Thank you, David. The issue I was having has been resolved, per sham_wow's recommendation. However, I am unable to get MMS texts, including group texts, pictures text and multiple message texts. This just started recently (2 weeks, roughly). I have an HTC 8XT. NY advise would e great. Or, if I need to take it to a Sprint service center, that's fine, too.
I am running into the same MMS issue - I spoke with Spint Tech Support and the issue seems to be tied to getting MMS while on 4G coverage (i.e. on "LTE") We went to Settings >> cellular+SIM >>SIM Settings and Selected "CDMA" in the "Mode Selection" drop dwon (i.e. NOT "LTE & CDMA) - this puts the phone in 3G only mode at which point when I client on the "Get Media Content" link in my texts, the MMS downloads. So..... that is the "workaround" and stating the obvious, is not optimal. The Sprint tech advised he would raise this item to his development team as he felt the core "fix" would need to come from HTC as an upgrade/fix to be downloaded. He could not offer any ETA as to when that would occur.
SPRINT TEAM - if there are any OTHER (better) fixes for this issue, I am sure all would love to hear it. My guess is most folks don't want to be troubled with this workaround every time an MMS comes in - not to mention, not being able to consistently stay in 4G/LTE mode. THANKS in advance for any info you can offer us! Other than this, the new Upgrade to Win 8.1 is GREAT!!!
Yes, there is an open ticket with Sprint & HTC regarding this issue...we're all having it unfortunately.
There is a full thread about it here.
I was on the phone with Sprint Network support generating MMS messages from a neighbor to reproduce so they could trace the issue. According to the tech I spoke with, it is a confirmed bug with the 8XT and a fix will be needed from HTC.
(I find it funny that for 18 mos. on WP 8.0 & 8.1, that MMS worked perfectly, then before the 8.1 upgrade it stopped working for all of us at once? Smells to me like Sprint made a network configuration change that impacted our phones specifically, and now HTC has to adjust their software to fix it...but whatever...its almost been a month...time for a fix Sprint...)
Umm...NO! This issue started BEFORE the 8.1 OS Upgrade. Sorry, but it is not related to 8.1, it happened on my wife's 8.0 8XT a full week before her phone got the 8.1 upgrade.
Great to hear it is known/in the works. In fairness, I've used nothing but windows phones since their very 1st one and had this issue on and off had this same issue on previous versions - even on Win8 though it 'magically' appeared to fix itself on Win8 - no definitive patch or upgrade process that I recall, it just started working on its own. Looking forward to the same soon! 🙂