cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T-Mobile trying to buy Sprint

Highlighted
Master

T-Mobile trying to buy Sprint

Yo Sprint, what's going on? According to Market Watch, Deutsche Telecom AG is looking at buying you and combining it with T-Mobile.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/german-phone-giant-said-to-be-going-for-sprint-2009-09-14

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
15 REPLIES 15
Wizard

Re: T-Mobile trying to buy Sprint

I am just taking the news (rumors) as an urban legend. I doubt it will happen.

Just my 2 cents

Marc

Master

I agree, but this has me worried because it's on MarketWatch. Hopefully it doesn't pan out.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Master

This has been popping its head up for a while, and each time nothing comes of it. The FCC is already looking at T-mobile and DT Mobile because DT owns something like 30% of T-mobile. The maximum a foreign company acan own of a US company is 20%. If they try to purchase Sprint the FCC simply wouldn't allow the merger to go through.

From PhoneScoop:

"The Verizon Wireless-Alltel acquisition has caused the FCC to review other carriers and it has found that Deutsche Telekom is violating U.S. law by owning too much of T-Mobile USA. Deutsche Telekom owns 30% of T-Mobile USA, and the legal limit states that foreign entities cannot own more than 20% of an entity controlling a common carrier license. The FCC sent T-Mobile USA a letter asking how it might come into compliance with the law. T-Mobile has 30 days to respond and is considering its options, which could entail some simple paperwork."

Master

Interesting, wasn't aware they had that much stake in T-Mobile. Thanks for that.

--

Journeyman

The 20% foreign ownership law is false..

Virgin Group UK owns 25% of Virgin America

Vodafone UK owns 45% of Verizon Wireless....

Those are just TWO examples of foreign ownership of companies that are more then this supposed 20% law, which by the way, by US law, its 25% of US Airlines just if you were wondering about that, which alone overrides this 20%.

As we all know, when a Sprint Employee says "This is not true, this will not happen" we know 100% it WILL happen.

Master

I take offense to that comment rwalford79. I never intentionally say anything false to a customer. I have seen that 20% mentioned a lot in numerous places, the phonescoop one was just one of those that related to this particular point. You saying that I would say something like that is a personal attack on my character.

This has been brought up numerous times in the past and nothing has ever come of it. I don't see anything new in this version compared to the others that makes me think it is any more true. As with anything on wall street, tkae every rumor with a grain of salt. And this is a rumor unless there is an official corporate communication about it, don't fool yourself by thinking otherwise. If it happens, it will be announced, if it doesn't it won't be announced obviosuly; it is that simple.

Journeyman

t mobile will not buy sprint watch and see not going to happen

Journeyman

Take it as a personal attack then, I cant be held responsible for your sensitivity toward facts that have been stated by law.

Intentional or unintentional doesn't really matter, because most Sprint employees are uninformed, and only hear rumors, much like customers, and bloggers. So regardless if you wouldn't intentionally share something that is incorrect, is irrelevant.

There have been many occasions I have spoke with Customer Care, and other Sprint employees who said something doesn't exist, something wont happen, or that there is no plan for something, yet days, weeks, or even a few months later, it all was incorrect information, and I was proven correct.

Sure this rumor has gone around many many times, but so did the one about T-Mobile buying Suncom years prior to them actually buying them out. Guess what though...They bought them out, and the rumor proved to be quite true.

So what does this leave us? T-Mobile buying out Sprint is still a very good possibility, especially since Sprint stock has dropped to a price just slightly more then Suncom's stock was when T-Mobile bought them out. So lets not rule anything out at this point. Sprint needs anything to help them out financially.

Sorry you feel the need to so diligently defend what you said as truth, but you are mistaken in your information.

Master

Your comment about sprint employees was what I was referring to about taking personally, that is not stated by law, it is your opinion. An opinion that you can express, but one that also may be taken personally and result in people around here not wanting to help you beyond normal means if you request it, or other users to start ignoring your comments because you aren't being respectful.

There are users here who get on people's nerves, but they are usually respectful. If you don't give others respect don't expect it back. So I am going to leave this thread now since it has gone off topic. I jsut wish there were a way to reduce the amount of trolling on these boards, but alas there's no use when people simply don't have the common courtesy to give other people respect until they prove they aren't worthy of it. Respect goes a long way towards others helping you out, and it is something severely lacking in our daily society now.

Wizard

Journeyman

I am probably the last person to defend Sprint but I really think that was uncalled for. All any of us that come here can do is offer the best advice and or information we are aware of and I think that Halcyoncmd was trying to do just that

Not to attack you but to be quite blunt I see where he posted a quote with a source for the info he provided. I don't see the same for you!

My point is that we don't have enough Sprint employees let alone forum members participating in these forums and if things like this continue to discourage participation then what will be left.

You are entitled to your view and opinions but I really think that was going overboard.

Just my opinion.

Kris

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat