cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's plans for WM going forward?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint's plans for WM going forward?

Sprint's pricing on its three most recent WM releases, its lack of announcement of support for WM 6.5 updates for existing WM devices or of the release of upcoming WM devices, its pushing of WebOS and Android, all seem to me to be signaling an intention to reduce support of WinMo to a level intended to (barely) satisfy its remaining core of WinMo enthusiasts.

Are there any Sprint employees monitoring this board with info on Sprint's plans for WinMo going forward? Sprint seems to me to be signaling that if you're interested in WinMo, it might be time to start considering porting out, and if this is an incorrect assessment I'd appreciate information to the contrary.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Journeyman
Journeyman

Well, Sprint just launched the Samsung Intrepid, which is a Windows Mobil 6.5 phone today (Oct.11) and just recently launched the Touch Pro2, which shipped with Windows Mobile 6.1 not sure when the update for 6.5 will come (I think I read somewhere on this site about 1Q 2010?, I'll have to check around)

Earlier this summer (July, I think) Sprint also released the HTC Snap...........so thats 3 new Windows Mobile phones in the 3 months or so. Windows 6.5 was just released, so I would give it a little time, but I see no sign that Sprint is not planning on carrying and supporting the Windows Mobile OS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't aware of the Intrepid.

The Intrepid and Snap: I look at these phones and see not much more than a replacement for the Q9c, or really what the Q9c should have been at its release two years ago. I mean, in terms of form factor they are basically clones of the Q9s; I'm surprised Moto isn't suing  them. The Intrepid has SIM support and Wifi, and the Snap and presumably the Intrepid too, though I haven't seen its detailed specs, have more RAM and so probably run better than the Q9c did; but really, these phones aren't much more than the Q9c really should have been IMHO. (E.g., the CDMA Q9 versions were released concurrently with the Q9 global/Q9h versions, and they had Wifi and more memory than either the Sprint/Verizon Q9c or the Verizon Moto Q9m.)

So even taking these newer devices into account, Sprint seems to be offering not a whole lot new on the WinMo front. These devices are relatively cheap, but they are simpler hardware-wise and so one would expect them to be cheaper. And they are running WinMo Standard/Smartphone, which doesn't do all the things WinMo Pro does. Sprint has release only one high-end, WinMo Pro device, and it has priced it at a level which makes it clear that Sprint really isn't interested in selling it at high volumes (especially given where its competitors are pricing comparable devices).

All in all, Sprint is selling its WinMo devices at price points considerably higher than its WebOS or Android devices when features are taken into account. It almost seems like Sprint is saying, well, we'll sell you this ONE  high-end WinMo device if you really want it, but if you're not a business customer, you'll have to pay for your little offbeat preference. Here, check out this Pre! Check out this Hero! You'll get a much more capable device for your money if you go with our Android or WebOS devices!

And I haven't heard anything about upcoming really high-powered/more capable WinMo devices (e.g., Whitestone/Diamond 2 slab phone with better camera, Qualcomm Snapdragon-based devices that are already rolling out from HTC and Toshiba).

Highlighted
Master

The Samsung Intrepid is the replacement for the Samsung ACE II which was also a world phone. The main feature differences from the ACE II are the WinMo 6.5 out of the box, and the fact that the Intrepid has a touchscreen and therefore WinMo Professional, and more GSM bands supported as well as UMTS.

The HTC Snap on the other hand is a non-touchscreen smartphone with lower specs on purpose. It is meant to be an entry-level smartphone without all of the bells and whistles.

Not to mention the HTC Touch Pro2 released recently improving upon the original Touch Pro.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat