cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

I read, once, from a Vice President of Microsoft's Product Support division, no less, that for every one critical comment you actually received, there were a hundred people with the same complaint.

I've been with Sprint for over ten years. They have consistently tried harder than any other carrier to get and keep my business, with great plans, good coverage, and excellent customer support.

I love my HTC Arrive, and I love Windows Phone 7, and I really enjoy having a phone that works so well and makes it a pleasure to do everything I want.

I unhesitatingly stayed with Sprint, even while they were later than everyone else getting a Windows Phone 7 out for sale.

I held on to my LG phone while people around me were showing off their Androids and iPhones, and I waited.

I waited because I had seen Windows Phone 7s from other people using other carriers, and I knew it would be worth the wait.

But that was the last time Sprint got me to be more loyal to them than I wanted to be. I will continue to be loyal to Sprint, if they get a Windows Phone 8 out before Christmas.

If they do not get it out before Christmas, then this will be the last contract I keep with Sprint. I hate the thought of going to another carrier, but I would hate it more to be forced to endure months more of watching my peers (and we are all Windows Phone Developers, btw) tease me about being with a carrier that doesn't get how big a deal the Windows Phone 8 will be.

And someone from Sprint probably ought to think (but not for too long) about making a somewhat more official statement about Sprint's intentions with Windows Phone 8, rather than just let this thread go without any apparent notice.

Journeyman

Alan, I must say that your post is EXACTLY how I feel. The only difference is that I've only been with Sprint for 6 years now.

The way Sprint is treating Windows Phone (and Microsoft, by extension) is atrocious. I can understand them wanting to be part of the iPhone craze and having Android is also understandable. From a strictly customer choice standpoint however, is it right to only be wholly supportive of those two brands? RIM/BlackBerry are going thru a transitional period right now as they finalize BB OS 10 so I can understand Sprint's hesitance to supporting current RIM products. Microsoft however, have had Windows Phone out for almost two years now with updates and improvements being released. They just finalized Windows Phone 8 last night, for instance... and their hardware partners are ready (as evidenced by Nokia, Samsung and coming soon, HTC). Where is the carrier support from Sprint?

It really is valuable to have a choice for customers. Having two choices is simply not enough for customer choice. Imagine going to the grocery store and having to pick ONLY from Dannon and Yoplait yogurt. They MAY carry one or two flavors Chobani Greek, but that's all. People would riot and no one would shop there. It's the same idea with Sprint's phone selection. There are literally ONLY iPhones and Androids in the majority of their lineup. Sure, there's the odd BlackBerry or two and the ONE Windows Phone is a 6.5-era device thats for businesses and it's $549 on contract pricing. REALLY?

While Sprint's head is buried in the desert of iPhones and Androids... Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and even regional carrier US Cellular have voiced support of Windows Phone 8! I don't get why Sprint can't even put a toe in the waters with a phone or two this fall from Microsoft.

While the amount of Windows Phone users on Sprint may be a small minority, we are paying customers nonetheless! From what I've been reading in this forum over the past couple of months, people would like to stay with Sprint! It's just that there are no selection of phones we'd be happy to purchase, so we'd have to go to a carrier that supports what we want. Like I've stated in another thread, if Sprint does not make a Windows Phone available for purchase before the end of this year, I'm gone. Why should I give money to someone who doesn't offer what I expect? My contract runs up on 10/3, but I'm willing to give until the end of the year.

By the way, one more infuriating thing about Sprint... they don't have the balls to support Windows Phone from Microsoft who are a big name with released products, but they have the balls to support 'Firefox OS' from Mozilla. There's been no public release of Firefox OS yet, but Sprint has happily thrown their hat into that arena. REALLY, Sprint? Here's the source article for that, which was posted YESTERDAY -

http://hothardware.com/News/FireFox-OS-Gains-Traction-and-Major-Carrier-Support-with-Sprint/

Journeyman

Agree with your sentiments.  It's so lame of Sprint to only support two major types of devices.  I surely want them to support Windows Phone 8.  I'm hoping they support it by the time my contract expires next year, at the latest. 

But all these moves Sprint has been making cry out as moves of austerity.  Everyone knows they spent way too much to secure the iPhone.  It honestly was such a dumb move.  They should've spent that money to roll out their LTE infrastructure faster first.  Now they're playing catch up with the infrastructure roll out, and  using whatever money they have reserved to push phone variety out on only the most coveted Android devices.  The endorsement of Firefox OS is them being cheap.

It's a sinking ship with Sprint.  I'm seriously thinking of jumping ship when my contract is up in Q1 of 2013 even though I get a really good monthly rate. It's starting to just not be worth it because they'll always be playing catch up.

Journeyman

What I find ironic is that Sprint is not the #1 or #2 carrier (though I think they have better rates and support). They are the underdog, just like Windows Phone. And they are trying so hard to compete with the top two carriers by choosing to support the top two phones the most. When you're the underdog, you need something that the two bigger guys on the playground do as well to give you the advantage.

I thought that Sprint would believe supporting the Windows Phone better than the two bigger carriers could do that. If their only edge is by only having better rates, then that's playing to lose. The bigger guys can always afford to undercut you just long enough to kill you.

Wizard

Yea, that worked great with Palm and WebOS...

You'll get your WP8. First, someone, anyone else has to get it first. We've only got an idea when that may be.

You'l get your phone with Sprint next spring.  Just hang-on.  Think about it, it may even be revision 1.

Journeyman

With all due respect, Palm (and HP) is not Microsoft. And WP8 is not like WP7, which is also not like WinCE/Windows Mobile. WP8, with the shared Win8 core, has the very real possibility of being a game changer. HTC and Samsung are betting it will. Why would Sprint drag its feet? There's no upside for Sprint to take that position.

I will wait until spring IF Sprint will announce an intention to have it out by spring. I can be patient. I will not sit in the dark and just hope blindly that it will come out sometime soon. That's not the way you should treat your loyal customers who are also early adopters.

Journeyman

I have a little while left on my contract so Sprint has some time to start supporting Windows Phone 8.  IF, by the end of my contract, there is no Windows Phone 8 device (would prefer the Nokia devices) I will move to another carrier.  I've been with Sprint since 2000.

Journeyman

Money talks.

Let's assume that someone such as myself has a plan with data for about $80 a month.

This thread has been viewed about 4700 times as of my writing of this reply.

If we assume that each view counts as one person who would renew their $80/mo. plan or get a new $80/mo. plan, then you're looking at $1920 per person for each two year contract.

$1920 * 4700 = $9,024,000 over two years. With the service improvements, that number will only grow larger. Then let's not forget the people who did the research and found this thread are likely to tell other people that Sprint customers are complaining about the lack of a Windows Phone device and that may deter even more people.

Granted, the 4700 views counted may not be UNIQUE views, but if you cut that number even in half, a third, a quarter, etc. and it's still a nice chunk of change that Sprint could have. I understand that marketing and selling WP will cost money, so that's up to Sprint, but I think there's little reason to believe it won't be a success considering that ATT and Verizon are also picking up Windows Phone 8.

Let's not forget that Windows Phone 8 also integrates very well with Windows 8 that is coming out this October which will be on home PCs, laptops, and now tablets. It will also work very well with people's XBox 360s. You're talking about a device that would fit in the vast majority of homes since it works so well with the devices that so many people already own.

This is a very simple example, and many things can affect it like family lines that would get a Windows Phone or others may have more expensive monthly rates on their plans, etc., but I think it gets the point across at a high level.

I'm shocked Sprint hasn't announced plans to carry a Windows Phone. If Sprint doesn't have a high-end Windows Phone by the spring next year, I'm considering jumping ship. I've been with Sprint for just less than a month and I believe they can be great by offering a better range of devices, but I'm not that impressed right now. I will say customer service has been fantastic though.

Journeyman

Just to add more fuel to the fire, take a look at wired.com's poll:

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-spec-showdown/

The poll is asking "Which smartphone are you going to buy?"

Choices are:

• iPhone 5
  • Nokia Lumia 920 **Windows 8 device
  • Samsung Galaxy S3
  • Samsung Galaxy Nexus
  • Other
  • I don't plan to buy a smartphone.

At the time of my writing of this post, the survey had 36,845 votes with 20,700 (56%) of those votes going to the Nokia Lumia 920.

Imagine with the numbers I crunched above how many millions that could be for Sprint. Again, that poll only represents a fraction of the people who are potential Windows Phone 8 customers.

The interest is there. People just need more carrier options. AT&T and Verizon aren't enough. I'm not trying to hate on Sprint here. I like Sprint. I just want to see this wonderful smartphone OS make it here so I can stick around and be happier with my phone.

Journeyman

I'm pretty sure that Sprint ignores these Windows Phone 8 threads.

They are in denial over the fact that they overpaid for iPhone after all big Apple fans already left Sprint a couple years ago.  Windows Phone will overtake RIM this year and start slicing into Apple and Android share next year.  People who want Windows Phone will leave Sprint and a couple years later, Sprint will pull their head out and carry it after the fans have left Sprint.  So, repeating the exact same mistake they made with iPhone years ago.  I've already sold my Sprint stock and will be moving carriers in November if Sprint doesn't announce Windows Phone 8 by then.  It's a bummer too because I have been otherwise happy with Sprint.

Journeyman

I've been tremendously happy with Sprint, too! For more than ten years!

It's heartbreaking that they seem to be ignoring this market. I know that there have been previous "announcements":

http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/att-sprint-t-mobile-execs-rally-behind-microsofts-windows-phone-...

http://www.pcworld.com/article/261653/windows_phone_8_launch_adds_to_microsofts_busy_october.html

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10909

But not much active communication directed at us.

This seems like an obvious oversight to me. I have an HTC Arrive, and I'm very happy with it. I don't belong to the group of people who made it the "most-returned device". If there's any weaknesses to the Arrive, it might be that it can get warm when in use, is rather heavy, and has a smallish screen, but I actually don't find those as reasons to complain. The small size means I can put into smaller pockets (it's plenty clear and big enough to see my Netflix movies on), the weight helps me to not misplace it, and the warmth, ... eh, it's electronics. Electronics get warm. Whatever.

So, why wouldn't Sprint send me (and all the other Windows 7 HTC Arrive owners) some sort of "hey, you are gonna be happy to hear this!" messages? They know I have an HTC Arrive running Windows Phone 7, they know I like it, and they know I'm a loyal customer. I'm exactly the person they will should talk to to make sure the Windows Phone 8 rollout is even better...

C'mon, Sprint! We're keeping this message near the top of the list. Somebody needs to get cracking!

Journeyman

I think I have it figured out! The deal Sprint had to make with ATT to get the iPhone must have a clause that keeping them from conversing here. Really what else could it be! This really has to be a fairly active post in this community.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat