Sprint 6800 - Is it GPS able

Journeyman

Sprint 6800 - Is it GPS able

or does it require and external device?
And availability?

4 REPLIES 4
Journeyman

Re: Sprint 6800 - Is it GPS able

The 6700 has a GPS chip aboard - SPrint disabled it or Sprint may word it as they didn't request the GPS to be enabled - a rose by any other name. The 6800 has a similar GPS chip aboard. There is a VERY long thread in PPCGeeks and pdaphone home of people who have tried to enable the gps but so far I don't think I've seen any success in this. Unless Sprint changes their way of thinking the GPS chip aboard the 6800 will also be disabled or not enabled. The unit can be triangulated for 911 calls but if you want to use free software such as microsoft live search for getting real time directions, you'll probably need to purchase an external GPS receiver even though there is one aboard the 6700 and 6800. Seems silly to spend another $100 and have the additional bulkfor something already aboard your unit but Sprint makes the decisions on this.
They sell some subscription based monthly fee GPS service so I guess they would have a hard time selling that to you if they left the GPS unit enabled. Hopefully the same people who brought you AKU 3.5 for the 6700 even though Sprint doesn't offer it will also find a hack to enable what Sprint has not enabled on the 6700 and the 6800.
Please comment if you want Sprint to ship it with the GPS enabled.

http://stuff.michiganbroadband.com/xv6700-gps/DSCF0201.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d71/cac9478/GPS.jpg

While it is not a full featured GPS unit, it is AGPS which requires a ongoing call to keep a location - Sprint charges $10 a month for family locator which basically does this. With Verizon there is a free number(other than minutes) depending on your location to get you that info.

Message Edited by boe on 05-03-200707:12 PM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Sprint 6800 - Is it GPS able

They should definitely enable it. That is one really bad business decision. I would like to know the logic behind it. Not enabling it would only cost Sprint future business in my opinion.

Message Edited by killabee44 on 05-07-2007 11:09 PM

Journeyman

6800 perceived available

I wrote to the executive offices at Sprintand they mentioned that many new phones will be released around the 14th of May.
The did not commit to the 14th but did imply that the 6800 will be available at that time.
I am a happy man since my treo is dead

Journeyman

Re: 6800 perceived available

Ok...... so... what did they say about the GPS?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat