cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Windows 8 phone and Sprint not happening soon.

My wife and I have been loyal Sprint customers for years, and we love the service, customer service, and price points provided by Sprint.  We're old-school Blackberry users that became disappointed with RIM, and switched to Android 2 years ago.  As business users, with enterprise data plans, Android is a bust, we both hate it.  iPhones are equally terrible.  We've been looking forward to the Windows Phone 8 launch for some time now, and are extremely disappointed that Sprint has chosen not to carr Windows Phone 8 devices.  For a company that needs customers as badly as Sprint does, this is terrible descision making.  I don't understand why this great company keeps shooting itself in the foot.  We'll be switching back to AT&T when the phone's launch, despite thier terrible customer service.

Journeyman

I have been with Sprint for years and have stuck with them after moving to an area in WV in which there are a few other carriers with better coverage because I like the plans Sprint offers best. I even went ahead and got an Airave because I needed it for coverage within my house, but stayed with Sprint and even upgraded 3 of the lines late last year. Chekcing the sprint.com/network site shows no upgrades coming to my area in the next 6 months. So, that won't improve. Yet, I have not complained. That ends now. My loyalty in waivering. Let's dicuss why:

• Sprint is supposedly going to support the non-existent Firefox mobile OS, but not the Windows Phone 8 OS? WTF?
  • Sprint is going to wait and see if Windows Phone 8 will be a hit before jumping in?! What sense does that make? If it is a hit, the adopters will all be in2 years agreements already. What plan could you offer to get them to pay an ETF to come to Sprint without network vision or LTE complete?
  • A least two carriers are expected to cover my area with LTE in late 2012 (Verizon and US Cellualr) and we are close to a HSPA+ serviced area, but not even a 3G network upgrade from Sprint expected anytime soon.
  • I have done some tracking of my data usage and I don't need unlimited data. IN fact, I don't use 2G in a month. So, while switching would cause my bill to go up a bit, it is not that much. I would also get a discount for my job, which I just lost from Sprint.

Ultimately, I will stay with Sprint and add a fifth line to my account if Spriint would simply offer a Windows Phone 8. I can see that Microsoft is "all in" on there windows 8 products, but apparatently Sprint cannot or simply is broke because they allowed themselves to get taken to the cleaners by Apple (a company I don't respect). I want to stay with Sprint as I have three lines still one year from being able to upgrade and the ETF fees would be a lot, but I cannot stand by and pay for service I don't get. So, here is what I will do. I will wait until November. If there is no announcement that Sprint will get on board with the giant Microsoft ecosystem, I will port my line out to another carrier. I will do the same for the other three lines when the ETFs are less expensive. As I am loyal individual, I woud not expect to ever consider returning to Sprint unless somehow my servicce would simply be so horrible that I would run back. I can't see it being so bad to have better coverage, better 3G speed, LTE capability, and a Windows Phone 8 product for only slightly more per month.

Journeyman

I am very disappointed I have not heard of any windows 8 phone offerings from Sprint. 

Journeyman

I reached out to the CEO's email , Dan Hesse, and got a call back. I would advice all those who are interested to also send an email to dan@sprint and let your voice be heard.... They maybe to late to the party by the time they make a decision, but they will only have themselves to blame.

Dan@sprint (dot com)

1:47 PM (2 hours ago)

to me

Dear Nuno ,

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to speak with you today.  We
appreciate your interest in the release of a Windows 8 device on Sprint.
We have received feedback from other customers who are also interested
in obtaining information on when a device with this operating system
will be available with Sprint.  Currently, we are evaluating this new
operating system (OS) and working with Microsoft on potential
opportunities.   We have no announcements regarding Windows 8 devices at
this time.  I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.  I
understand that you are nearing the end of your contract and that you
are evaluating whether or not you would like to continue service with
Sprint.  Based on our phone conversation, I can understand that
availability of a Windows 8 device on Sprint will highly impact your
decision on whether or not you would like to continue services.  We do
value your business and sincerely apologize that there is no information
available at this time.  Please visit Sprint.com/insider where you may
sign up and be informed of new device releases. (edited out contact info so no spamming)

Sincerely,
Melanie H.
(edit)
Sprint

Get the best value for your money & exercise your freedom
to change plans anytime without penalties - we promise!
     www.sprint.com/planpromise

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
Mr. Hesse,

I want to bring to your attention the concern, several thousand of your
customer, including myself, have. We are loyal Sprint Customer for
decades, but we do not feel we are being listened to. We have requested
information from Sprint in relationship to Windows Phone 8 and have not
gotten a response. I create a discussion on the Sprint Forum in regards
to the Windows Phone 8 and it has become one of the most active post
that is on the forum.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/476278#476278

Many of Sprint's Customer are interesting in the New Windows Phone 8,
but are coming to find out, that they will not be able to acquire one
from Sprint in the near Future. A majority of the posts have your loyal
customers stating that they will be leaving Sprint to move to a carrier
that is willing to acquire phones that can meet the customer's needs.

A survey was created on Wired.com that asks what phone customers are
looking to acquire next. With over 50,000 unique voters, 60% are looking
to purchase a Windows 8 Phone. People are ready to move on to a phone
that works with all that they already have, in the workplace and at
home.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/09/iphone5-spec-showdown/

Please do not deny your loyal customer the opportunity to stay with
Sprint and acquire the new Windows Phone 8.

I look forward to a response either directly or on the forum to address
this concern to not only me, but the thousands of customers who have
click the discussion to find out about Windows phone 8 and Sprint.

Thank You for your time,

Journeyman

And now this, http://is.gd/c5bUCE.  Come on Sprint! You're seriously this pathetic!  I've been with you for 12+ years and I can't even fathom to switch carriers, but you are definetely forcing my hand.  Please offer your customers options.  My current contract won't expire until April 2013, so you still have some time before I have to make my decision.  Please read this thread and I hope you realize how much we care and support Sprint but we need you to care about us as well.  I feel a lot of support for wp8 from AT&T and Verizon, but even more important, from your customers.  We want to continue supporting Sprint and believe you have the best value in the market, but what's the point of value if we don't have choices?   

Journeyman

True I feel slightly burned by the Arrive but I really cant complain.

Its worked so well for me, and definatelty better than the iphone or android device - I cant see myself going back to any other phone OS.

I'm actually kinda dissapointed there are no phones with keyboard with windows phone 8.

The reason? Most business users like, no, LOVE physical keyboards. But anyway ...

Im in IT and Im excited about the convergence of Windows 8 for desktops and tablets as well as the windows phone 8 being a part of that as well.

System Center 2012 will be able to manage windows phone 8 devices.

If Sprint does not have windows phone 8, they will LOSE BUSINESS CLIENTS !!!!!

I dont see why they didnt see this as important to them ?!?!

Journeyman

Someone put a petition online. Spread the word! I already signed it.

http://signon.org/sign/windows-phone-8-sprint?source=c.url&r_by=5517079

Journeyman

I will DEFINITELY be moving all of my devices to another carrier -- after 12 years with Sprint -- if Sprint does not have a WP8 device when every other carrier does in the next 4-6 weeks. Hesse is just now "in discussions with Microsoft?!"  Every other carrier started making their plans int he early months of this year. Sprint is still "just talking."  What an pathetic back-a$$wards organization that has an astonishing lack of vision!  A communications company that has no ability to communicate its plans for its customers -- and the extreme lag in providing LTE -- is apparently not a company that I want to be a partner in my business!

Sprint .. you have until every other carrier starts shipping their high-end WP8 devices (4-6 weeks) and I'm gone. And once I'm gone, I will *NEVER* come back!

Journeyman

How can you feel burned by the Arrive?  If Microsoft would have let us update to Windows phone 8 I bet then you'd feel truly burned because most of the functions wouldn't have worked or the OS would have been slow as a snail.  Microsoft did the right thing by not making current devices upgradable to Windows Phone 8.

Journeyman

@rkegel: You absolutely correct. While I'm not on the Microsoft Windows Phone development team, I am a WP developer, and there really was no practical way to make WP7 phones upgradeable to WP8. It's a shame, but not unprecedented.

@JabberWolff: I, too, love the physical keyboard on my phone; I'm MUCH faster at my business texts with it than virtual keyboards (I use a lot of acronyms and technical jargon which take longer to do with the virtual keyboard and are flat out impossible to use with speech recognition.)

Journeyman

Do you know what carriers will have the HTC WP8?

Journeyman

Yeah, I'm in the same boat. I really don't want to leave Sprint but if I don't see any news about a WP8 phone soon I'll have to leave with my family. If anyone from Sprin is reading this.. get the Nokia 920.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat