ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone displays Ev instead of 3g now.

Journeyman

Phone displays Ev instead of 3g now.

A few weeks agao,my phone would display 3G at the top,then i went to England for 3 weeks,roamed on local networks there,and when i came back my phone now says Ev instead of 3g. I've not seen that before,is this a good thing or not?

My phone is HTC Touch Pro 2 just in case its important.

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Re: Phone displays Ev instead of 3g now.

Hello

all i can tell u is that ev or evdo is sprints 3g. 3g for sprint was originally called 1xRTT data and may have displayed on phones as 3g or 1x. The 1xRTT was data service pretty much available where ever u could place a call. Think of ev as a little bit of an  upgrade to the old 1xRTT  3g. Alot of phones came with the evdo but may not have been available in your calling area till recently. Sprint has been trying to aggressively widen all of there coverge areas. Also ev is called sprint power vision and verizon uses the evdo and they call it vcast

Journeyman

Thanks flight01. I wasn't sure if my phone was working properly once i got back to the US as i had never seen that Ev before ! I guess i have nothing to worry about then.

Actually, GSM 2G is EDGE.

CDMA 2G is 1xRTT

GSM 3G also known in tech jargon as UMTS is 3G

CDMA 3G is known as Evolution, Data Optimized (Originally: Ev-Data Only)

Was this helpful?

Journeyman

It's not a bad thing. While in the states you are suppose to be using Ev instead of 3G. So if anything leaving the country fixed your phone. I don't believe it will affect your internet anyhow cause even if it shows 3G while in the states you would still be using EVDO rev. A (Ev).

Journeyman

Thanks x-hero. I wonder why it didnt show the Ev before I left the US then,hmmm thats weird.

When i arrived the UK i had to change the settings from CDMA to whatever it was called over there,then change it back again when i got back to the US.

Message was edited by: SidVicious

SidVicious wrote:

Thanks x-hero. I wonder why it didnt show the Ev before I left the US then,hmmm thats weird.

No! You have to understand that as a Sprint user your using CDMA. In Europe your using GSM.

Different tech.

You might be able to unlock it to work on the AT&T or T-MObile network, but you'll probably brick your phone.

Journeyman

Now delta.. don't be giving people any ideas LOL

Journeyman

DeltaSPARTAN003 wrote:

SidVicious wrote:

No! You have to understand that as a Sprint user your using CDMA. In Europe your using GSM.

Different tech.

You might be able to unlock it to work on the AT&T or T-MObile network, but you'll probably brick your phone.

Well i wouldnt want to do that anyway,i already left at&t because they sucked,and it was the best decision i made,i get more for my money and the internet is a lot faster so i'm happy the way it is !

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat