cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Touch Pro 2 phone operation with proximity sensor

Highlighted
Journeyman

Touch Pro 2 phone operation with proximity sensor

I don't know if others have had this same experience. I found it to be amazingly frustrating.

The proximity sensor turns off the screen when you hold the device to your ear during a call. The screen will turn back on when you pull the device away from your ear. When it turns back on, it goes back to the Home screen, not the phone keypad screen. So if you need to use the keypad during a phone call – for example to set up voice mail using * and #, or to enter a PIN, it's amazingly cumbersome. To set up my voice mail, after I recorded a greeting and while the recording is still active, I had to go back to phone screen AND reopen the keypad, which delayed an entry to stop the recording. This process added a few seconds of wasted air time, during which all the movements could be heard, making the recorded greeting sound terrible and unprofessional. I had to repeat this process several times before I could get an acceptable greeting recorded that involved some acrobatics to avoid activation of the proximity sensor. This is a very big deal to someone who needs quick access to enter more numbers during a call (PINS, dialing codes, etc) before a system timeout occurs, not to mention the inconvenience mentioned in simply trying to record a business quality voicemail greeting. This looks like a major design flaw to me. According to Sprint cust Service, there is no way to change this behavior. Has anyone else encountered this problem or found a solution? I'd like to either deactivate the proximity sensor, or best option, set the device to return to the phone number pad open screen.

Otherwise, I'm really liking this device. But, since I need to enter access codes during phone calls several times a day, I may be forced to toss this one back and go with something else - maybe an iPhone, which is very popular among my coworkers who have the same need to enter numbers during a call as I do.

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Wizard

That does not sound intuitive, I'm not sure why they would set it up to do that.

I don't have one, but something to try would be hitting the left phone key to see if that pops up the phone instantly.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, the left phone key reopens the phone app, but not the key pad screen. It's just 2 button presses, but it makes a huge impact to the simple act of recording a greeting. Obviously none of the HTC or Sprint executives are using this phone, or it would be configured more intuitively. Or they're having someone else set up voicemail for them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the exact same complaint about the Touch Pro 2 ... I am hoping there is a way to for the proximity sensor to reactivate the TALK STATUS screen where we can access the keypad, rather than the HOME screen.      There are tweaks out there for just about everything ... how silly this little design flaw will create countless more frustrated users.

Highlighted
Journeyman

You can look here for some answers ...

I have the TP2 and my proximity sensor works the way it seems it should with no tweeks. Screen off when up to my ear, on when I move it away and it stays on the phone screen/keypad.  In the following link, it seems some people thought it was linked to their security settings and exchange.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=82944

Highlighted
Journeyman

According to one of the posts from PPCGeeks thread that Meatgel posted above in his post, HTC is working to fix the bug.

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1209233&postcount=116

New Response From [ Stephanie (North America Support (Customer Service)) ]Hello Terry,

Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support regarding your Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2.

I understand the frustration in not having your device functioning properly. Thank you for providing us with that information. HTC is aware of this issue and we are currently working to get this resolved in a timely manner. Please keep watch on our website for more information that may be released for this issue. I do apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced.

You can always find useful information about our HTC products on our self-help user forum at: www.htcwiki.com. In addition, you can find a customer satisfaction survey at: http://survey.htc.com/worldwide/.

Thank You,
Stephanie
HTC Technical Support Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

There was good info and a fix - removal of device lock. not sure how long my IT department will let me get away with it. When I posted to HTC support, the rep acknowledged this was a problem and they were working on it. The more users complain, the faster we'll get a fix. Log those cases with both Sprint and HTC !!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat