cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Many disappointed loyal Sprint customers will like to see some Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. I am one of the loyal customers who have been with Sprint for 11 years and would love to see some Nokia Lumia devices on Sprint’s network. Therefore, what can make us loyal customers somewhat happy until there is the possibility of getting a Nokia device with Sprint? With some heavy research, I have found a way to get the Windows Phone 8.1 update before the release in mid to late summer. I hope this makes some people happy because there are many people deciding to leave Sprint at the end of their contract if Sprint does not get any Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. Without further ado, I shall give instructions on how to get the update. I will also leave a YouTube video of the instructions and a review as well. 

First, you will need a developer account to receive access to the OS upgrade. You can pay for a developer account, or you can register with “App Studio” for free if you are not serious about building applications. Just go to the “App Studio” website that I mention in the video and sign in with your Microsoft account. It is a short fast process. Click Yes to let the app access your info, then click the box to accept the terms and agreement and then click register.

Second, they will send you an email welcoming you to Windows App Studio. Check the email from your phone and click on the link that tells you to install a certificate on your phone. On your phone, you will enter your password and sign in. Once you sign in, you will see the Downloading file message. Clickopen” then clickTap to open AET.aetx” and then clickadd” to Add workplace account and you are done. There will be no confirmation after you click “add” for the Add workplace account. NOTE: If “Tap to open AET.aetx” does not work, tap in the browser bar at the bottom of the page on your phone and once the keyboard come up, click the enter button and then click “add” for the Add workplace account.

Third, from your Windows Phone device, go to the store application and type “Preview for Developers” in the search box. Download the app to your phone and start it up. On the Preview for Developers screen, click next. On the Terms and Conditions screen, click accept. On the Sign in screen, sign in with your account and tap sign in. On the Preview for Developers screen, tap the empty box to put a check in it to Enable Preview for Developers and tap “done”. You will see the Success screen indicating you were successful and done.

Finally, The Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview was available April 14, 2014. To get the updates in your phone, go to > Settings > Phone Update > Check for updates and the updates will start. Please be patient because it took me 45 minutes to an hour to get the updates on my phone and it took 15 to 20 minutes to get the updates on my mother phone. Assuming the reason it was faster to update my mother’s phone than it was to update my phone is, she has the Nokia Lumia 920 with AT&T and the GDR3 update. This is the reason it required very little updating to Windows Phone 8.1 preview as to where my Samsung Ativ S Neo with Sprint needed many updates before getting the Windows Phone 8.1 preview update.

In conclusion, if you wait to get the official update that Sprint plans to release this summer, the download will still be a long one. Everyone with the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview will also be able to download the official Windows Phone 8.1 update when released this summer. Now that I have the update on my phone and played with it for a couple of days, I am happy to say it works smooth as butter and I have had no problems. It has taken my mind off getting a Nokia Lumia device for the moment. I still want a Nokia Lumia 1520 Sprint variant. One other thing that users should keep in mind when installing Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview is the fact that they will not be able to revert to the older platform iteration. And, for what it’s worth, there’s no actual reason to do that. After the update, DO NOT DO A HARD RESET! There is a possibility to void your warranty, so you should take that risk into account. However, the process is said to be safe, and there is little chance if any that the phone will be damaged. Microsoft has already confirmed Windows Phone 8.1 will be released to all Windows Phone 8 devices out there, which means that you can grab the Developer Preview.

wp_ss_20140417_0002.jpg          

Edit: I'm also adding a video that shows a cool feature called "Project My Screen" which will allow you to broadcast everything on your Windows Phone 8.1 to your Windows 8 PC Display Monitor. Just go to my YouTube video page and get the link to download the "Project My Screen" app for the PC. I give instructions in the video showing how it works and how to do it.

Message was edited by: APOCALYPSEAD

227 REPLIES 227
Journeyman

Re: Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Great post.  I actually went through this process in March so I could get 8.1 on my ATIV S Neo as soon as it was launched and I absolutely love it.  I agree that Sprint should do what they can to get more options for Windows phones.  However, in the mean time, I'm loving 8.1.  I highly recommend it to everyone.

Journeyman

Thanks I'm happy at the moment but I'm still waiting on Sprint to say they will be getting some Nokia phones since Microsoft owns the Nokia phone division now. If I see an awesome new Nokia phone come to another carrier and Sprint don't make any announcement about getting some, I'm going to leave them and go to another carrier just like other loyal customers. All the customer reps say the same thing, "Check the news room". None of them who work for Sprint says here is a contact number to corporate office to ask someone there.

Master

APOCALYPSEAD sorry. Unfortunately, the news room is the only source we have for new phone announcements. Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with? Roxana Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

When will Sprint release their version of Windows Phone 8.1?

Master

APOCALYPSEAD Unfortunately, there is no update of when it will be released as of yet. However, here is a link to our newsroom for any updates on this matter http://bit.ly/1gCkzMz. Mirleine Sprint Social Care Team
Journeyman

I previewed the Nokias at the new Microsoft store in Lexington KY last week when they opened.  Very nice.  I agree with everyone that the HTC customer service lacks, but I think it goes deeper than that; it feels like Sprint only brought on the W8 phones because they wanted to head off the Windows user's exodus to AT&T and such.  When you say Windows to the CSRs or reps in the Sprint stores they seem to want to crawl away and hide.  I took my 8XT in this week because it was doing odd things and working remotely (I'm in IT) in another state the WiFi went out where I was working.  So called up and had them turn on the WiFi hotspot on the phone (it isn't built to be tethered) and that was fine, but when my W8.1 laptop accessed the wireless it would reboot every time it came back up.  Turn off the wireless and had no issues.  I believe it's the IRQ addressing.  Anyway I had a "talk" with the rep at the Sprint store and told him my concerns including the WiFi issues.  He asked if I wanted to look at the display model to see if it "felt" the same as mine.  We walked over to the wall and they had NO W8 phones on display and none we could look at..  I looked at him and said "you just verified what I was saying".  He told me that he doesn't have users come in looking to buy Windows phones, to which I added "you can not sell what you don't show".  It's all smoke and mirrors with Sprint and Win phones.  If they were serious about selling Win phones they wouldn't have 1 or 2 from companies with little to no customer support nor would they choose companies that are not interested in supporting Win phones.  Go onto their websites (esp HTC) and you have to search to find the 8XT.  AND IT'S A CURRENT MODEL.

Anyway I get off topic...  I went directly over to the MS store after Sprint and found that the Nokias can be tethered both BT and wired.  They are running the pre-release 8.1 on all the phones in the store so we went through the procedure to update mine.  It took about an hour (I'm a developer) and in the end after rebooting voila!  It's still W8 and it now states it's up to date, so it must not be capable of upgrading to the W8.1 pre-release that is available.

Master

Thanks for reaching out. We work closely with the manufacture when releasing these updates. You can keep up with all the official announcements for the release of this update through the forums for the 8XT.

Regards,
Duane
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

You can get the update for your phone because Microsoft has already confirm that it will work on every Windows Phone 8 device. There is something that you guys must have missed. I to work in the IT department. Most of the time it is the “Tap to open AET.aetx” that gives people problems. When it comes up, some people have to tap in the browser address bar and then tap the enter button. I stress that one step in the written instruction and in the video. There are several update before you get the 8.1 update, so you will have to be patient. You might have to go through the settings and check for the update manually sometimes. I did it even though I had auto update checked. I have helped a lot of people update on all carriers with different phones. If you need assistance, I will do my best to help.

I also know what you mean about store reps not knowing or being able to help at all when it comes to Windows Phone! I have went to the Sprint store and to no surprise, there weren't any Windows Phone in the store. The Sprint reps tried to convince me to buy an Android phone or an IPhone. Its amazing how the reps have no knowledge about something they sail. Even the Sprint reps on the phone and on the website have no clue at all, and I'm quite sure Sprint has an IT department with technical assistance. This is just a prime example of Sprints customer service to loyal customers and the limited brain power in management and technical support. Hopefully they will start listening to customers and if this happens after they become the nations 4th largest carrier, then so be it. If Softbank gets the green light to buy and merge with T-Mobile, I hope they do not put good old Dan in charge and put T-Mobile CEO in charge if the merger go through. I'm quite sure there will be some firing or layoffs mostly in the Sprint department because of the lack of knowledge and innovation. So lets hope for the best!

Journeyman

As a word of caution.  I downloaded the Windows 8.1 preview on my laptop before the official release.  When the official release hit the market, I updated my laptop.  In doing so it wiped out all of my settings and software, so I was basically starting with a blank slate.  Everything was wiped clean.  Preview developer versions aren't intended for long term use or for the general public.  I don't know if this will happen to your phones or not when they finally release the official Sprint version, but it sure was a pain on my laptop.  There really wasn't any warnings.  My old software was moved to a dormant directory and was pretty much useless.

Good luck, and beware...  

Journeyman

APOCALYPSEAD wrote:

Thanks I'm happy at the moment but I'm still waiting on Sprint to say they will be getting some Nokia phones since Microsoft owns the Nokia phone division now. If I see an awesome new Nokia phone come to another carrier and Sprint don't make any announcement about getting some, I'm going to leave them and go to another carrier just like other loyal customers. All the customer reps say the same thing, "Check the news room". None of them who work for Sprint says here is a contact number to corporate office to ask someone there.

Everyone here keeps telling these geniuses to stop referring us to that pointless newsroom, but they still keep doing it. They're better off just not answering.

Journeyman

Microsoft has already made it clear that Windows Phone 8.1 preview for developers will be able to update to the official release of Windows Phone 8.1 just like all Windows Phone 8 devices will be able to. As for Windows 8, I didn't experience that problem and I was able to have everything working well with the official release of Windows 8. Its always good to back up everything before installing a new operating system on to the computer. Even if its a beta OS being replaced with an official copy, always do a back up.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat