cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive

Journeyman

Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive

I thought I would add my voice to the call for Windows Phone 7.8.  I too am a long time Sprint Customer and the only time I have been disappointed in sprint is how they have handled the whole windows Phone issue (7.8 and 8). 

As long term customers all we are asking is for soem answers, when will 7.8 be available to us?  When will a Windows Phone 8 be available to us?  People become the most upset when a bussiness does not provide the answers to thier questions and just respond with vague answers like our politicians! 

Please do not come back with a general answer like "Sprint is evaluating the 7.8 update and will release it when the evaluation is complete" because that answer is just BS.

Thanks

Journeyman

Add me to the growing list of customers who are very dissappointed with Sprint's lack of Windows phones and support. What are they thinking? Two of my three lines are now out of contract and I will be moving them all to Verizon when the last line is out in June. I do like my Arrive, even with its occasioanally dissapearing keyboard, but I want a Nokia 920 with Windows Phone 8. I plan on making the move when it becomes available on Verizon. I have been a customer since 1999. 

Journeyman

8 days and no response, whats up?   This should not be a hard question.  ARe sprint users getting the 7.8 update or not!

Please respond!

BCALLEN44,

I do sincerely apologize for the delay in my response.

At this time we don't have answers for those questions. If we did, we would definitely share that information with you. One of our valued customers.

You can always check http://bit.ly/9ICD7K and http://bit.ly/mKtI6S for more product updates and press release information.

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

"We don't have answers for those questions"  What kind of BS is that?  Sprint and everyone that works for sprint should be embarased by that non-answer. 

The answer should be easy;

Is sprint going to release windows Phone 7.8 update for the HTC Arrive?  Yes / No or Maybe?

If Yes - Then what is the expected release date?

If No - Then why not?

If Maybe - then why has sprint not yet made a decision? 

If the answer is no just tell us so that we can take our bussiness elsewhere.

Thank you,

Brian Callen, long time customer!

Journeyman

Not trying to defend Sprint here, but I would be surprised if any cellular provider would answer the question much differently. You just don't get straight answers to seemingly simple questions from these companies. But, since this is a really simple question, Sprint ought to know what the policy is by now - nearly one month after the update was released. So I must assume the answer is no. Which really torks me because providing the update is a simple thing and really the least Sprint can and should do. They owe me this for being a customer. Especially since I have been putting up with all of the dropped calls and slow data speeds during their network upgrades.

So Sprint, please read this article in this month's Forbes:

Denying Windows Phone Users WP 7.8 Is Short-Sighted And Will Weaken Relationships

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2013/02/03/denying-windows-phone-users-wp-7-8-is-short-sighte...

"Customers buying a handset have an implicit contract that they will be kept as up to date as possible. To have the network overrule the manufacturer, to overrule the operating system owners, and to weaken the eco-system is short sighted and ultimately weakens the networks themselves over the long run, pushing customers to buying SIM-free handsets with no network interference."

Journeyman

Yeah, there's 3 of us in my household that are waiting on the 7.8 update. My contract is up at the end of May and unless there is a compelling selection of Windows phones and if 4G isn't lit up in our area around that time, we may have to look at other options, even though I've been with Sprint for around a decade.

Journeyman

I used the trick listed above and so far 3 weeks into it no issues..

http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

Trust me and the guy who originally posted the "trick" it is simple and makes the phone much better in the long run.  By the time the update comes out all of you will either

A) be on WP8

B) left

Just use the update above and be happy.

Journeyman

Just my two cents also.  Even though Sprint has announced that they will be releasing a WP8 phone this summer I am very disappointed with them and their handling of the WP devices to date.  I am still considering leaving Sprint in December 2013, because of this.  I left AT&T 13yrs ago for Sprint because they did not have the phones I wanted and now I may return to AT&T because it seems they learned their lesson.  A carrier that does not have the latest devices is a carrier who is losing customers and Sprint is bleeding customers.  Sprint is not providing WP updates and phones as quickly as they should and I have no reason to believe they will in the future.  I have been eligible for an upgrade to a new phone since November 2012 and have been unable to do so because Sprint is not providing the phones I want.  Even though Sprint is releasing WP8 phones this summer I will have to seriously consider limping along with my current WP7 device until December when I can take my 5 lines to another carrier.

Journeyman

Since I don't think that Sprint is ever going to get around to updating the Arrive, I decided to install the update myself using the Windows Phone Hacker installer that others on this thread have used and recommended.

It works!

I now have Windows Phone 7.8 on my Arrive. The whole process took about an hour and was fairly simple using the installer. There were no errors and everything on the phone works great.

Here is a tutorial of the steps I took. Note: you will need to install all of the available Language packs.

1. Connect your phone to your PC via USB. Close Zune after it opens. Note: Zune must be installed on your PC for this to work.
  2. Download the file seveneighter.zip to your PC: http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13
  3. Extract the zip file to a folder on your PC using the built in zip tools in Windows.
  4. Browse to the extracted seveneighter folder and double click SevenEighter.exe to start the updater.
  5. Click the Install WP7.8 button in the Seven-Eighter program window, .
  6. If you get a message warning you that you do not have the WP7 Update tool on your PC, select Yes to download it. You may proceed to step 7 if you already have the WP7 Update flashing tool on your PC. The WP7 Update tool is downloaded as an .rar file. While some users have reported that this tool installed automatically, I had to extract and install it manually. To do this, you may need to download and install an .rar unpacker such as the free 7-Zip program. After extracting the WP7 Update tool, click the Setup file for either the 32 or 64 bit installer depending on what version of Windows you have, and install it on your PC. After the Update Tool is installed, go back to the Seven-Eighter window and click the Install WP7.8 button again.
  7. Place a check mark next to ALL of the language packs and proceed with the update.
  8. The updates will now be downloaded and installed on your phone. The updater does this sequentially, one update at a time, and the whole process can take up to an hour. You will see the phone reboot after each update is installed, and the next download will begin automatically. Finally, after about half a dozen downloads, WP 7.8 will boot up and you will notice that the tiles now cover the entire start screen.

Note: The Seven-Eighter program window will remain open with the scrolling green progress bar even after all updates have completed . However, it will show that the device has been updated to version 07.10.08862.03, the downloading process will stop, and there will be another small popup window with the message, "Congratulations! You're done!" Click the OK button and close the Seven-Eighter window.

I like WP 7.8 and feel it's a worthwhile update. There are more colors and the tiles can be customized to fit more apps on your start screen. All of my messages, emails, apps, calendars, settings and phone history were retained after the update. Everything is working normally. Note: WiFi did not connect right after the update but turning it off and on again did the trick and it has since connected normally.

Message was edited by: gveets 6/02/2013 - updated instructions to latest version of WP 7.8.  Note: Today, I updated my Arrive to v7.10.8862 from 8858. You must download the most recent version of the Seven-Eighter updater to receive the two recent minor updates.

Journeyman

Would like to use the trick to upgrade to 7.8 but it's a 64 bit app not 32 bit

Journeyman

The update app has both 32 and 64 bit Windows versions. They are both packed in the seveneighter.zip file. The seveneighter.exe file automatically chooses which version to use when you start the program. 

Community News

Please help us to keep our Community a positive laughing and helpful innocent space for all members cool.
Be sure to read our Rules & Guidelines and if you have any concerns surprised just send a private sealed message to @Seawolf or @A11ey, and we'll check it out!