cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

From the Article if you read between the lines of this quote

"Owen stopped short of saying the carrier would offer a Windows Phone 8 device, but said, "We think Windows Phone 8 is a solid product that they are bringing to market. We're interested in watching it unfold over the course of the next year. And we won't be watching from the sidelines. We'll be participating. We may not lead it, but we'll participate".

This just means that they will not have a windows phone 8 anytime soon. They are trying the wait and see approch BUT they will be in contact with phone makers JUST IN CASE WP8 Actually does well they already have spoken to phone makers that are developing WP8 devices so it won't take long to launch one on their end. But if it doesn't do well they won't bother. The most they will do if they care is do exactly what they did with WP7, 1 phone, after the launch and nothing more.

Journeyman

Well, I do only need one phone.  I just hope it's a phone I like.  It does seem like a silly attitude to say we're gonna wait until the hype and marketing blitz settles down and if people buy a bunch of WP8 phones on all of the other US carriers then we'll give it a shot.  It's not as though there isn't some evidence that WP8 will do well.  But I guess I'm not making millions of dollars a year to run a wireless company so what do I know.

Journeyman

You also have to remember Sprint was DYING to get their hands on the iPhone so it will do anything and everything to contiue relations with Apple and push their product all the way unlike Verizon who learned the hard way of how Apple can bite back and is now pushing forward even harder with the windows products especially since the lawsuit against samsung went Apple's way (but even before the court ruling Verizon stated it will push harder on the windows products aswell as android products but now with the court ruling it may push the hardest out of all carriers carring WP8).

Journeyman

How can they deny this poll from wired.com over 44,000 unique votes in 4 days can not be ignored. 58% of people plan on getting Windows Phone 8 as their next phone.

Apple iPhone 5 21% (9115)

Nokia Lumia 920 58% (25687)

Samsung Galaxy S III 12% (5112)

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 3% (1517)

Other 3% (1337)

I don't plan to buy a smartphone. 3% (1388)

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-spec-showdown/

Journeyman

When my contract is up fall 2013, if Sprint doesn't have WP8 I will be switching to a carrier that does.

Journeyman

I'm in the same boat as all of you. I have 4 lines on a contract that ends Spring 2013. If there is no windows 8 phone announcement (I mean more than one device i.e. (Nokia, HTC, etc.)) then I will be moving on to a carrier that cares about having choices. I'd rather pay more and have the option to own a device that I want. This is just plain stupid and sad that they can't have a robust hardware offering. If they want to compete with the major carriers, then step up and act like a major carrier.

I've been with Sprint since 1998 and have brought many customers to them. For the most part I've been happy, but this is the final straw for me.

SPRINT: PLEASE PAY ATTETNION; LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE ROUGHLY 6K PEOPLE INTERESTED IN THIS THREAD, FURTHERMORE CHECK WIREDS POLL http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-spec-showdown/, AS OF THIS WRITTING HERE ARE THE RESULTS:

Which smartphone are you going to buy? (Total votes: 49177)

Apple iPhone 5 20% (9683)

Nokia Lumia 920 60% (29486)

Samsung Galaxy S III 11% (5444)

Samsung Galaxy Nexus 3% (1601)

Other 3% (1454)

I don't plan to buy a smartphone. 3% (1509)

HOW COULD YOU TURN AWAY 29K POSSIBLE WINDOWS PHONE OWNERS @ $2,320,000 A MONTH OR $55,680,000 FOR 2 YEAR CONTRACTS??? AND EVEN IF THEY DIDN'T STAY WITH IT, YOU'D STILL STAND TO GET $5,075,000 (assuming customers stay for a year) GIVEN THE RIDICULOUS ETF FEES.

Journeyman

I cannot believe it! HTC and Sprint have been very close partners in the Windows phone game and just because 1 phone failed doesn't mean you stop with that type of phone when its been so successful in the past! Those Win 7 devices failed for everyone. AT&T, Verizon, & T-Mo all felt the hurt from having a Win 7 device on its line but now that they see how the Lumia has done to change the perception of Windows devices and now that HTC has gone back to the drawing board an created a monster device they all said sign me up!! What is it that Sprint doesn't see here! I never thought I'd see the day where i wanted to switch over to AT&T or Verizon but it looks like that day might be coming!  I love my HTC EVO LTE but I'm always going to be a Windows phone fan at heart! Now that Windows is making phones that can compare to these Android and Iphones I'm getting that itch to go back.... but Sprint says NO! SMG

Journeyman

http://allthingsd.com/20120919/htc-enters-the-windows-8-race-with-8x-and-8s-smartphones/?reflink=ATD...

Saw this today "In the U.S., they’ll be available through T-Mobile, AT&T and Verizon." in the above link, you can see Sprint is not mentioned at all.  It seems you are correct Sprint had one 1 windows phone that was small and heavy and wondered why nobody wanted it, I can only assume it was to justify not selling them any more.  But they seem more than happy to lose money on the IPhone (no clue why).

The only way I am staying with Sprint is if I can buy a Windows phone and use it on their network but my impression talking to the people at the sprint store is that is not possible.  This is just too sad!!!!

Journeyman

Clearly, Sprint is not listening.  I'm not sure why they host these communities and not participate in them.  They must have laid off those folks.  I love my Arrive because of the OS, the phone sucks.  The new lineup of WP8 phones outshine the iPhone and all of the Android devices on the market.  By the Sprint figures this out, it may be too late for them.  This whole thing is very strange.  On the other hand, you never know, maybe Sprint will be there at launch with awesome WP8 phones and it's just a big secret.

Journeyman

I have the Arrive and its a good phone but I see why it didn't sell to high.  It has a smaller screen and a slide keyboard while other carriers had phones that had bigger screens and no slide keyboard.  If they would have had a phone that had a 4.x" screen and no slide keyboard it may have sold better...maybe not huge still but better.

Sprint spent millions to get the iphone and that was a mistake.  Sprint thought that they would have a top seller and get tons of more customers with the iphone but like I thought that didn't really happen.  I think they were thinking they'd double their user base with the iphone but that failed and now they're stuck.  Windows Phone 7 devices failed on Sprint so they're down on Windows Phone 8 and thats to bad because Windows Phone 8 is a great OS that passes the iphone with options.  Maybe they want to wait till second quarter of 2013 to see how Windows Phone 8 sells on other carriers but by then from what I've heard they're going to loose customers.  I'll stick with my Arrive until second quarder of 2013 to see what sprint is going to do (hopefully they'll get a Windows Phone 8 device sooner than later).

If they do get a Windows Phone 8 device they need to get a high end one, not a mid-range or lower end one, but big screen, fast processor and all the bells and whistles.  If they don't do this they may have another looser in their hands and they'll probably blame it on the OS and not on their bad choice.

Journeyman

I agree, my sister was on my account and left for a provder that got the windows phone she wanted in. I am about to have to do the same thing it seems. Please get in the Lumia 920 Sprint. Pretty please!

Journeyman

I have already ported out two lines to ATt for the Nokia 900 but I have been with Sprint for 14 years and still have one line left.  Leaving Sprint is not something I really have been wanting to do.  Unfortunately, they are not catering to me and my third line will likely be ported out to the Nokia Lumia 920 / Samsung AtivS / HTC 8x.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat