cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Mobile and Lumia 635

Journeyman

Windows 10 Mobile and Lumia 635

Anyone else trying this out? I have been through several builds but I can tell you for sure that unless I start with WP8.1 and activate, it will not activate from Windows 10 Mobile. Anyone at Sprint aware?

If you are on Windows 10 Mobile and wipe your carrier (I stupidly did this) you will be stuck with going back to WP8.1 AFAIK.

Anyone else see this and want to try? As far as usability/etc. Build 10581 has been pretty darn good for me.

11 REPLIES 11
Journeyman

Re: Windows 10 Mobile and Lumia 635

That does seem to be the case. When I upgraded, I did a hard rest and it would not activate. So I had to roll back to 8.1 and upgrade without doing one.

Journeyman

I know

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know

Journeyman

I did the Windows Insider Preview for Win10Mobile for several months, after upgrading my computers to Win10. I Liked the Win10 IoT experience across my devices. Initially I had a pretty good experience with the phone, with some clunky parts. As time passed I was crashing apps like mad, getting worse after subsequent updates. A new Insider Preview update is due this week, supposedly overcoming a lot of issues.

Finally, though, I reverted to 8.1. Today I read that there is new movement in Win10Mobile RTM, so I checked around.

Windows Store has an App testing phones for Win10 Upgrade. My Sprint Lumia 635 (w/128GB micro card) is 'not eligible' per the App. I believe the 1GB main storage notation I see with many references to 635's may be the issue. I may ditch all the Apps on my phone main storage to double check.

So, if you want to check out Win10Mo on a 635, join Windows Insider. I may go back to that, but I needed the full phone functionality of 8.1 for a time due to business needs. You can always go back to 8.1 with a MS App that manages the downgrade.

the 635's a pretty crappy phone anyway. It was an insurance replacement for my beloved, unavailable HTC 8XT.

I'm thinking next phone, it's time for the Lumia 950XL with the dock for KBM and monitor.

Journeyman

I am currently looking for a good deal on a GSM Lumia and will be soon switching to ATT. It seems the more updates they push out (win 10) the worse my poor little 635 works. (yeah, I think the 1/2 GB of memory is simply not enough and as you point out, not even on the officially supported list anymore)

I can get an unlocked Lumia 550 from MS for $138--looks pretty good for a budget phone and is about the same size as my 635. I like a smaller phone. The 650 looks good at $199 also.

So Sprint, you had me for a long time but I want more.

GrandMaster

its not exactly the carriers fault they cant get the CDMA versions anymore..that is all on Microsoft

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

I won't say it is 'all' on MS...frankly, I still believe if Sprint would push this issue with MS, something might happen. They are a business after all and agreements can be made/etc. But you might be right, maybe MS has drawn a line in the sand -- 'we won't do cdma in the us'...but that seems stupid for any business to make that kind of hard choice.

But I am not going to stay with a company that cannot give me what I want, regardless of who is at fault.

MS can give me what I want just not on Sprint's network--ck

GrandMaster

34.  Re: What NO Windows OS for Smartphones?

MathiuzfromUSN Regular Visitor

Ask Microsoft why they have not bothered to obtain Qualcomm CDMA Certification for their Windows 10 for Mobile platform via the Global Certification Forum first.  Also ask them why they laid off their only Certified Qualcomm CDMA coder from Team Windows Phone in the first round of layoffs last year.  This is starting to look like Windows Phone 7's almost GSM only strategy and treatment in a CDMA based country like the USA.

Microsoft has had a well documented uncooperative history with CDMA carriers using the Qualcomm standard (which is used by almost every CDMA network in the planted, compared to the broken China Mobile based code Microsoft prefers to use in order to avoid keeping a Qualcomm Certified CDMA coder in their team).  This goes back to 2002.  Please save any unresearched responses, as I worked for a preferred manufacturer of field testing device boards for Qualcomm, and CDMA is my life.

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

Sprint might have a guy working for them that could 'ask Microsoft why...' but I guarantee you, I have no such contact in my rolodex. If I did, you better believe that I would be calling him weekly.

That is my only point.

Regardless, how does that help me? I am simply choosing a carrier that can support a newer Windows mobile phone.

Sprint isn't it. Maybe no one is, Man, hat's next. Ask me to buy an iPhone??

GrandMaster

if youre bumping over to a GSM carrier anyways it wont help..all it will do is help understand where the mess up started and didnt start. since both Verizon and Sprint are CDMA one would think that 2 out of the 4 big carriers just got shafted due to this..if any pressure was going to be put on Microsoft its already been done and shot down.

Journeyman

Then, ask Microsoft WHY they have not sent any revision of Windows 10 for Mobile to the Global Certification Forum for Qualcomm CDMA certification? If Microsoft "had an issue" with Verizon, there is Sprint, US Cellular, and 48 regional CDMA carriers in the US and Puerto Rico which Microsoft could have catered to if Windows 10 for mobile had current Qualcomm CDMA code.

The worst part of it is the fact Team Windows for Mobile has not had a Qualcomm Certified CDMA coder (which is a requirement by both Qualcomm and carriers) since early 2015 (Microsoft only had ONE CDMA coder, now has none).

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat