cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do Sprint agents try to talk down Windows phones?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why do Sprint agents try to talk down Windows phones?

I have been in a couple of sprint stores and for some reason as soon as you mention the new windows phone they automatically try to convince you to buy an android device instead and their best argument is the lack of apps or that not enough people have windows phones, then when I mentioned I don't mind not having Instagram on my phone and I really like the interface and integration of the windows phone with all Microsoft devices they they start bringing up all the great features the phone has like battery life, excellent camera and the endless list.

No wonder windows don't do well on Sprint, that really surprised me. Let me know your opinion.

22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Why do Sprint agents try to talk down Windows phones?

I agree. I ask about windows phones and the sprint employees assume I want the Iphone or galaxy. Its 2013. I called this year the year of "Change". That includes my phone in every aspect. The IOS and the andriod are outdated to me. Im tired of my buggy galaxy s2 phone, Im tired of dealing with it on the daily, Im bored of the andriod interface and I'm tired of the apple interface.

When I walk in a sprint store and ask questions, im always recommended another andriod phone or iphone. Both operating systems has been out for years. So I don't understand why they feel the need to tell me about two phones that almost everyone are well aware of.

The Windows 8 phones are more new and the system that customers need to be more informed of and taught. I don't bother with sprint employees who try to convince me to get andriod or iphone. When they do, I just walk out the store and go to another location or try again another day. I know what I want....... To tell me otherwise is offensive. So if these employees are going to constantly play "Fanboy" and hate on the phones I want, they need to find somewhere else to work. Their responses should never be about their own interests and views. It should always be about what the customer wants and what their looking for. Its too easy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exactly!

Highlighted
Wizard

If you want a windows phone then get a windows phone. Who cares what the rep is pushing. The HTC Arrive sat on the shelf and collected dust and never sold because it sucked.

Reps are going to sell whatever sticks and stays out the door. Returns are bad.

They are also going to sell what they know. They know it is the most advanced to date. Windows Phone has to prove itself to them. Kind of like manufacturers have to prove themselves...like Samsung with the recent Galaxy line.

The HTC Windows Phone is entry level.

I would recommend the Samsung -- maybe..we'll see.

Oh yeah, the Microsoft integration..that will be nice for a lot of people. That is something Microsoft had to bring to the table this time to make it more appealing. And I think some people are very interested in that. -- if it works great.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So true. Sprint reps actually laugh when I try to inquire or purchase a Windows device. The last 3 devices I have purchased, most recently yesterday w/ the 8xt, they snicker and laugh.

That's not much of a bother, but what is alarming to me is that none of the sales people ever understand how the OS works. They are 100% clueless as to the features and the nuances of the operating system.

Sprint must really stress the importance of moving Android and Apple devices ahead of WP.

Highlighted
Journeyman

In order for a Windows phone to prove it self, it has to be given at least the chance to do it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Understandable. But like Mendozilla, it has to be given the chance too. Taking that leap of faith and trying new things. Why be a follower on repetitive, old stuff when you can be a leader of something new? I don't know. maybe its just me.

I think at this day and age, the majority of Americans are WELL aware of Android and Iphones. When the next Galaxy or iphone comes out, people know about it.

Anyway the point is, when I ask about the windows phone at a local sprint store, I expect professional answers or some kind of direction. Not negative opinions and bashing of other phones just because their not popular. What if i dont want the most popular phone? What if I wanted to stand out of the crowd?

Like many others, I can't remember the last time I've had a great experience at a Sprint store. Hopefully things get better now that the Softbank and Clearwire stuff is finished.

Over time, I think people will embrace what these new phones offer. I am definitely one of them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you 100%. I went in to check out the HTC 8XT when it came out and not only did the 2 reps in the store try to convince me towards Android, they also knew close to NOTHING about the 8XT. I knew more about the phone, its internals and the OS than they did.

Dear Sprint - This is disgraceful. When a customer going into a store knows more about the phone on day 1 than the reps hired to sell it to me, it's utterly disappointing. If WP8 flops on Sprint, it won't be because of the phones, their specs, or even the OS. It will be because of lack of marketing, lack of initiative, lack of knowledge. Simply "taking stock" of these phones just to appease people that want something isn't the way to go about it. You're doomed to repeat the mistakes of the Arrive if you don't get in gear (the HTC was advertised on the front page of Sprint's site for what, 2 days tops?) If you actually want to sell a phone, you have to market it, train your people on why it's a good thing to buy (X) versus (Y), etc. Instead of just talking shit about Windows Phone 8 and pushing Android and iOS like crack, how about giving the customer the pros and cons of both and letting the buyer get what best suits them?

That said, I do plan on buying one of the two phones, because I need a new phone and I can't afford to switch carriers at this point. When I went in, despite the internal storage and screen resolution, the HTC felt really nice and was a good mid-range phone. I could feel it - this could be successful. The Sprint employees obviously weren't in the same boat. Here's hoping the Samsung ATIV S Neo is better marketed.

Highlighted
Wizard

You do make some good points in there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mendozilla,

Thanks for the post! I don’t want to talk down about any representative’s knowledge but if you know what phone you want you should go with that. I do apologize that they were not able to help answer the questions for you. I want you to know that if you have any specific questions or need to know anything about any phone feel free to post in here and I’ll be happy to answer it for you. Keep us posted.

Joseph

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is no excuse for the Sprint rep to:

A. Not have knowledge about a product they are selling in the store

B. Trying to show favoritism towards a product, or try to sway someone from a product.

This is what Mendozilla stated in his op.

POPCORN_PLAYA wrote:

Mendozilla,

Thanks for the post! I don’t want to talk down about any representative’s knowledge but if you know what phone you want you should go with that. I do apologize that they were not able to help answer the questions for you. I want you to know that if you have any specific questions or need to know anything about any phone feel free to post in here and I’ll be happy to answer it for you. Keep us posted.

Joseph

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Joseph,

Thank you for your reply, the problem doesn't necessarily relies on lack of knowledge of your reps but rather on lack of professionalism with them commonly trying to bash the windows phones with the only argument that windows store only has 160,000 apps. If you go to a store of the competition the story is different and that's why the Nokia windows phones are doing well there.

I'm not really looking for apologies but for Sprint to notice the problem, perhaps you can this to higher levels so we can see an actual change.

I have been with sprint for many years and the behavior of your reps is really disappointing to me.

Regards, Mendozilla.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat