cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Simply Everything Plans Now a Requirment for PDA's/Smartphones

Highlighted
Journeyman

Simply Everything Plans Now a Requirment for PDA's/Smartphones

Having worked within the industry for a little over 15 years I have seen a lot of foolish decisions made by cell phone carriers. The rumor, which has been acknowledged by a number of independent sources, is claiming that users who are requesting to upgrade their PDA cell phones are being required to sign up for a Simply Everything Calling/Data plan. In addition, some have claimed that this new strategy may also affect those who do not plan to be upgrading their smart phones anytime soon. It is claimed that all current subscribers will need to upgrade to a plan sometime in the future leaving behind data, multimedia, and texting add-ons as with the current a' la carte approach.

One of the big things we learn very quickly in the wireless industry, at least in terms of marketing, it to keep our eyes on the ARPU, or the Average Revenue Per User. As of December 2007, the average U.S. consumer was spending $49.79 per month on their wireless bills. With Simply Everything plans starting at $69.99 that may push people over the edge of being able to afford any type of plan. However, it is important to note that this appears to only affect PDA users at this time, and not the "traditional" cell-phone. One important note to take into consideration though is that analysts are expecting these "traditional" or mid-market cell phones to begin losing significant ground to more fully-featured PDA's.

While the ability to access multimedia content (which for some, is reportedly still unavailable for their PDA's) and GPS while having the use of unlimited texting and data access sounds great, I can only assume from my time spent in the business that this will likely upset many customers to wish to either keep their current plan or would like to at some point upgrade their PDA's. Some could, quite possible, refrain from getting a new device if it requires them to "upgrade" their current plan.

This is, of course, not verified or confirmed by an official Sprint spokesperson, but it does appear that if you want a new PDA you will need to select plans starting at $69.99, that being confirmed by number of recently surprised customers who called customer support. If this is true, are you willing to simplify your bill to Simply Everything?

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=165677.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/showthread.php?p=1455745

Message Edited by insider75 on 07-02-2008 10:59 PM
Message Edited by insider75 on 07-03-2008 12:17 AM

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Master

Re: Simply Everything Plans Now a Requirment for PDA's/Smartphones

Just read about this on Gizmodo... I haven't heard of anything remotely similar in our store. The only requirement for a PDA phone that I know of is if you want to get the mail in rebate it has to have at least a $25 data plan, or data included in the plan itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know, it was quite the surprise also to see this new type of stategy being enforced. However I recently contacted the main level of customer service who confirmed that new PDA's/Smartphones require an "Everything Plan". In addition, if you purchase through the website it also requires this type of plan. I have a feeling local channels may take time to catch up. It's an odd type of decision considering the general consumer is looking for ways to cut back on these types of expenses. I will be interested to see how this pans out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

@insider75 wrote:
It's an odd type of decision considering the general consumer is looking for ways to cut back on these types of expenses.

I think it is an odd decision because the only reason anyone I know is with sprint and tolerates billing issues, support issues and horrible customer service is to get low monthly rates. Take away the low monthly rates and what are you left with - billing issues, support issues and horible customer service - not a lot of incentive there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Rumors, what would we do without them.

Just to see if I could, I went through the motions to switch my Mogul over to a Samsung Instinct. I woud have gone through with it, but the Instinct doesn't have WiFi, so it is useless for my needs.

Anyway, they wanted something like $450. There was NO mention of changing my plan to a Simply Everything plan.

Besides, if they tried to change our plans over to a Simply Everything plan, we could legally walk away from the contract. However, once your contract runs out, they can switch you but then, you are free to move on. Hard to imagine that Sprint would intentionally drive customers away, especially when they are having a hard time keeping customers as it is.

Kenny

Highlighted
Journeyman

ehh, I switched mine over to an everything plan recently. I just happened to glance at a brochure and noticed that I could switch to the 1500 minute share plan (had 550 before) and still have all of the extra features that I did before, bus still save about $20 -$25 per month (I have 3 phones on the plan)

I know it probably doesn't work out quite as well for most, but paying less for 3 times as many minutes is the kind of math I like!

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat