cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade for HTC Touch Pro 2

Journeyman

Re: Windows Mobile 6.5 upgrade for HTC Touch Pro 2

smotrs wrote:

Your right, for the normal user, this will not work and your better off waiting for the official Sprint ROM. But if your a bit more tech savvy then the normal user and know how to unlock your phone, then yes it will work. 

Good luck with that, there is no unlocker available for CDMA Touch Pro2's as of right now. Plus, the phones that HTC would release a ROM for themselves would be GSM, and you don't want to install a GSM ROM on a CDMA phone.

Journeyman

There is no unlocker for CDMA currently, but the phone has only been out for a month.  The unlocker will be out soon enough for us tech savvy people.  It may take a couple of months, but I'd rather flash a rom with the new 2.5 manilla and without all of those Sprint applications I don't use on it.  You don't have to worry much about flashing the GSM rom on it as HTC will not allow you to download it from their website after you enter the serial of the CDMA phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm currently an AT&T customer using the Tilt.  I've been waiting for the Touch Pro 2 for a long time and have considering switching to Sprint even though I've been a long time AT&T customer.  I've been very happy with AT&T but the Sprint version of the Touch Pro 2 (headphone jack and dedicated number keys) and service plans are luring me over to Sprint.

The thing is I won't make the switch without Sprint providing a 6.5 (or 6.5.1) update.  I'm tech savy enough to put custom roms on the phone but I use my phone very heavily for work and I just won't risk any failures with it; so for me it has to come approved from Sprint.

I have 4 months left on my AT&T contract.  If Sprint comes out with an update before then I'll break contract and switch.  If not I'm back to evaluating all the carriers and their versions of the Touch Pro 2; and possibly the HD2 at that point.  I just hope Sprint does right by their customers and provides an update by December.  Then they'll be doing right by me because I'll be a Sprint customer at that point. =)

Journeyman

6.5 is available to upgrade but the Sprint's version of it isn't available as of yet...I got word that it will be released in the 1st quarter of 2010 which by that time you should be out of your contract with AT&T & come on over to the CDMA side of life :-)

Journeyman

Ah, sweet.  At least now I have a reason to hold off on making a new purchase, lol.

Master

If you followed the live chat today which Sprint held, this was the answer regarding WinMobile 6.5 upgrades.

They're testing Windows Mobile 6.5 updates for the HTC Touch Pro2 and other Windows phones; "plan for early 2010."

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

Awesome.  Thanks for filling us in.

Master

Tired of waiting for 6.5 to be made available until sometime next year?

Unlocker tools are now available for the Touch Pro2. The unlocker will allow you to unlock your phone and enable you to install the ROM of your choice. So you can download a ROM that HTC already made available, download a custom rom from XDA or PPC-Geeks or start cooking your own ROM for the Touch Pro2.

Unlocker available here.

--
If my post or someone else's answered your question please mark it an Accepted Solution.

Keep in mind, like you, I am a Sprint subscriber. I am in no way employed by Sprint in any sense. I just know stuff.
Journeyman

We are all tired of waiting for the update, finallySprint confirms Pre and Pixi webOS 1.4 ... I hope we are next in line here!

Journeyman

Sprint and HTC are releasing a 6.5 Rom update today (3-19-10).  Its not on the sprint or htc site yet, but I promise, the wait ends today!

Jordan

Journeyman

Here is the new post. Upgrade is now available. http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/27997?featured=true

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat