cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

Journeyman

Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 Planned for HTC Touch Pro2 from Sprint

Wow I am sorry to hear you guys are having so many problems. The only beef I have is the missing task manager. There is no delay and I get the weather everywhere. You can download programs for using the stock rom as a wireless networwork hotspot. One place u can get it is btone.com. They even have a program to clear memory. Maybe running that will help a few of u guys for the sytem rom might be loading to many things at start. Try a level 3 clear of memory.There is a barcode reader called enigma for you shoppers. Finch sync works for you guys that like to use thunderbird and sunbird. Skype works great. and Skyfire web browser is a little spotty but it has Flash, silverlight, and other network streaming capabilities.

Journeyman

I like Artondale too, but it's not where I'm at. The Weather application frequently places me there, even though I live near Seattle. Sometimes it accurately pinpoints my local city, but often I get Artondale. I do have an AirRave, but I can't figure out if it is using my Wireless connection, my Sprint phone through the AirRave, or my EV connnection to determine my location.

Journeyman

Its the airave a freind has one and it does the same thing inside his house.

Journeyman

I hate to ask but where is the link to the one like is on the youtube link you gave.  Are they different for Sprint, verison, etc.  I just looked at the site for about 3 minutes and it was kind of confusing as what to download.  I want the War version like is mentioned on that youtube video.

Thanks

The video made by Dash is actually an old video. WAR was the 6.5 version of MightyRom BEFORE 6.5 was official... but now that Sprint officially released 6.5, WAR has been removed as a Project Rom and is now the official ROM. So just go to mighty's website and look at the forum support for the official ROM..

And yes, Mighty's 6.5 official ROM DOES COME WITH THE TASK MANAGER on the right top corner.

I use the one with the Start on the bottom cause.. well.. I like it

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is this ROM made by McDonalds? Cuz I'm lovin it.

Ok, so first install didn't go terribly well, but got it working now and like it.

no issues.

Hope you all can get this going as well as mine... wish I had more info for you.

Journeyman

its about time....

Journeyman

Bought HTC TP2 in September '09 due to unlockes SIM and future WM 6.1 to 6.5 upgradeability.  As everyone else, I kept waiting and waiting and waiting until it was finally out.  Meanwhile tried changing 6.1 to MightyRom and others, and none of them would go beyond a 0%, and then it would tell me to check all my connection, remove the battery, bla-bla-bla...  SPB Mobile Shell looked great, but why pay $30 if you can get free stuff?  Finally 6.5 arrived.

Snazzy home page, love the wipers and flowing clouds; but beyond that the new OS actually felt more cumbersome and aggravating to use.  The removal of Task Bar and reducing the number of quick links while accomodating them to a more obese finger was probably the dumbest feature of 6.5.  Then for some reasons the missed calls would not show up on the screen, but only on the top bar, so I had to tap the top bar to see the missed calls.  Alarm clock had its hiccups as well.  I use Airave, and similar to a few other people been getting my home weather location listed as Artondale, WA.  I think the battery power was affected as well, although I plug my phone in anytime I can, home, car, or work.

Then I put a different wallpaper on the Home Screen, which was nice and transparent, but still must use dark background as I can't change the font color.  Then tried to load the new wallpaper to a Lock screen:  failed after few times of checking how it looked, and then the screen was showing me the halves of 2 different pictures; then the phone stalled all together.

Finally got fed up with all the 6.5's reduced functionality and temper tantrums and switched back yesterday to WM6.1 using one of the ppcgeeks Sprint stock ROMs.  Thanks God I did that; I can live with the unassuming monochromatic interface, but actually be able to customize and use the phone to my liking without being limited, and truly use it as multitasking platform via Task Bar.  My major gripe with being back to 6.1 was the poor choice of dysfunctional stock browsers, which I remedied by loading Skyfire 1.5 and Opera 10 beta as browsers, which are much better choice than installed IE and Opera 9.  Everything else I'm now happy with.

I will miss the wipers and flowing clouds on home screen; at least for the next couple of days.  I just didn't think I had to wait for so long to get that.  In retrospect, I guess the grass was greener on the other side, but look at all the maintenace; and no, you can't really walk on it or really use it...

Journeyman

@markpiker:

I loved the new ROM until my TP2 started freezing up when trying to text message.  After perusing ppcgeeks.com forums I found that the issue seems to be that the new ROM doesn't like very many text messages to be in the phone's memory, queue, folder or whatever one would prefer to call it.  So, I went a hunting for a custom ROM, first time ever doing it on this phone.  Might I suggest for your enjoyment the ROM by Vin which is known for stability and great battery life, while maintaining an appearance very much like stock?  He does include the task manager capabilities with the 'x' at the upper right just like the old ROM.  NASCAR and NFL Mobile are also removed.  I don't use NASCAR and the NFL Mobile is now no longer a valid program as of April 1, so that is just wasted space.

The link is http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106231.  Note thought that to use a custom ROM, you must first unlock your phone.  Just search on ppcgeeks for the very simple procedures on how to do that.  Also note that Sprint won't support your custom ROM so if you have any issues you'll have to reinstall the official ROM.  Good luck!

Journeyman

As far fetched as it may sound, rather than sitting by silently and letting the rumor mill spin and customers get all antsy, how about tell your customers in some nice fancy way that Sprint lacks the resources and or motivation to deliver firmware updates to its customers like other carriers. That's why we're last to publish ROMs in most cases and even though we know they're buggy and not much of an upgrade on functionality, we just like watch our customers stew and churn. The reality of it is without saying it out right we figure customers would soon figure out if you don't have it at time of purchase don't put much stock in getting it later. Our plan rates and coverage are so highly competitive we know you all will endure lack of responsive firmware maintenance as opposed to paying 29.99 for smartphone usage our "any mobile anytime" knocks calling circle on their butts.

Go ahead Sprint you might not say it but, you want to "amen" it but, you had best pray Androids with wifi don't show up on MetroPCS, VirginMobile or Boost...it will be as if anti-matter hit your customer base over night.

Journeyman

@sdialect31  I don't think it is possible to release a ROM upgrade or software upgrade to the masses without some sort of bugs included.  Every version of OS software, including Mac OS X, Windows all versions, Solaris, Linux, etc. all have regular patches.  These patches typically fix bugs that are found.  Why people come down so big on Sprint constantly, just puzzles me.  Dollar for dollar, I get so much more from Sprint as my carrier than I have ever from the others, and I've been on all the top 4.

Yes, there are some issues with the new ROM, but they can typically be worked around for the most part, if one chooses to look for some guidance on how to do so.  For the few who may not find an immediate fix, there are custom ROMS that you can try out.  To me, this was the best ROM update I've ever gotten from a carrier.  It came with some major changes in functionality, and certainly appearance.  The stock 6.1 ROM was the ugliest UI I've ever had to use.  The new one?  Simply beautiful, in my opinion.  If I keep my messages from accumulating thousands of entries then my ROM runs fine.  My TP2 will last until that EVO 4G hits later this summer! 

Message was edited by: JackG058

Journeyman

@sdialect31 also... you do know VirginMobile and Boost is owned by Sprint right? Every carrier has to decide what to spend their money and resources on. For one thing, Windows mobile and old phones don't attract customers and don't bring in more revenue. I'm just grateful that they finally released the update as promised. Sprint has been pushing android on many of their phones and most of those phones are released with the latest version.

Journeyman

1.  I agree with inevitability of bugs in any new ROM; but it seems that MS idea of a new release is to put something together to pretend being on a cutting edge, but in doing so neglected to check with consumers what functions are heavily used, and what actually works and not broken, therefore needs no fixing.  The beauty of the new home page in 6.5 has been overshadowed by its uselessness; start scratching beneath the skin and all kind of bugs start crawling out.

The new 6.5 was available since last October.  I'm sure we're not the first ones to bring issues up.  Sprint has delayed it indefinitely for unclear reasons; and neither MS nor Sprint bothered to remedy any of the bugs to date.  The desktop software is updated on a regular basis, except the life span of the mobile phone usually does not exceed 2 years.  Then it's almost you must upgrade as the signal gets dropped more frequently, and other annoyances start showing up.  What are the chances that Sprint and MS will put a REAL effort into fixing the bugged 6.5, while perfecting and marketing the upcoming Windows Phone 7?

I'll be happy if I'm wrong, and I'll switch to 6.5 anytime I feel MS/Sprint actually listen and fix things to our liking.  But chances are all the improvements and more will be in a new 7 phone, and by that time you'll need to renew your loyalty to Sprint for another 2 years if you want to enjoy it.  I've been with Sprint since 1995, and I plan to stick with Sprint, unless it flows belly up or really annoys me.  

2.  Here is another kicker:  Before TP2 I used Motorola Q9C (yeah, the fat one).  I liked it a lot, but needed a different phone anyway.  Apparently there is some kind of a ROM or other upgrade for Q9C on Motorola site, but I cannot install it as my Q9C's warranty has expired.  What the heck?  I should be able to update the phone anytime I need and want.  Will this happen with TP2 as well?  Is this a general practice of Sprint or other carriers?  I know Apple updates their phones all the time whether you want it or not; but who needs that rotten fruit anyway?

3.  Other custom ROMs are nice and uncluttered with useless Sprint junk; do they include Mobile Office?  Or can I get an Office .cab from somewhere later?  And does anyone knows why my phone says "Your phone is SIM unlocked" in Security settings, but I cannot put a new custom ROM on it?  Is there a need and a way to change the security settings to allow that to happen?  How come MightyROM doesn't go into any details on it?  Aprreciate any feedback.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat