cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Windows Phone 8.1 Update on Sprint!

Many disappointed loyal Sprint customers will like to see some Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. I am one of the loyal customers who have been with Sprint for 11 years and would love to see some Nokia Lumia devices on Sprint’s network. Therefore, what can make us loyal customers somewhat happy until there is the possibility of getting a Nokia device with Sprint? With some heavy research, I have found a way to get the Windows Phone 8.1 update before the release in mid to late summer. I hope this makes some people happy because there are many people deciding to leave Sprint at the end of their contract if Sprint does not get any Nokia Lumia Windows Phones. Without further ado, I shall give instructions on how to get the update. I will also leave a YouTube video of the instructions and a review as well. 

First, you will need a developer account to receive access to the OS upgrade. You can pay for a developer account, or you can register with “App Studio” for free if you are not serious about building applications. Just go to the “App Studio” website that I mention in the video and sign in with your Microsoft account. It is a short fast process. Click Yes to let the app access your info, then click the box to accept the terms and agreement and then click register.

Second, they will send you an email welcoming you to Windows App Studio. Check the email from your phone and click on the link that tells you to install a certificate on your phone. On your phone, you will enter your password and sign in. Once you sign in, you will see the Downloading file message. Clickopen” then clickTap to open AET.aetx” and then clickadd” to Add workplace account and you are done. There will be no confirmation after you click “add” for the Add workplace account. NOTE: If “Tap to open AET.aetx” does not work, tap in the browser bar at the bottom of the page on your phone and once the keyboard come up, click the enter button and then click “add” for the Add workplace account.

Third, from your Windows Phone device, go to the store application and type “Preview for Developers” in the search box. Download the app to your phone and start it up. On the Preview for Developers screen, click next. On the Terms and Conditions screen, click accept. On the Sign in screen, sign in with your account and tap sign in. On the Preview for Developers screen, tap the empty box to put a check in it to Enable Preview for Developers and tap “done”. You will see the Success screen indicating you were successful and done.

Finally, The Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview was available April 14, 2014. To get the updates in your phone, go to > Settings > Phone Update > Check for updates and the updates will start. Please be patient because it took me 45 minutes to an hour to get the updates on my phone and it took 15 to 20 minutes to get the updates on my mother phone. Assuming the reason it was faster to update my mother’s phone than it was to update my phone is, she has the Nokia Lumia 920 with AT&T and the GDR3 update. This is the reason it required very little updating to Windows Phone 8.1 preview as to where my Samsung Ativ S Neo with Sprint needed many updates before getting the Windows Phone 8.1 preview update.

In conclusion, if you wait to get the official update that Sprint plans to release this summer, the download will still be a long one. Everyone with the Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview will also be able to download the official Windows Phone 8.1 update when released this summer. Now that I have the update on my phone and played with it for a couple of days, I am happy to say it works smooth as butter and I have had no problems. It has taken my mind off getting a Nokia Lumia device for the moment. I still want a Nokia Lumia 1520 Sprint variant. One other thing that users should keep in mind when installing Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview is the fact that they will not be able to revert to the older platform iteration. And, for what it’s worth, there’s no actual reason to do that. After the update, DO NOT DO A HARD RESET! There is a possibility to void your warranty, so you should take that risk into account. However, the process is said to be safe, and there is little chance if any that the phone will be damaged. Microsoft has already confirmed Windows Phone 8.1 will be released to all Windows Phone 8 devices out there, which means that you can grab the Developer Preview.

wp_ss_20140417_0002.jpg          

Edit: I'm also adding a video that shows a cool feature called "Project My Screen" which will allow you to broadcast everything on your Windows Phone 8.1 to your Windows 8 PC Display Monitor. Just go to my YouTube video page and get the link to download the "Project My Screen" app for the PC. I give instructions in the video showing how it works and how to do it.

Message was edited by: APOCALYPSEAD

227 REPLIES 227
Highlighted
Journeyman

You have to download the Developer Preview App and create an account. From there you can upgrade to the 8.1, but it's not Sprint's official 8.1 update for all Windows Phones. The fact that the Sprint Care reps are not picking up on this shows how inept they are.

slabaw81 wrote:

So I have the HTC 8xt, I followed the steps on here and never got an email. My phone is still 8.0 idk if I did something wrong but as frustrated as I am I'm sure I can wait till the end of the month. Anyone have any other ideas?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Last I heard was the update will happen around the end of August to middle of September.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Who knows! I got tired of dealing with it and decided to wait after the guy at the MS store told me the date he heard. Looking for answers all over the net and finding nothing but confusion and silence made me nothing but angry.

Highlighted
Master

DIALM4SPEED

Do you have any questions or concerns you want to address? Keep me posted.

Kendra
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

When is Windows Phone 8.1 going to be released on the HTC 8X?!  I specifically bought this phone knowing the 8.1 upgrade was coming and have been frustrated since May 2014.  I have tried the Preview for Developers route, loaded everything successfully, and have been trying "phone update" in the settings weekly for the last three months, and keep getting the "Your phone is up to date" message. Sorry, OS Version 8.0.10521.155 just isn't "up to date".  What is going on, folks?!  Why is Sprint blocking this?!!

Highlighted
Master

harkins4

There's no new information regarding this, but you can visit www.Sprint.com for the latest information.

- Robtisha
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

Actually it's not Sprint that's blocking it, it's HTC who needs to send the firmware updates to the phones in order for you to get the 8.1 update 1. It sucks when you have three different companies to go through. Sprint, Microsoft, and the OEM which in your case is HTC. This is a problem to customers on all carriers with HTC Windows Phones. I use to have the HTC Arrive and I decided to upgrade a different route this time. I hate how late they are at supporting their devises if even they ever do support them. Hopefully with enough complaints from customers, HTC will send the firmware updates in order for everyone to get the latest 8.1 update 1!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Contrary to statements here that the developer update has had no ill effects on any Sprint phones, use caution. This forum and the net is full of the resulting problems and cancellation of warranty  from Sprint.

The update from sprint is coming this summer was the cry. The reality is every other carrier has their clients using the updated version except one. There is now less then 2 weeks of summer, but no Sprint update.

They still have not fixed the voice mail notification imbedded in the OS since the phones where introduced. over a year ago. I wonder how on schedule the update will be that was released to Sprint by Microsoft 3 months ago?

Keep hoping for the unlocked phone so you can go to a carrier that has customers satisfaction in mind!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info.  Now on to HTC to fuss at them!

Highlighted
Master

-harkins4 -Thank you for posting. Let us know if there's anything we can do for you. We're here to help. -Ramiro
Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

When you say voice mail, are you talking about the visual voice mail app or the phone tile icon? VVM actually works in the 8.1 update, but it is still buggy. As far as unlocked devices go, It has been passed and we can now get unlocked phones from any carrier on Sprint as long as it supports Sprint network bandwidth. Cant wait to try out the Nokia Lumia Icon / 930 from Verizon. Lets also hope with the new CEO things get better and we get lower prices since the merger with T-Mobile didn't go through and they are so close to surpassing Sprint. It's great to have completion, so the customers can have better prices and service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've used developer preview to update to Windows phone 8.1 on the Samsung ATIV S NEO and attempted it on the HTC 8XT. My experience was that the 8XT will not accept the update and the Samsung can't do a network profile update once 8.1 is installed. Both of my experiences were confirmed by Sprint techs in store, on the phone and via text on the Sprint website. If you move around a lot like I do your battery will burn out in apx four hours as it tries to run without the updates. There is no network profile update on the settings menu for 8.1 and the ## codes don't work.

other than that I love the new Windows. I wish I could use it.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat