Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprints VP has assured I am moving to another provider...

Journeyman

Sprints VP has assured I am moving to another provider...

Sprints VP of Product Realization David Owens had this to say about Windows Phone:

"We have a Windows device in our lineup, but honestly, it hasn't done well enough for us to jump back into the fire. We told Microsoft: You guys have to go build the enthusiasm for the product."

Owens also stated the the number one reason the HTC Arrive, Sprint's only Windows Phone, was returned was the user experience. Sprint's Director of Product Development Lois Fagan added,

"We want to participate in the market, but we can't build that brand by ourself. We're cautiously optimistic, but [Windows Phone] just hasn't taken off."

Ironically enough, the Arrive has fantastic customer ratings on Sprints own site...  Virtually all 5 star reviews for look and feel and performance.

So that's it... I'm sick of waiting for new WP7 devices.  I'm sick of waiting for Sprint to support Visual Voicemail for WP7.  If Sprint isn't interrested in the platform, i'm not interrested in Sprint.  I'll be cancelling my account here as soon as the N900 is available on ATT.

3 REPLIES 3
Journeyman

Same here. I had been a very loyal VZW customer, but left them after years (and having worked at VZW) because it looked like Sprint was going to support Windows Phone. Since they aren't interested once the Lumia 900 hits the market I'll be paying the ETF and leaving. I have 0 desire to stick with a provider that has 0 desire to have me as a customer.

Journeyman

Similar here, but we'll wait for the contract to expire soon!

I don't understand his comment about customer satisfaction of WP since the rating is great in the Sprint store!

Journeyman

Here's the thing about Sprint's view/situation with Windows Phones. Because they were so late out of the box with Windows Phones (Arrive came out in March), they missed the holiday buying season and the early adopter rush on the original wave that happened at the end of 2010.

The Arrive is a decent phone, but it had nothing beyond a hardware keyboard to differentiate it from the other Windows phones available, so very few people would have switched to Spring from elsewhere. As such, those people who originally bought the Arrive were likely android users on expiring contracts. It's not surprising that that audience wasn't too terribly excited with the Arrive. A few people tried it out, but some of those things that make Windows Phone an excellent choice for first time smart phone buyers and people who just want their phone to work failed to cause an initial excitement around the platform.

Then Sprint compounded the error by not jumping on an upgraded Mango model for this holiday season, despite the fact that their own ratings system shows the gradual acceptance and support for the platform. They were so focused on the Iphone, they got on the train at the end of that ride, and are missing getting in on the ground floor for the next ride (how is that for a mixed metaphor?).

I doesn't really surprise me that Sprint is taking this approach based on it's experience, but it ought to recognize that it is the reason for its own experience.

They really missed an opportunity; of all the platforms out there, Windows Phone has the potential for the biggest growth in marketshare and the provider that recognizes this can set itself up for years (see AT&T with the Iphone and now they are following suit with the Windows Phone).

Furthermore, they are angering what appears to be a very enthusiastic, albeit small as far as Sprint is concerned, user base. Having only one model of Windows Phone for what looks like 1.5 years is just insane in an industry where phones have a shelf life of 6 months. I get it Sprint, your experience doesn't warrant being the leader among providers when it comes to Windows Phone, but all evidence does show you that Windows Phone is moderately successful and deserve at least attention.

It's just crazy to keep trotting out a first generation Windows Phone and expect your customer base to stick around.

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat