cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well looks like MS decided for us

Journeyman

Well looks like MS decided for us

The new Microsoft Lumia 950XL & 950 are rumored to be AT&T exclusives.    What about that law that lets you bring your phone to whatever carrier?? Maybe we could get it that way?

16 REPLIES 16
Wizard

Re: Well looks like MS decided for us

The ruling has to do with phone unlocking. Different thing.

I'm sure Sprint has determined that as it stands right now, they probably wouldn't sell many.

Journeyman

Looks like Sprint is going to be loosing me after 10+ years
Sprint have fun sucking apples iPhone POS and not getting any other new phone unlike other carriers

Journeyman

CNET is the site that originally posted this rumor and they have since retracted it. The new Lumia phones will not be exclusive to AT&T.

[inappropriate link removed]

Message was edited by: TheModerator

"This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines: 
http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-admin-blog/blog/2010/01/01/sprintcom-comm...

Thanks for your participation in the forums!"

Wizard

Still probably won't be picked up by anybody else(Tmobile). Let's call it an unofficial exclusive at ATT. Ha

Journeyman

It may soon not be exclusive to AT&T but I am betting it will be exclusive to GSM networks so Sprint (CDMA Network) will never get it.

Journeyman

Its not an AT&T Exclusive, though AT&T may be the only one selling it at their physical locations.  You'll be able to buy it unlocked for use on any GSM carrier. 

Those of us on Sprint & Verizon appear to be out of luck as it doesn't have the CDMA radios (different from WCDMA) in the phone...so its doubtful we'll be able to use it on Sprint.

Our only hope at this point would be that the Lumia 550 would be available for us...however, coupled with my DirecTV discount & corporate discounts for AT&T, its pretty clear that my 7 years with Sprint are at an end.

Journeyman

So your saying none of this...

WCDMA network: Band 1 (2100MHz), Band 2 (1900MHz), Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz), Band 5 (850MHz), Band 8 (900MHz)

Will work on Sprint???

Wizard

Sprint is band 25(1900), band 26(800), and band 41(2500). Even if you had 1900 support that wouldn't be good enough.

Journeyman

Well this is interesting, the T-MO CEO has directly denied not being interested in getting the Windows phones and says MS is to blame. I cannot supply a link of course because the maybe someday network doesn't like that. Anyway I think we will have to play the waiting game as usual, I'm sure it's not a big issue to add the radio it's just a question of when/if Sprint will.

Journeyman

[inappropriate link removed]

Also
but one mobile industry watcher told me lack of CDMA support means the new Lumias would be unlikely to be able to authenticate, so using them in any real way for voice/data would be highly unlikely. [inappropriate link removed]

Message was edited by: The Moderator - This is a public forum. Please remember that all messages must abide by the Community Guidelines. For your reference, here are the Community Guidelines:  http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/sprintblogs/buzz-admin-blog/blog/2010/01/01/sprintcom-comm...

Thanks for your participation in the forums!

Journeyman

Rebuilding a board to add additional radio's not a big deal?  It doesn't have the CDMA antenna's we need...so you know...that's a big deal.  The Lumia's aren't coming to Sprint or Verizon...that is clear...can't use a phone that can't even connect to Sprint's frequencies.

I still believe the HTC (if they didn't cancel it) will fill the gap with CDMA WM10 devices...maybe on 10/20 when they announce their fall product lineup.  Pure speculation on my part...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat