cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Accidentally Confirms Plans to Release Palm Treo Pro

Re: Sprint Accidentally Confirms Plans to Release Palm Treo Pro

The Pre is still on track to be released in the first half of this year from everything I have seen online. The Pro is still going to be widely released, it was pulled because of a memory bug in the software according to numerous reports from those who did manage to get one, so instead of pulling an 800w they decided to just stop selling it until that can be fixed.

If the device is supposed to have around 45mb of memory when it is turned on and instead it drops to 20 within minutes that is a pretty big issue that I would rather is fixed prior to release.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Journeyman

This phone looks great but I'm debating on whether on waiting for the pre or taking this phone. Is this more of a business type of phone?

Journeyman

Palm's website still says the Pre is scheduled for the first half of this year.

As far as skipping goes -

Palm is abandoning that OS. All new palm devices will use the web OS. Of course you can still get support, for a while at least, on the current OS, but unless you are one of those people who buys a new phone every year, I would not invest in any phone with the current Palm OS when you already know that Palm has officially announced they are moving all their resources to the new OS and that is where development is going to be from here on out. It's just a waste of money unless you have some kind of special configuration or application that you need and can't wait for a new version of it to come out on the web os.

Journeyman

What is the real deal on the Pro's GPS? After the incredible disappointment of the the 800w's GPS (not to mention all its other faults), I was looking forward to what they call "autonomous" GPS, which is what everyone thought "standalone" meant but Palm redefined into "leaning on the network". Now I see on Palm's website that the Pro, "soon on Sprint" is like this:

GPS and email require an account and data services at additional cost; available within wireless coverage area only.

That's pretty plain that it's as useless as the 800w (I'm in Australia now and don't let the Palm fan-boys claim standalone operation)

Journeyman rdm
Journeyman

jverity wrote:
As far as skipping goes -

Palm is abandoning that OS. All new palm devices will use the web OS. Of course you can still get support, for a while at least, on the current OS, but unless you are one of those people who buys a new phone every year, I would not invest in any phone with the current Palm OS when you already know that Palm has officially announced they are moving all their resources to the new OS and that is where development is going to be from here on out. It's just a waste of money unless you have some kind of special configuration or application that you need and can't wait for a new version of it to come out on the web os.

Can you please look at thread title or read one sentence about a device before making such amazingly incorrect and misleading statements.

The OS on the Treo Pro is Windows Mobile, the largest most capable Operating system, which will always be much much larger user base the (interesting) Linux adaption with WebOS. It is in 50 million handhelds and growing by about 20 million devices per year.

There is no more sure thing when it comes to future support, applications and user base than buying windows mobile device like the Treo Pro.

Journeyman

rdm wrote:

There is no more sure thing when it comes to future support, applications and user base than buying windows mobile device like the Treo Pro.

Um, no.

Once the hardware manufacturer stops supporting a device, OS updates are not certified against the device, and you have no idea how long new updates and applications are going to continue to work for you. If you like what is available for it RIGHT NOW and nver plan to add anything to the phone, go ahead, but, for example, I used to have a Viewsonic PDA device running a windows OS that I bought on a great deal because it was being discontinued. Worked great for a few months until an app I really wanted caused the thing to crash repeatedly because of a known bug in the OS, that was fixed for other devices but not available for mine because no one bothered to waste time testing it against my hardware since it was EOL.

Like PALM said, they are moving all of their resources to the new os. They are betting everything on the Pre to stay afloat. They are not developing Palm os anymore, and as far as windows goes, they haven't said anything specific, but their statement makes it sound like they are abandoning support for that as well.

Go get a definitive statement from palm, or take your chances, up to you. I wouldn't waste my time or money on equipment that the manufacturer has already said they are pulling their support resources away from. When you call microsoft, as soon as they can peg any issue on hardware, even if it's not hardware failure but just drivers or some other incompatibility, they tell you to call the manufacturer. What are you going to do if Palm doesn't pic up the phone in any department except Pre Support?

Journeyman

rdm wrote:

The OS on the Treo Pro is Windows Mobile, the largest most capable Operating system, which will always be much much larger user base the (interesting) Linux adaption with WebOS. It is in 50 million handhelds and growing by about 20 million devices per year.

Other OS's are doing well also, such as RIM and Symbian.

Well, I have an 800w, and I can assure you that support from the trio of Sprint-Palm-MS is all but useless. Bugs have been reported for a long time with no fixes whatsoever.

The solution seems to be wait for WM 6.5, and equipment that runs it. Then there will be new bugs that won't be fixed until the next generation.

Journeyman UAM
Journeyman

No no you silly Rabbit, you seem a bit lost.

You need to learn before preaching. The Palm Treo Pro is actually made and supported by the largest growing smartphone maker in the world, HTC, and it is about 20 times bigger than Palm. The Palm Treo Pro just has Palm's name on it, it is a 100% HTC machine. That is the Treo Prois good and so much better than Palm's attempt, the 800w.

Also if you call about an advanced issue with Palm Treo Pro, you are actually speaking to HTC, which has a very robust presence in the US due to its very successful handsets such as the Touch, Touch Pro, Touch Pro 2, etc.

So the "hardware manufacture" of the Treo Pro is fully behind windows mobile, fully behind the HTCdesigned, manufactured and supported Palm Treo Pro.

You may wish to learn that there were 20 million windows mobile and growing devices sold last year alone, and HTC made 80% of them.

There is a hundreds of millions dollarindustry and growing in third party applications for Treo Pro's OS, and a multi billion dollar industry in production and growing of handsets with windows mobile.

If you are growing to worry about systems where there is some doubt of future support by the manufacturer and third parties that would be the Palm Pre. I am not too worried about the Palm Pre but given Palms one foot in the grave finaincail positionm, the risks you are talking about are 100x the worry on Palms "new" operating system vs WM on the HTC Palm Treo Pro.

Please don't worry people with bad facts!

jverity wrote:

Once the hardware manufacturer stops supporting a device, OS updates are not certified against the device, and you have no idea how long new updates and applications are going to continue to work for you. If you like what is available for it RIGHT NOW and nver plan to add anything to the phone, go ahead, but, for example, I used to have a Viewsonic PDA device running a windows OS that I bought on a great deal because it was being discontinued. Worked great for a few months until an app I really wanted caused the thing to crash repeatedly because of a known bug in the OS, that was fixed for other devices but not available for mine because no one bothered to waste time testing it against my hardware since it was EOL.

Like PALM said, they are moving all of their resources to the new os. They are betting everything on the Pre to stay afloat. They are not developing Palm os anymore, and as far as windows goes, they haven't said anything specific, but their statement makes it sound like they are abandoning support for that as well.

Go get a definitive statement from palm, or take your chances, up to you. I wouldn't waste my time or money on equipment that the manufacturer has already said they are pulling their support resources away from. When you call microsoft, as soon as they can peg any issue on hardware, even if it's not hardware failure but just drivers or some other incompatibility, they tell you to call the manufacturer. What are you going to do if Palm doesn't pic up the phone in any department except Pre Support?

Community News

Having trouble posting or viewing your Private Messages? We made an update to the Community registration process which requires you to validate your email, click here to read more about it.