cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sign The Petition For Sprint to offer a variety of Windows Phones

Journeyman

Re: Sign The Petition For Sprint to offer a variety of Windows Phones

how about adding to the variety rather than just following... I'd love to see something like the Lumia 620. I want everyone to get the 7 inch screen if they want it but please let me have something that doesn't look all highschool in my back pocket.

Journeyman

Haldiggs,

I hear what you're saying, currently Sprint doesn't have any agreements to carry Nokia phones. We've had great partnerships with Samsung and HTC which is why we'll be able to offer phones from them.

-John

Sprint Social Care

Journeyman

I understand the contract thing. Did not mean to say that Nokia is the only solution. I'd just like something different than the usual phone cube (brick) that we all feel trapped into buying. I think if either Samsung or HTC explored different phone styles they'd find some ready customers. I have friends that still buy old flip phones off eBay just to hold something different. ... I've oftem caught myself wishing for the easy way I could speed dial using my old LG Lx-160.

Journeyman

Yeah because the HTC Arrive was had such wonderful support. HTC and Samsung have made nothing but lackluster devices for WP8 compared to Nokia. Verizon appears to be getting a Nokia 920 variant.

Get with the program Sprint, Nokia has been getting recognized for good design, good quality, has offered regular support of what they make. HTC has done nothing for the Arrive.

Journeyman

Sprint needs to bring Nokia Windows phones to their network. It seems to me Sprint wants the Windows phone to fail on their network.  My understanding of running a business if you want it to succeed then you must  have the best products for your customers. Sprint needs to learn from AT&T. AT&T gives their customers the type of phone they want and Sprint doesn't.

Journeyman

There's a member of the Windows Phone Central (WPCentral) forums named 'mrmdj31675' who explains a lot of what I didn't know regarding Sprint and their preference for higher security standards.

It seems that Sprint is pushing for higher CDMA security standards (CDMA being the phone technology Sprint/Verizon use, AT&T/T-Mobile use GSM). Other CDMA carriers than Sprint use a coding/encryption security standard written by China Mobile. Sprint is enforcing a higher/stronger security standard by Qualcomm. Currently, Microsoft does not support the Qualcomm standard, as they are using the China Mobile coding. Since Sprint mandates that all of their devices follow the stronger Qualcomm standard, there is no other CDMA Sprint WP device available. The FCC is enforcing the Qualcomm standard as well, and the deadline for Microsoft to meet this this summer.

The reason Verizon has CDMA WP8 devices is that Verizon does not enforce the Qualcomm standard. Nokia prefers to use the China Mobile standard (which earlier in the decade caused a rift between Sprint/Nokia), hence there haven't been a Sprint Nokia device in a REALLY long time, and probably not for the foreseeable future. It doesn't help matters that back when this took place, Nokia was quoted as saying that to them, CDMA is considered "a niche market in the US".

Google and Apple have met the Qualcomm security standard since before it was recommended in mid-2011 by the FCC, hence those brands have been welcomed into Sprint's lineup. Microsoft is currently attempting to meet the Qualcomm standard since the FCC deadline is this summer, but it has yet to be confirmed if this is close to taking place.

In closing it seems that the hitch is regarding this security standard that Sprint mandates their phones have. Since Microsoft has not yet met the standard, there are no newer WP's available. Regarding Nokia... since Sprint had an issue with them in the late 90s/early 2000's, both sides have had issues/hard feelings with each other... making no Nokia phones available on Sprint.

I'm a Sprint sub with an HTC Arrive and as much as I would LOVE to see a Nokia or hell, ANY new Windows Phone... it seems that all we can do right now is wait. HTC and Samsung phones have been confirmed for 'this summer' but I'm hoping for more info soon!

I hope you all found this info valuable and that it gives SOME reasoning and comfort as to the absence of WP devices on Sprint. To read more of this forum member's posts, here's the thread I got most of this info from - http://forums.wpcentral.com/carrier-discussion-lounge/217607-really-sprint.html

Journeyman

14 year customer with Sprint....and still waiting for a Windows 8 phone, have it on my desktop, want it on my phone.

Journeyman

Here are the Sprint Windows Phone 8 phones coming in May or June...

Samsung ATIV S

HTC Tiara

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/26/4148298/sprint-windows-phone-samsung-ativ-s-htc-tiara

Journeyman

Still Waiting as usual for Sprint to release it.

I have been with Sprint many years and love the service but the wait time for a most desired phone to to be considered by Sprint to offer it's customers and then having to wait for the long release date is killing me.

My contract is already up and I do not plan to renew until the Windows 8 phone release.

So, I quess I'll just have wait.

Journeyman

I am tired of waiting too....have four phone family pack but will liekly to go Verizon. They do not seem to listen to customer demand. To bad,

Highlighted
Journeyman

I also want a WP and if it does not come by the time my contract is up, off to verizon i go.  Please sprint get a high end wp for your customers who are asking for it.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat