnostic tests on the device to determine exactly where the issues lies.

Hope this information helps.

Master

Hmmm, BnicS1 ""I called Sprint for help and they could offer none to help fix the issue.""

Your first reply was to check to see if the OP was doing something against his plan or Sprints terms for using his PAM, Then you offer no assistance on the issue but to tell him to do what he already done without success.

To the OP I'll look around to see what I can come up with, In the meantime It may be wortha shot to call your local Corporate Sprint Store and inquire about the "Ready Now" program, Take your phone and laptop in and have them set it up to work correctly. I'd also call in to account services to get a credit for not being able to use the service.

Master

You can set up Internet Sharing in one of two ways:
1. Connect your Treo Pro smartphone to your computer using the USB cable.
2.If your computer is enabled with Bluetooth wireless technology, you can set up your
Treo Pro smartphone as a wireless modem using the built-in Bluetooth technology.

To set up USB Internet Sharing:
1. Connect your Treo Pro smartphone to your computer, using the USB cable.
2. Make sure that the phone on your Treo Pro smartphone is turned on (see Turning Your
Phone On and Off on page 34) and that one of the data services icons ( or )
appears at the top of the screen. (If you dont see either of these icons, then you cannot
use your smartphone as a modem.)
3. Go to your Today screen.
4. Select Start > Programs > Internet Sharing.
5. Check that USB is selected for PC Connection.
6. Press Connect (left softkey). (When your computer detects
the connection, a connection icon appears in the
taskbar in the lower-right corner of your computer screen.)
7. On your computer, open your Web browser to confirm that
you can connect to the Internet.
You now have an Internet connection on your computer via your
Treo Pro smartphone, and you can do anything you would do
using your usual Internet connection.
To set up Internet Sharing with Bluetooth wireless technology:

Create a partnership between your Treo Pro smartphone and your
computer, and be sure to check the Make this device discoverable to
other devices box. We recommend that you initiate the partnership from
your smartphone (see Setting Up a Bluetooth Connection on page 214).

1. On your computer, double-click the icon to open the Bluetooth connections window.
(For instructions, check the documentation included with your computer.)
2. Select the option to view devices within range.
3. You should see an icon representing your Treo Pro smartphone. Double-click or
right-click this icon and check properties/details to make sure that Network Access
Point or Personal Access Networking or something similar appears in the list of
Bluetooth services associated with your smartphone.

Dont see your Treo Pro smartphone icon on the list of services? Check the
documentation included with your computer, or contact your computer
manufacturer for help. Various computer models use various terms for the
Bluetooth connection features.

4. On your Treo Pro smartphone, select Start > Programs > Internet Sharing.
5. Select the PC Connection list, and then select Bluetooth PAN.
6. Press Connect (left softkey) and follow the wizard to set up Internet Sharing.
7. On your computer, follow the steps to accept or enable a Bluetooth PAN connection with
your smartphone. Check the documentation included with your computer for
instructions.
8. On your computer, double-click the Network Access Point icon to establish the Bluetooth
PAN connection.
9. After you have connected, on your computer, open your Web browser to confirm that
you can connect to the Internet.
You now have an Internet connection on your computer via your Treo Pro smartphone and
you can do anything you would do using your usual Internet connection.

By doing a Google search I can find all kinds of post of how to set it up with registry hacks to do it for free(without a PAM plan).

Journeyman

Thank you Levi4u. I was sort or perplexed by the Sprint person's response given I have been on the phone with Sprint for hours trying to figure this issue out. I have been trying to connect using the USB as I figured it was the strongest possible connection option. I follow the steps you outlined in your last message each time I connect. I will try to take my phone and laptop to a local Sprint store and see if they can figure it out. If not, I will ask for the credit as the connection is so frustrating that it is not worth $15 a month if I cannot connect consistently to the web. Thanks again.

Journeyman

I am having issues using my Treo Pro as a modem also. When I had my Motorola Q9c, it was easy.The process for connecting via the Motorolaseemsto be very similar to thesteps listed above. However, since I have had the Treo Pro, I cantseem to get connected. Everytime I try, I get an error message that says, " Error Code 67: Error Code 67 Registration Failure. Your PCS Vision username / password may be incorrect. Please try again."

WTF? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I never had to enter a username or password with my Motorola Q9c. I don't even know what username and password it is talking about.

I am on the Simply Everything plan.

Master

@five O wrote:

I am having issues using my Treo Pro as a modem also. When I had my Motorola Q9c, it was easy.The process for connecting via the Motorolaseemsto be very similar to thesteps listed above. However, since I have had the Treo Pro, I cantseem to get connected. Everytime I try, I get an error message that says, " Error Code 67: Error Code 67 Registration Failure. Your PCS Vision username / password may be incorrect. Please try again."

WTF? Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I never had to enter a username or password with my Motorola Q9c. I don't even know what username and password it is talking about.

I am on the Simply Everything plan.

You CAN NOT use your phone as a modem on a simply everything plan, Sprint does not offer it or support it on any of the everything plans.

Journeyman

Levi:

I did on my last phone, plan hasn't changed.

Master

You may have, Like I stated Sprint does not allow tethering on any of the everything plans. Period. Sprint does not support or condone using your phone as a modem and it is in their right to terminate your contract if they choose to.

question : I have a simply everything plan and would like to have the option to have the phone as modem (PAM) what are sprint's plans to give me the phone as modem option.

Answer : We currently have no plans to offer PAM on the Simply Everything Plan.

Journeyman

Thanks Levi. I will have to call Sprint and tell them how pissed I am. My last phone had the Internet Sharing feature with the $99 Simply Everything Plan. I "upgraded" the phone, and handed over another $200 in doing so,and kept the same plan. Now have less features. This may steer me to another provider.

I hated the customer service (or lack there of) that I got when I orginally had Sprint as a provider. I left and went to Nextel. Then Sprint bought Nextel. I just knew they would F*** me again.

Not to mention, that no one at Sprint told me that it wouldn't work. I have spent a total of probably 5 hours on the phone with them trying to get an answer (hence joining the forum looking for input).

I hope someone from Sprint reads this stuff.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat