Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive

Journeyman

Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive

Will Sprint be getting the 7.8 update just released today via Zune?

51 REPLIES 51

GeoKetch1,

I am very sorry you are considering other carriers. We definitely don't want to lose you as one of our valued customers.

We work closely with device manufacturers to bring you the best device portfolio in the industry!

Sprint with Truly Unlimited data, text and calling to any mobile. No throttling, no metering and no overages, all while on the Sprint network. http://bit.ly/PAULQF

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

Tom28173,

We really don't want you to leave and switch other carriers. We really appreciate all of our guys input. I'll go ahead and forward this up.

As it is a concern that you all have, once again thank you for your input.

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

George,

Its nice to see that a Sprint employee is actually monitoring HTC Arrive threads. The Phone is in dire need of the upgrade and Sprint does not seem to care that the software keyboard will randomly dissapear as one is typing.  This was a known issue in which was addressed by the other 3 major carriers except Sprint.  Verizon had a veryy similar Generation1 HTC device and they updated it in August of 2012 and Sprint never once mentioned a relase for the update.  there was no reason as to why Sprint could not release the "Tango" update.  This release included the fix for the dissapearing keyboard, hotspot, among other MMS attachments.  Now with Windows Phone 7.8 Sprint has the oppertunity to refresh this phone to a whole new level and will be a missed oppertunity if they dont like jedikfc indicated.  When their contract is up, the people looking for a Windows Phone will go elsewhere.  This is not Microsofts fault, but primarily Sprints fault if it is not release because Microsoft has released it and now its up to the carriers to impliment the update.  there are many people who have upgraded their Arrived to 7.8 and have zero issues although the process is done without connecting to Zune, it works nontheless better than the Sprint phones without the update.  I had the Arrive but recently left for the new Nokia 920 device on another carrier primarily because my perception was that Sprint did not care about me as a Windows Phone customer.  I was with Sprint since November of 1998 and the lack of support for my device of choice was not something I took lightly especially when it was Sprint the one not supporting me.  I was an advocate for Sprint, I brought many people to Sprint including many of my freinds and family on the HTC Arrive.  Now I personally know of 5 people who left to another carrier for the Nokia 920.  If only Tango "MCR3" was released, I would have likely stuck around.  You can include myselft and my friends and family among the 1million who left Sprin in Q4. 

http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/07/sprint-q4-2012-financials/

http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/trophy.pdf

Journeyman

On top of all that, simply go to the Community section (towards the top of the page), Ratings and reviews select "smarthphones", then simply sort by highest rating.  Notice how the sole Windows Phone 7 device is the second highest rated phone Sprint has had in the past 4 years?  This is not just me, but people who use Windows Phone and actually take the time to learn the non iOS/Android system (lets face it Android was derived from iOS so those two go hand in hand), will yeild great results.  Its difficult for me to see that the second highest rated phone (I wont include anything with less than 100 reviews) Sprint has had even without the updates, has zero support.

Journeyman

Your post, Venom01x, is entirely true - I could not agree more.  Sprint does not support WP7 users like the others, and it is a shame.  Disappearing keyboard is such an annoyance, esp. when you know a fix has been out forever.

No need to wait on WP 7.8 update, however, as I have the HTC Arrive and just updated it via a free tool I found out about this week:

http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

It needs to run about 60 minutes in  total but it worked just fine and now I am running v7.10.8858.136 and it looks/functions superbly.  Why wait on Sprint for this update?  We are waiting on WP8 already...I've been a customer since 1998 but know that they will put WP users last in line around here - only their pricing (I have 5 lines) keeps me around.

I will be buying a WP8 handset the day they come out..."summer" is a bit vague, however, so I hope Sprint aims for Memorial Day and not Labor Day.

Journeyman

Your post, Venom01x, is entirely true - I could not agree more.  Sprint does not support WP7 users like the others, and it is a shame.  Disappearing keyboard is such an annoyance, esp. when you know a fix has been out forever.

No need to wait on WP 7.8 update, however, as I have the HTC Arrive and just updated it via a free tool I found out about this week:

http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

It needs to run about 60 minutes in  total but it worked just fine and now I am running v7.10.8858.136 and it looks/functions superbly.  Why wait on Sprint for this update?  We are waiting on WP8 already...I've been a customer since 1998 but know that they will put WP users last in line around here - only their pricing (I have 5 lines) keeps me around.

I will be buying a WP8 handset the day they come out..."summer" is a bit vague, however, so I hope Sprint aims for Memorial Day and not Labor Day.

Journeyman

Journeyman

Journeyman

Hi Bob.  If you get a chance, tell us which language packs you installed so that we can download the hack and circumvent Sprints lack of commitment.  As I understood it, if the wrong language pack were installed it would cause some issues.  Thanks in advance.  I will have to give this a try.   

Journeyman

Venom, I only installed the 'English-United States' language pack and that was all.  24 hours later, still no issues with this update, which is good to report.

Journeyman

My story is very similar to yours. I was a long time Sprint customer and a long time Windows Mobile/Phone user. When I couldn't get any answers to the question of updating the HTC Arrive past the 7720 build (Mango) after many attempts on the phone and emails, I finally decided that Sprint was not interested in providing me with the support that I was paying for.

In January 2013, I cancelled my 3 Sprint lines and moved on to Verizon where I could get a decent Windows Phone 8 device (without the disappearing keyboard).  My wife and I both now have the Nokia Lumia 822 and we love them.

We still have the two Arrives and I was curious as to whether they were going to get the 7.8 update.  I read online that someone contacted HTC and was told that it would not get the update.  That is when I looked for an alternate method and happily found a great one that worked like a charm.  Below is the link to the program but use it at your own risk.

By the way, I installed all of the available languages (select all) and didn't have any issues, although

I'm not really using them as phones any longer. My wife uses hers as an alarm clock and my daughter uses mine as an mp3 player, game player, and camera.

Venom01x,

Wow, well once again thank you very much for the feedback. I have followed all this information up.

You voice will be heard, I really appreciate your valued time and business with us.

If you need anything else, we're here!

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat