cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

SOLVED
Journeyman

Re: Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

I am also looking forward to the Lumia 920 my contract is over in a few months.  If sprint does not carry it I will be jumping to another carrier.

Journeyman

Yeah, I wish it were possible on Sprint to just go and buy an unlocked cell phone from anywhere and activate it on Sprint. Trouble is that Sprint is on a 'locked' CDMA radio network and does not use SIM cards, so there is not way to 'unlock' a Sprint phone really.  The term 'unlocked phone' actually refers to the unlocked SIM card slot on a GSM phone (AT&T, TMobile, etc).  If the phone is unlocked, then it will allow ANY sim card from any network, but again since Sprint doesn't use SIM cards it would not work.  Technically... it 'is' possible to use another CDMA carrier's (Verizon, US Cellular, MetroPCS, etc) phone on Sprint, but only if you know how to hack into the phone's internal programming and REALLY know what you're doing.  Actually most of the in-store technicians at Sprint or Verizon aren't even knowledgable enough to do this, so good luck! 

Journeyman

Wow - this is upsetting.  I, too, have been waiting anxiously to upgrade our phones to Win8.  We use Microsoft products for all our computers, and I am tired of having my ipad, nook and telephone sync only with patches and various work around's that work "most of the time".  Like others, I'm a long time Sprint customer, since before 1998, that is just as far as my Quicken records take me to check.  I hate to make a change, Sprint has been good to work with.  But not enough to overcome this obstacle. 

You know, if they don't want to make an investment in hardware, they can just give a rebate to customers who purchase the hardware from Best Buy, Radio Shack or Frys.  That way they wouldn't get burned, but their customers could get what then want.  What doesn't work with that arrangement?

Journeyman

I've had sprint for 6 years now thats a long time for me to give up but I guess now its time to move on to bigger and better companies. I have recommended sprint to my family and friends too that will stop. I will never own a andriod or apple product in my life again. I want the WP8 phone, tablet and new computer with windows 8. Window computers is what I used my whole life I want everything I own to be made with windows. I like windows computers and i'm really good at using them. I've been wating for windows to shine. I knew it would of been a matter of time so time to cut all ties and get what I've been waitng for.

Journeyman

I have been with Sprint for 14 years this November and if there is no Windows Phone 8 by the end of the year, I will be done with Sprint.  I want the Nokia Lumia 920.  Tired of waiting on Sprintfor a Windows Phone other than the Arrive.  Its too bad too because I really like Sprint and have recommended my many friends and extended family here.  Lack of Windows Phone 8 is not catering to the customers but rather catering to Apple and their 15+Billion dollar commitment.  Not right.

Journeyman

ok I am going to take a shot at actually giving the original poster an answer.

NO. THERE WILL BE NO WINDOWS PHONES ON SPRINT THIS YEAR.

ok now can I have the points

Journeyman

I know these guys monitor these discussions. I just wish someone would get on here and just tell us something. Good or bad. In the past I have seen comments that look to be from employees of some kind.

Journeyman

I don't think Sprint gets it.

Their average relationships with customers under contract lasted just 51 months. - http://money.cnn.com/2012/03/26/technology/cell-phone-customers/index.htm

People leave. You have many people here who are loyal. Well beyond the 51 months and they want to leave. So how about the ones that are almost done or the ones who are willing to pay the cost of breaking the contract.

I don't get it. Your not dealing with 1 compnay anymore that wants to make a phonw. You got 2 giants. Nokia and Samsung. Nokia has made huge strides and is making a rock solid phone. Samsung has a huge focus on the mobile market and they wouldn't join the Windows 8 wagon if they didn't think it would pay off.

Sprint... make it happen. David Owens, Sprint's VP. You can make this happen.

People will search Windows Phone 8 Sprint and find this thread and never come to Sprint. So now you lose new customers and your old. We want to stay but with a carrier that wants to make things happen for us!

Journeyman

I have been with sprint for 13 years. If i dont have the option to purchase a nice windows 8 device.... i will most probably jump ship. I really like the look of windows 8. Im sick of my android phones and sprint/carrier's update cycles with them. Windows 8 will have everything i want and add the features in the lumia and my mouth waters.

dont let this thread die!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got Sprint and these rumors that we won't get WP8 for a while are unsettling.

As a new customer, I admittedly don't have much loyalty built up for Sprint. No WP8 means I won't mind switching back to or away to another carrier that will give me the device that I want.

If I have to sign up for service for 2 years and use the same device (unless I choose to spend a lot more money to get a new one outside of the contract), then I want to be able to have a device that I want and will enjoy using.

I've used the iPhone a lot, I have an Android phone now. I had a Windows Phone way back when it first came out but wanted it to become a more "mature" device from the hardware and software standpoint. Windows Phone has offered the best experience from any smartphone OS that I've ever had. I want to switch back, but if Sprint won't offer it, then I'm not going to stick around.

It'll be back to AT&T or a switch to Verizon for me if Sprint can't offer what I'm looking for. I'm willing to pay more per month as long as I can get what I want, so those bill comparisons don't mean much to me, nor do the data caps because I don't use enough data to worry about them.

If Sprint can get a great Windows Phone 8 device on their network, then I'll happily extend my contract and even go to a higher rate plan just to get it.

What are you going to do about it, Sprint? I can't be the only one who feels this way.