cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Pro 2 and Windows Mobile 6.5

Journeyman

Touch Pro 2 and Windows Mobile 6.5

I am waiting on the Touch Pro 2 to switch from T-Mobile.  But I'd also like to get Windows Mobile 6.5 instead of the 6.1 it will initially ship with.  Does anyone know if an upgrade will be made available for this phone eventually, after 6.5 is officially released?.  Or will the Touch Pro 2 start shipping with 6.5 some time after the October 6 release date?  In the past, I've seen T-Mobile announce that a phone will or will not have an OS upgrade available at some point.  I think they did that with their Wing and Dash.

Does Sprint ever announce that kind of thing?  Do they typically provide OS upgrades at some point, or are you usually stuck with what your phone ships with?  And does anyone know if this phone will ever ship with 6.5 ?

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Journeyman MDG
Journeyman

Re: Touch Pro 2 and Windows Mobile 6.5

In the past Sprint has provided updates to the Windows and Blackberry OS's on phones, however, they typically don't seem to happen immediately upon release of the new update (ie...6.5) as HTC and Sprint both need to do testing on the update to make sure it does'nt cause conflicts in other apps or areas of the phone. So I would not expect an update in October.

So I would hesitate on purchasing a phone with 6.1 on it, if its going to be a deal breaker for you if the 6.5 release is many months out or if at all.

Master

It's probably gonna be a while before Sprint releases a 6.5 update. Plus, there's no gurantee that they'll even release it for the TP2.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

AT&T just announced that they're going to be launching the Touch Pro 2 with Windows Mobile 6.5 so I find it very likely that an update will be made available.  My hope is that in a month or so that all the carriers will offer their version of the phone brand new with 6.5.  I'd rather not have to upgrade the phone on the day I buy it.  If I can get a Touch Pro 2 on Sprint with WinMo 6.5 I'll be switching from AT&T.  Sprint has the best service plans by far.

Journeyman

Here's the link to the new thread with an announcement from Sprint on Windows Mobile 6.5.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/26301?tstart=0

Journeyman

I have just one question. Versions? Will we also get upgraded to Sense (if so which version) or will TouchFlo 3D remain the HTC interface? Will we get the latest build of 6.5 or something else? Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear that the upgrade is in the works although a lot of us expected it around launch for the TP2, I'm just curious about what we can expect.

Master

Correct link; http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Find_and_update_the_software_version_on_your_HTC_Touch_Pro...

Sprint says it will give users of its HTC Touch Pro2 an upgrade to the latest version of Microsoft's mobile operating system for free. This upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5  Pro might not be available for several months, though.

This smartphone was released last year with version 6.1, and an upgrade will provide some new features, including ones specific to Sprint's version.

According to a statement on this carrier's support website:

This upgrade will not only provide updates to the Windows Mobile platform, but also significant enhancements to the Touch Pro2 user interface which will allow additional customization/personalization options and more integration with the applications users access most.

The launch of this new version may still be some time away. At this point, Sprint is only saying that it will be released in the first quarter of this year.

What's new in Windows Mobile 6.5?
The latest version of Microsoft's operating system for high-end phones isn't a major upgrade, but tweaks the user interface to make it more fingertip friendly, with many on-screen elements enlarged so users can select them without a stylus.

Windows Mobile 6.5 also has more of a focus on consumers, as the Today Screen has been modified to include items like a music player and photo viewer.

However, the Touch Pro2 comes with HTC's alternate user interface, so many of these changes aren't apparent to users. Still, the new version also comes with a new version of Internet Explorer, and includes access to Microsoft's recently-launched on-device software store.

An overview of the changes can be found in this article: http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=15731&review=Microsoft+Windows+Mobile+6.5.

At this point, there is no additional information on the custom changes Sprint plans to make to this version.

Sprint Promises to Upgrade HTC Touch Pro2 to Windows Mobile 6.5 by March

Message was edited by: Levi4u

Journeyman

Don't believe anything Sprint says. 6.5 is never coming out for TP2. Verizon, US CELLULAR, TMOBILE already have it, but the NOW network has NOTHING.

Journeyman

They will if they want to keep us with them, I don't take another no from Sprint. Their time as carrier is limited for me.

Journeyman

You guys really just don't understand what goes into the Research and Development stages of software releases. Remember that Sprint was the FIRST carrier to offer Windows Mobile 6.0. At this point, with all that is changing in the world of Windows Mobile, so many new things are happening. Sprint wants to release something that obviously no one has at this point. I can almost guarantee that when the ROM update is released for the Touch Pro2, everyone will still complain about it. It's just the way it works.

When the update is released, it'll be well worth the wait for many, but not all. In the meantime, complaining about it won't do anything but make the time go by slower. They say "end of quarter 1." That's at the end of this month.

Journeyman

Extensive "Research and Development" would be greatly reduced if they would not modify the basic OS so much.I find most of thses phones run better if you find away to un-install the "special" software anyway. TouchFlo 3D was the first thing to go on mine, replaced it with SpbMobileShell.

My 2 cents!

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat