cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

Journeyman

Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

If they don't give us the update by this month I am switching to tmobile and getting the HTC HD 2, my contract is up anyway so I have nothing to loose..

Message was edited by: Nathy321

Journeyman

I have to agree -- this is a deal breaker with Sprint. I have no problem paying more for good customer service -- WHICH IS NOT THE CASE WITH SPRINT!

At the VERY LEAST Sprint should announce THE date that it will be released and what new features will be part of that release. Again, I keep saying this Sprint, COMMUNICATION!

When the contract's up -- I'm gone!

Journeyman

I definitely want 6.5, but what is the killer feature that is driving this intense desire for the upgrade.  Excuse me if I missed something or am not informed.

Journeyman

I'm with EricNYC.  I'd like to see Sprint offer the 6.5 upgrade too, and they really should.  But what is driving all this anger and animosity?  Sure, other carriers already released the update.  If you really want it that bad then you can download and install it from XDA.  Otherwise I say stop acting like little children banging your hands on the table.  Show some patience.

I just started with Sprint, so maybe I'm not as jaded as so many are.  But I have to tell you that things weren't all that rosy with AT&T either.  Verizon is way more expensive, but their network is also way better.  T-Mobile is really cheap, but you get no signal in most places.  Sprint seems like a good balance between low cost, lots of features, and good devices.  You'll get your upgrade when they release it, or you'll get it elsewhere on your own.  Simple as that.  It's like the old Zen saying: "If you understand, then things are as they are.  If you do not understand, then things are as they are."  Think about it.

Journeyman

That is for sure, Sprint is lacking communication! Not even one word to confirm their release date or whatever is coming with this update. I have no clue how those people do their work? Well, it's up to them seems like!

Journeyman

The "KEY FEATURE" that you dont seem to get is a two parter. Offical Stable WM6.5, which in my opinion is the last version of Windows Mobile that any of "us" will like. WM7 is already dead to me. Improved memory management. I believe the new today menu will be implemented, which means if you choose not to use Sense, youll have a great customizable interface that should run rather smoothly. Of course, the new Sense 2.5 should be there, which will be great. In the end, we will pretty much have an entirely updated OS on the surface, as well as a few tweaks behind the scenes. I for one want the new ROM just so I have the final stable ROM from Sprint so I can install everything again one last time, and not have to worry about wiping it out again. I hate getting my phone to where I like it, then something better comes out that requires me to start over with everything. Granted I should be able to get it all done in a week ( Im sure I will forget a few things the first day or two until I go to use it. ), but I just want it done already.

Personally, I actually really PRAY that HTC releases one more WM6.5 device for Sprint or another carrier. I would love to see a WM6.5.3 HTC Touch Pro3 come out, with a 1ghz Snapdragon, 512 ram, 512 or more of storage, and a capacitive touch screen. You give me that device, and I will DEFINITELY buy that phone. I would consider that the ultimate WM phone right now. Unless of course you tell me there is a 2ghz Snapdragon floating around...

Anyway, thats just a pipe dream....

Journeyman

Eric,

The main reason I want the update is because there are many programs for WM phones out there that cannot be used with the HTC ROM(s).  Dialers, profile managers, contacts organizers, text organizers, etc.  all require that you disable Touchflo 3d or Sense and run just WM 6.x.  6.1 is so outdated and nasty looking that I can't bear it.  I must use TouchFlo 3D - which is very nice in itself - but it's an all or nothing proposition - and in some areas like clearing message counts you have to do things twice or in an awkward way.  The 6.5 update is much better looking on a touchscreen phone.  Functionality overall is nearly indistiguishable from 6.1, but the home screen and programs list and a host of other areas just look better and are more finger-friendly.   So you can run it bare and it'll look much better than 6.1 and run more efficiently (no double clearing message counts).  Then, if you're still unhappy with, say, the dialer, you can install a customized program just for that.

Journeyman

Bill - Thank you well stated, exactly on point!!!

Eric - it's simply having the ability to upgrade to the latest OP mobile system I am sure was a key factor in why most folks bought such and expensive unit, and I am sure that Sprint made sure to include that in their price point when marketing the phone. Furthermore, having the latest ROM I would hope clears up many more glitches that the TP2 has presented, so that all of us loyal Sprint and WM users get what we paid for and were promised. And I for one would like a better streamlined device that gives me a overall windows environment similar to my home network.

And I rather not have to hack my phone to do it since the upgrade was one of the many key marketing features to selling the phone in the first place. Because if they were going to roll it out I could have stuck with my HTC TP 1st gen or let my plan run its course and moved on to another carrier and not shelled out $600 for a phone, that have the time drives me nuts with the dual interface that isn't all that seamless (but then again I guess that is just windows in general).

I just want what I was promised...............................

Message was edited by: sexydredlocs1

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thomas, take your Zen back to where it came from. Calling us children isn't going to make you any friends on this board.

Some of us paid the full $600 for this phone and we deserve the promised update. Even if some folks got the subsidy we still deserve the promised update.

Installing an aftermarket ROM will void the warranty and some of us prefer not to take the chance. So take your attitude elsewhere.

p.s. Sorry Eric, was typing too fast and your post was on my mind

Message was edited by: Moderator

Journeyman

Sprint made promisses to get this upgrade last year. They backed up the release period and now will not give a release date. People have a right to be mad. When I bought my phone in a store at the end of last year they told me the release date was 2 weeks away from the date of purchase. The guy was looking at his computer screen when he told me. He was happy because that month they were using tp2s in the store.

But I will say this I almost jumped ship about 5 years back because of service. But instead bought phones from a couple different services for business. I also had multiple accounts about 11 years ago with several different companies. The service and billing from the other providers do not compare with Sprint. I have only had a few complaints with Sprint over billing the last 15 years and when Sprint was wrong they reimbursed me. They have reimbursed me for things they did not have to. The other companies dont issue refunds unless you fight go to a superior then fight and go to a superior again. Its like being their accountant. T-mobile it was every month.Sprint called me up in the middle of the year last year and gave me a month for free just for being a premier customer.

I am still pissed about this issue but i AM not jumping ship.

Dan Hess should be fired for his destroying Sprint Stock value, and driving clients away from Sprint. This is one tiny example of his negligence.

Journeyman cpc
Journeyman

I don't think Eric needs me to come to his defense, but he does have a point.

Hey, I can't wait to get WinMo 6.5 too but from what I understand we are only talking about aesthic improvements.  I already have MarketPlace and Microsoft My Phone so there is no new functionality to mention.  But again, don't get me wrong.  I welcome 6.5 and I hope we get HTC's Sense UI on top of it (although I wouldn't bet on that).

I also completely understand the frustration with Sprint regarding their lack of communication.  They should be called to task for promising something and missing dates or not providing reasonably specific dates.

All-in-all we have a great phone and will have an even better phone in a few weeks.  If Sprint doesn't deliver no less than WinMo 6.5 by March 31, then all bets are off and I'll be the first to release the hounds!  In the meantime, let's ease up just a bit.

Journeyman

Thank you CPC.

I think Sprint should definitely hold to their word and I am definitely excited about the possibility of Sense 2.5.  But I have to be honest about the fact that these are just frosting.  The core looks to stay the same.  I want new stuff and I am glad people shared with me what the key features are, but will I get upset enough to use profanity in a forum, nope.  Too civilized for that kind of insanity.

Sprint won't listen to people who sound insane, only customers who make cases.  They are like any other business, happy customers are loyal customers and are customers who spend money and keep the company open.  They will make us happy in the end if they possibly can, because it means money to them.

I for one have been a customer for 10 years and although some moves I don't agree with, I think Sprint in the end wants happy customers.

(No I do not work for Sprint, never have and do not own any Sprint stock or any stock in a company that would benefit from Sprint doing better.)

Oh and by the way, I never called anyone a child or made a zen statement - read posts carefully and blame the right person if you choose too.  I think that person had a valid perspective.

Message was edited by: EricNYC646

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat