cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint needs more of the Windows Phones...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint needs more of the Windows Phones...

Iphone - Overdone...

Android - Fragmented OS...

Crackberry??  'Cmon...

Sprint has only 1 windows Phone, and it's not even a very good one.

ATT has the Nokia Lumia, Samsung Focus, Samsung Focus Flash, Focus 2, and the HTC Titain.

Sprint has...  Well... the arrive...  -It arrived so long ago I almost forgot it's name...

C'mon Sprint.  Get with it. 

Why are your phones always lagging so far behind... with the exception of the short lived success of the EVO

21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree that Sprint needs to offer a few more windows Phones. B ut I'm happy with the Arrive. Also, the Office/Skydrive integration is what really sets Windows phone apart. That and just the integration of facebook, linked in , twitter, etc.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After seeing the WP8 preview yesterday I hope Sprint jumps on board, it has everything and is a great alternative for those of us who want a differnent choice. Even Verizon said they were on board and so the CDMA argument doesn't work, hopefully Sprint follows suit. I would love a Nokia on Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tennis-freak wrote:

[...]

Sure the Windows marketplace has fewer apps but it has just been announced that they now have almost 100,000 apps (reached this milestone faster than Android or iPhone apps stores) and the number of apps being submitted every week is growing exponentially.  In fact Windows marketplace is the fastest growning marketplace right now outpacing both Android and iPhone.

Microsoft has not officially said current Windows phone will not be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8, you are either misinformed or outright lieing.

I am a Microsoft .Net developer and we are already developing apps for Windows 8 (mobile version too) and it will not be running on a "new" language that current apps will not be albe to run on.  Apps will be written in the Microsoft .Net family of languages which are JIT languages that all compile to the same intermediate language.  Sure there are going to be some new frameworks available (especially for GUI's) but it wont be anything that is "incompatible" with existing apps.

Please dont misinform people with your uninformed opinions.

Would you care to retract your comments after the official announcement on 6/21/2012, where Microsoft stated that current phones running 7.5 will not get Windows 8 Phone OS? Please read this article and try and comprehend the facts. The article even states that applications made for Windows 8 Phone aren't backward compatible. While I may have said it was a new language, it seems the new OS is causing the grief. Like I said, the current app selection is terrible and this announcement won't make it any better for existing Mango users. Who will want to develop apps for a essentially dead OS? This whole announcement basically is the death of the current Windows Mobile phone lineup and can potentially really hurt Microsoft.

http://www.crn.com/news/mobility/240002436/no-windows-phone-8-upgrade-path-for-wp7-users.htm;jsessio...

Please don't misinform people with your uninformed opinions.

Message was edited by: mapesy

Highlighted
Journeyman

Okay, I wrote the start of this thread and have been watching this conversation for a while now to see where it went...

blkjakwi, I'm sorry to say it, but your concept of progress is flawed...

You are arguing that the "NEW" applications for the "NEW" Windows 8 Phone OS should be written so they can all be run on the old phone.  Do you see a problem with that though pattern? 

That's like saying that X64 applications should be allowed to run on an X86 machine.  Or that Windows 7 applications should be able to run on Windows XP.  Really? 

WOW!  what an upgrade...  If that were the case... then the only thing that changed was the name of the OS.  What does it do differently... Nothing.  It's the same.

Android currently has apps which will only run on the latest OS, Iphone also does the same thing.  Basically the new OS allows for new code/features.  Of course the old OS won't be able to incorporate the new features/code... that's why the are called "NEW" features. 

What you are arguing aginst the the very concept of backward compatibility.  Allowing the new OS to run the OLD applications...  Hence why Windows XP, Windows 7, Internet Explorer 8, Android, etc. All are backward compatible in the sense that they can run the code written for the OLDER OS.  Like a x64 system can run code for X86.

I've never seen in IE, Windows, Android or IOS... "Forward Compatibility Mode"  When I see it... I truely will be amazed.

As to not being able to upgrade the Windows 7 Phones to Windows 8... Sure i can see that being an argument.  But then again... Progress... Hardware requirements, etc. 

Back to the original intent of this thread. More windows Phones.  If you like your current Phone/Product.  Good for you.  It works for you.  No one wants to change that or change you...

However, some of us would like to see something that works better for us, allows greater integration into our buisness applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Notes, Visio, Etc.) that we use on a regular basis.

I hope you can appreciate the essence of this thread rather than turn this into a mud slinging match.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I saw the prview for the Windows 8 phone yesterday and I have to get one. All I can say is Sprint better get their act together fast.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think you mistaking the point of my posts. I get the backward/forward compatibility comments you made. In my opinion, anyone who currently has a Windows phone or will buy one before the Windows 8 models are out are essentially holding a dead product. I feel that Microsoft is going to alienate their existing user base by releasing a completely new phone OS this soon. As stated. there are no plans to update existing phones to 8. With Android and iOS, you at least stood a chance to a free upgrade and lengthen the longevity or usefulness of the phone. I don't think we'll see any of the more popular applications written to support both the existing 7.5 Mango OS and the new 8 phone OS. I could be wrong however, and I hope I am.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Microsoft is making bold moves to get some traction in the phone market at the potential expense of their user base. I think this move will cause people to pause before purchasing another Windows Phone. I appreciate your offer to discuss this in a civil manner.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok I will retract my earlier statement about Microsoft not officially stating current phones wont be upgradeable to Windows Phone 8, as they did just that yesterday.

I would like to state the current Windows Phone 7.5 users are not left completely out in the cold though.  They will be getting an upgrade to Windows Phone 7.8 which will include some of the features that will be in Windows Phone 8 (a big one is the new home screen capabilities).

Also all current apps in the Marketplace will run on Windows Phone 8.  Furthermore Windows Phone 7.8 will not automatically not be able to run any new apps once Windows Phone 8 comes out.  Developers will still be able to create apps that run on both 7.8 and 8 without any extra coding or worries (of course if dev chooses to they can access new Windows 8 API for those phones).

BUT

Windows Phone 8 will introduce the abilitiy to run native (non intermediate) language apps (C++).  Apps coded in these languages will not be able to run on 7.8 so those useres will loose out.

Long story short Microsoft is doing this because they are trying to merge mobile and desktop OS together into one and this could not be done on the legacy founded Windows Phone 7 OS.  While it does suck Microsoft is actually doing a decent job in still giving the outgoing OS some lasting life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tennis-freak wrote:

Long story short Microsoft is doing this because they are trying to merge mobile and desktop OS together into one and this could not be done on the legacy founded Windows Phone 7 OS.  While it does suck Microsoft is actually doing a decent job in still giving the outgoing OS some lasting life.

Agreed. I really hope that MS can pull this off smoothly, and not half baked like Windows Phone 7 was done. Windows Phone 7 wasn't very impressive (at least to me) until Mango was released. I really wanted that phone to work for me, but unfortunately it fell short of my needs.

It looks like Microsoft did a 180 and is now supporting OTA upgrades, MicroSD and multi-proc hardware. I wonder if battery life will be the same with more cores?. My HD7 was fantastic in that aspect.

Side note: the new Surface tablet looks really exciting but I would opt for the Pro varient.

Highlighted
Journeyman

hopefully sprint gets smart because alot of people are going to want a windows phone especially me and, if sprint doesn't come out with it , ill end up paying my cancelation fees and go somewhere else like many other people, so if any from sprint actually reads this make it happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

review this link http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/479092 and let dan@sprint.com know you want WP8 phone

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat