cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Many disappointed loyal Sprint customers will like to see some Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. I am one of the loyal customers who have been with Sprint for 11 years and would love to see some Nokia Lumia devices on Sprint’s network. Therefore, what can make us loyal customers somewhat happy until there is the possibility of getting a Nokia device with Sprint? With some heavy research, I have found a way to get the Windows Phone 8.1 update before the release in mid to late summer. I hope this makes some people happy because there are many people deciding to leave Sprint at the end of their contract if Sprint does not get any Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. Without further ado, I shall give instructions on how to get the update. I will also leave a YouTube video of the instructions and a review as well. 

First, you will need a developer account to receive access to the OS upgrade. You can pay for a developer account, or you can register with “App Studio” for free if you are not serious about building applications. Just go to the “App Studio” website that I mention in the video and sign in with your Microsoft account. It is a short fast process. Click Yes to let the app access your info, then click the box to accept the terms and agreement and then click register.

Second, they will send you an email welcoming you to Windows App Studio. Check the email from your phone and click on the link that tells you to install a certificate on your phone. On your phone, you will enter your password and sign in. Once you sign in, you will see the Downloading file message. Clickopen” then clickTap to open AET.aetx” and then clickadd” to Add workplace account and you are done. There will be no confirmation after you click “add” for the Add workplace account. NOTE: If “Tap to open AET.aetx” does not work, tap in the browser bar at the bottom of the page on your phone and once the keyboard come up, click the enter button and then click “add” for the Add workplace account.

Third, from your Windows Phone device, go to the store application and type “Preview for Developers” in the search box. Download the app to your phone and start it up. On the Preview for Developers screen, click next. On the Terms and Conditions screen, click accept. On the Sign in screen, sign in with your account and tap sign in. On the Preview for Developers screen, tap the empty box to put a check in it to Enable Preview for Developers and tap “done”. You will see the Success screen indicating you were successful and done.

Finally, The Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview was available April 14, 2014. To get the updates in your phone, go to > Settings > Phone Update > Check for updates and the updates will start. Please be patient because it took me 45 minutes to an hour to get the updates on my phone and it took 15 to 20 minutes to get the updates on my mother phone. Assuming the reason it was faster to update my mother’s phone than it was to update my phone is, she has the Nokia Lumia 920 with AT&T and the GDR3 update. This is the reason it required very little updating to Windows Phone 8.1 preview as to where my Samsung Ativ S Neo with Sprint needed many updates before getting the Windows Phone 8.1 preview update.

In conclusion, if you wait to get the official update that Sprint plans to release this summer, the download will still be a long one. Everyone with the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview will also be able to download the official Windows Phone 8.1 update when released this summer. Now that I have the update on my phone and played with it for a couple of days, I am happy to say it works smooth as butter and I have had no problems. It has taken my mind off getting a Nokia Lumia device for the moment. I still want a Nokia Lumia 1520 Sprint variant. One other thing that users should keep in mind when installing Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview is the fact that they will not be able to revert to the older platform iteration. And, for what it’s worth, there’s no actual reason to do that. After the update, DO NOT DO A HARD RESET! There is a possibility to void your warranty, so you should take that risk into account. However, the process is said to be safe, and there is little chance if any that the phone will be damaged. Microsoft has already confirmed Windows Phone 8.1 will be released to all Windows Phone 8 devices out there, which means that you can grab the Developer Preview.

wp_ss_20140417_0002.jpg          

Edit: I'm also adding a video that shows a cool feature called "Project My Screen" which will allow you to broadcast everything on your Windows Phone 8.1 to your Windows 8 PC Display Monitor. Just go to my YouTube video page and get the link to download the "Project My Screen" app for the PC. I give instructions in the video showing how it works and how to do it.

Message was edited by: APOCALYPSEAD

227 REPLIES 227
Highlighted
Journeyman

So I tried one last time to get an answer from Sammy. I pointed out that they were reffering to the firmware version and I wanted the WP OS version update. They changed their tune suprisingly but still don't get it.

Dear G,

Thank you for contacting Samsung Telecommunications America.

Thank you for your correspondence. We are glad to assist you with the required information.

We have checked the details for you, we see that the current software version on your phone is 2216.14.01.2, it is not up to date, please update the device using below link.

Link : http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000004/12286/146887/SPH-I800HNASPR

We are unable to speculate when/if this software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion. Should this become available, it will be posted on our website in the Samsung Download Center or you will be informed by your service provider. Please feel free to check with us periodically for updates.

Samsung always strives towards customer satisfaction. Your satisfaction is utmost important to us.<--- I don't think so!

This weekend I will take the phone to a Windows store and see if they will upgrade it, I don't think Sammy or Sprint intends to do jack .... Well you know!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Funny how they say it is not up to date in the 3rd email, but in the second email, they say there are no further updates.  Sprint and Samsung better come through for us "this summer" with the 8.1 update, or I am through with Samsung and Sprint.  The official update should be pumped to us from Sprint.  I shouldn't have to take my phone to a Microsoft store to get a developer version installed on my phone because Samsung and Sprint aren't releasing it.  We pay for support and Sprint should support the customer and the Windows platform.  Instead, we get, we feel your pain and check the newsroom.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't understand why this whole process is so secretive...it seems like there would be a benefit to easing the minds of customers by making it more transparent.  Sprint announced months ago that the 8.1 update would be coming to both the Ativ and the 8xt...so why not continue to offer updates as to the ETA???  I would rather deal with changes to the ETA than simply being given no info whatsoever.  Even a ball park, "We are shooting for sometime between the end of August and beginning of Septermber," would be nice.  It would keep us from hounding the forums constantly and would reduce our frustration with Sprint.  "Check the newsroom" is pointless when there is never any information given there.  So I have written a list of newsroom releases that Sprint should consider using to keep us relaxed:

"We're working on the 8.1 update and hope to have it to you within the next month."

"We know you're anxious for the 8.1 update, but hang in there, it's coming soon."

"Ok, looks like we should be able to release the 8.1 update within the next week or two."

"We are still unsure of our ETA for 8.1, but rest assured we are working to get it rolled out to our windows phones ASAP."

None of these quotes would be particularly controversial, nor would they lock Sprint into anything substantial....but they'd ease our minds that this update isn't getting lost in the cracks.  We WP users are a nervous bunch, given the relegated status we have endured here at Sprint.  A little reassurance (and INFO!!!) would be nice.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Developer preview??? I thought he got the this one 8.10.12397.895* isn't that it??

Windows Phone 8 update&amp;#10;&amp;#9; history | Windows Phone How-to (United States)

Highlighted
Master

MSPEAK11 I am so sorry about the inconvenience. Unfortunately, all updates are pushed out by the manufacturer as soon as the updates become available we will push it out to our customers. - MitzieSprint Social Care
Highlighted
Master

DIALM4SPEED- Thanks for the post. Let us know if you need any assistance. - Joanne
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

According to wpcentral, Microsoft will be rolling out update 1 for Windows Phone 8.1 Preview users next week.  Even though there is a preview version of Windows Phone 8.1, Microsoft has released the 8.1 code to Samsung a while back.  And Sprint is waiting for Samsung to send the final tested code to them to push out to the Ativ S Neo users.  This is how I understand it.  Is this correct?  I think it is in "developer preview" until we get the official version pushed to us from Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Mitzie at customer social care

Microsoft released the update to manufactures over a month ago. I think you need to revise your scripted statement.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've heard so many different stories I don't know what to believe anymore! Considering how I got the run around from Sammy I don't trust them as far as I could throw 'em!

Highlighted
Journeyman

It appears that report of Microsoft stores being able to update the phones is a hoax! I called a MS specialty store and he said they DON'T do that.     He also said his understanding is the update will come to us around late August or early September.  Whatever!  I'm backing away from all this before I take a hammer to this phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8.1(8.10.12400.899) is the developer preview update 1 for next week.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The answer to most questions! The Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 is 8.10.12400.899...This is what everyone will be getting ( Should you get the Preview for Windows Phone 8.1 Update? We tell you. | Windows Phone Central ) If Sprint or Samsung don't send it, it will not hurt anyone to get the developer preview. NO ONE HAS HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE DEVELOPER PREVIEW! There were rumors at the beginning of the year that stated Sprint will be getting two new Windows Phones but I don't see that happening anytime soon. Also, the Summer does not really end until September. So, for those who have patients, continue to wait on Sprint. I'll just be waiting on Sprint to send patches and firmware updates to the update I already have. If you want to know how to update to the developer preview, check out my instructions here in the forums https://community.sprint.com/baw/message/788267#788267  Windows Phone 8.1 update 1 is almost here and we will be able to have unlocked Nokia Lumia phones on Sprint because President Barack Obama signed it into law ( President signs cell phone unlocking bill into law - CNET ) The Nokia Lumia Icon on Verizon also known as the Nokia Lumia 930 looks pretty good for Sprint. If we can just get 4G with it!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat