cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade for HTC Touch Pro 2

Journeyman

Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade for HTC Touch Pro 2

Can someone from Sprint please provide information on when I will be able to upgrade to Windows Mobile 6.5 on my HTC Touch Pro 2?  If not, then can someone else suggest how I can get it otherwise?

22 REPLIES 22
Master

Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade for HTC Touch Pro 2

The timeline for updates for the Touch PRO2 are October-November from HTC. But for the Sprint phone it may be different and is whatever Sprint decides to make it. Sprint hasn't mentioned anything about when or if they will make an update available.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I just got the TP 2 about a week ago by re-renewing my contract.  I've been with sprint for 8years and was planning to switch to verizon but I liked the plan they have.  From my experiance sprints customer service always sucks and now I'm regrating getting the TP2 with sprint because I will be so shocked if they actually do the upgrade in the next year.  A great phone but without the ability to connect to the market place and download the apps it is useless.  Any one who just purchased this phone and If it has not been a month yet.. I say return the phone pay the $35 restocking fee and get the ATT tilt or go somewhere and get a phone with 6.5.  I really don't know why sprint does not come out and give a date when they are going to do the upgrade.  I knwo they are trying to improve their customer service but this is a biggie..so sprint please please come out and let us know when you are doing the upgrade.. specially when people shell out $350..

Journeyman

It will be very disapointing if Sprint doesn't give us 6.5 in a reasonable amount of time. It's not worth it to me to move back to ATT though. I chose Sprint over waiting longer for ATT to release this phone because I wanted dedicated number keys - I use numbers A LOT and am sick of having to go back and forth with a function/shift key press. ATT screwed up the keypad by not keeping the top row of numbers and it lost them at least one customer.

Message was edited by: mark

Journeyman

Are you kidding Baba?  You can download the Windows Market Place cab file online and install it on your Sprint TP2.  Just google it and you'll find it.   It doesn't need to have Winmo 6.5 to do that.  Besides, there are so many programs that you can already find online and install.  You don't need the market place to do this.  Even if Sprint doesn't offer an official 6.5 rom, you can always flash it yourself(you'll be able to soon) if you really wanted it.  I know I will be installing 6.5 on my own TP2 myself.

Sprint's version cost $350 because they can't subsidize this phone as low as Verizon.  Sprint's plans are much cheaper, that's why you pay more for the phones.  As far as AT&T is concerned, their version of the TP2, aka Tilt 2 is ugly and they always butcher the keyboards too.  In the end, you'll pay much less with Sprint overall.

Master

Well, to give you the reasoning of why I don't think it's going to happen in a very timely fashion. The original TouchPro came out a year ago. Just about every other carrier out there released an updated ROM toward the beginning of the year. Sprint released the ROM on Sept. 25 less then two weeks before the TP2 was released.

There were no great improvements or differences betwee nthe Sprint ROM and any other carriers ROM, so why the almost 6-9 month delay over everyone else?

If it were me, I would extract all the CAB files from the windows directory on the phone, then try and find the WWE ROM's for the phone and use it. They will contains 6.5 as well as the new TF3D Sense UI. Then install the CABs for the Sprint TV, Sprint Navigation, etc.. that you extracted from the windows ddirectory. They just posted a bunch of languge specific ROM's on HTCpedia so only a matter of time before the WWE ROM is posted as well.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

I've just come back to Sprint from Verizon and so far it has been pretty good.  I like the free calls to all wireless subscribers and the 7pm evening start.  I think that when you choose a WM platform phone, you are signing up to an open market place where there are many apps out there, but they have to be found.  If you want a closed and managed market place, the iPhone is the best choice.  They have everything in one place.  However, that's all you get.  I like the WM environment because there are opportunities to customize vs. the very closed environment Apple provides.

Having said that, I have found the WM interface pretty outdated.  I own the HTC TP2 and they have done their best at covering it up but there are plenty of areas where I can see the old interface.  I am looking forward to 6.5 but at the same time, I can do so much more with this phone than others, I am very happy with it.  By the way, Verizon has run out of TP2's so they are now all on backorder.

Just one person's perspective.

Journeyman

ROM Upgrade to WM 6.5 available for HTC Touch Pro2 on HTC Web-site.  See attached link.

http://www.htc.com/uk/SupportViewNews.aspx?dl_id=717&news_id=300

So what is the downside to installing this now rather than waiting for Sprint to officially release?

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is indeed great news!!!

However, after reading the entry on HTC's site, I see that this will erase all Sprint specific settings so can someone point me to the right place that tells me how to backup and restore that stuff?

FYI.  I will still wait on the reply for "

So what is the downside to installing this now rather than waiting for Sprint to officially release?"  prior to doing this.

Thanks!

P.S.  I am extremely happy with my HTC Touch Pro 2 and Sprint so far, even with WM 6.1.

Master

The downside is that it won't come with anything Sprint specific. Sprint navigation, Sprint TV, Sprint NFL Mobile, Sprint Nascar, any special settings for the Sprint network right out of the box, etc, etc..

My opinion, connect the phone to the computer, extract all the CABS in the windows directory and install the ROM. Then install the extracted CABS.

--

Journeyman

I'm pretty sure non of these will work with our phone. We are stuck until Sprint comes forward with their version. Hopefully that will be soon as we can see the image is already released for our phone.

Master

Your right, for the normal user, this will not work and your better off waiting for the official Sprint ROM. But if your a bit more tech savvy then the normal user and know how to unlock your phone, then yes it will work. 

--

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat