cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Phone 8

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Windows Phone 8

Unlike a lot of you, my wife and I are still hanging by a thread with our 3+ year old HTC Touch Pros. We needed phones six months ago. We held out hoping that Sprint would get their heads out and come to the party with **EVERY** other carrier and join the WP8 launch. Just like they sold the company to be the **LAST** carrier to get the aging iThing, it is obvious that they are planning to come to the WP8 party late. If ever. After 12 years, this is not the kind of company that we want to be associated with any longer. They can continue to pat themselves on the back for getting the iThing, while **EVERY** other carrier is moving on! Microsoft has deep pockets. They WILL make the WP a success. It currently is the most innovative platform.

Meanwhile, their entire marketing push is for "unlimited data." Well, unlimited data is useless if you have crap phones!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I looked at my data usage and the 3 or 5 gig plans from the other carrier’s way over cover it, meaning unlimited data isn’t compelling anymore. I priced AT$T and Verizon, AT$T was $30 more per month for same services I have at Sprint and Verizon, where I have all my other FIOS services was the same as Sprint!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow, it looks like like there are a great many disappointed and angry Sprint customers; unfortunately I number among them.  My family has two lines with Sprint and have been customers for 12 years.  I have always been satisfied with the carrier, but I also love the windows phone 7.5 metro ui os on my HTC Arrive.  I preordered the Arrive and am considering switching to another carrier when my contract expires on the new year.  I will be pricing out plans and phones this holiday season.  If Sprint miraculously has a change of heart and carries a top of the line WP8 (not a low to mid range device) then I will be more than happy to sign another two year contract and fork over some cash for the device.  If not, then i will likely be leaving Sprint, and my wife will folllow with her line when her contract expires a few months later.  It looks as though, from the number of agry posts and threads on the subject, that Sprint will be losing more than a few customers.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Contract has been up since May (Evo 4g) and I have already dumped one line to Verizon, just waiting to see who gets the Nokia 920 then I'm pulling the trigger. I too have also checked out att data plans and the 3gig plan would more than cover my per month and I would be at the same cost per month... And are you ready... I would actually have 4g service and not just get charge for two years for something I can never use. I have no problem with the iphone solid product, wife has used them since first one and is doing preorder for 5, it’s just not my cup of tea. I have used windows mobile since the T-mobile MDA and loved it, but I think that MS really dropped the ball with 6.1 & 6.5 because it went downhill fast; I bought the touch pro2 strait up, no discounts and sold it 3 months later on ebay because it was so bad. I'm not really sure who to blamed MS or HTC. But I will tell you HTC phones seem to take a dump after a minute and lots of reboots or factory resets are in order. Back in the day I only used Nokia phones because they were solid last one was 3650 which was just a solid phone, but then they fell off and was not a option anymore.. I am really looking forward to getting back to them and seeing what they have been up too and how it works with the new windows 8. I think both companies being the underdog are really throwing everything they got in the game and that's what’s going to make this phone and OS really kick some shiz.. Even if Sprint did get the 920 which for the record I don't think they will.. I'm not sure I would even get it with Sprint anyway... Think about it... Why would you want the latest and one of the best phones out there and be unable to use one of the key features (4g)... I live in metro Atlanta and can hardly ever touch 4g. I can't complain about the phone service with Sprint but I can complain about everything else.... Until then

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yea when it’s on the line you drop the conservatism, where I think Apple is now with iPhone. They don’t want to mess up their best product that generates more revenue than all of Microsoft combined today, can you blame them?

Worked at MS and we were on PDAs starting somewhere around 90? Really bad miss by Microsoft not seeing this coming, just like the internet and having to catch up. The amazing thing is Bill talked about convergence for years.

I see people mostly paying attention to hardware specs, even though WM7.5 is more fluid on a 1 gig processor than other phone OSes on quad cores. Software really makes the device go round and I think Microsoft has not just caught up but passed. Make sure too to look at the features and functions of Nokia’s software, mind blowing and innovative, going to be fun.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've been held hostage by the fact that Sprint refuses to acknowledge windows phone as well. I broke my arrive last December and couldn't come to spend $200+ on a used arrive which is basically 3 year old technology. With the rumors of a Nokia phone at the time, I held out hope but was disappointed. I'm now using my old Palm to bridge the gap until next month.

I'm buying out of my contract as soon as the first windows 8 phone drops. Whoever brings it first gets my 2 lines (and growing).

P.S. Mr Sprint CEO; you may want to inform your sales folks that windows phone wasn't killed. I walked into a store and was informed by the person working there that windows phone was discontinued and would not be supported by sprint anymore. This was 2 days after the Lumia 900 was announced.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Everyone can relax now.

I, like so many others, have issued threats to Sprint on here and in other forums.  Looking back, those threats were somewhat empty.  After all, where could I go with a flat-rate data plan for the price I was paying Sprint?

However, we're not trapped anymore.  I advise everyone to take a look at T-Mobile's new plans.  Starting September 5 (three weeks ago), they brought back their flat-rate plan, and not only is it very reasonably priced (I will save $30 a month when I drop my Sprint family plan), but they will also offer some quality Windows 8 phones!

The phones they are advertising should come early to late November.  They are the HTC Windows 8X line, and they are fairly comparable to the Nokia 920.  The only thing I don't like about the HTC models is that the Nokia has 32GB while the HTC has 16GB.  Otherwise, they're extremely close in terms of being a high level Windows phone.

So there will be no more threats from me.  I'm simply out in November, and man, I am so tickled.  This Windows developer will finally have a phone of my own on which to run and test my apps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Completely agree, if they haven’t concerned themselves with the loss of very long time customers, of which there have been many on this forum, then it’s over. There has been no real significant new news about Sprint and WM8, they are holding the current position with WM8 launch around the corner, too late now.

I looked at my data usage and even with tiered data plans from competitors I’m well covered at the same price as Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I cannot wait until Windows Phone 8 is delivered.  If Sprint (in their 'wisdom') decides not to offer a WP8 phone by end of year, they will lose this 7 year + customer.

I love the unlimited data plan Sprint offers, but what good is it when their 4G is IFFY at best (I've yet to retain a 4G signal for more than a minute or two) and their 3G is spotty as well.  I am most interested in T-Mobile, I used them years ago when they were still VoiceStream and am willing to give them another try to get my hands on WP8.

I was excited when Nokia announced their Lumia 920, but it's really a big, thick, heavy phone.  The HTC models seem to be designed with portability in mind.  Although they have less internal RAM, they do offer microSD card expansion, where Nokia decided to leave that out in favor of wireless charging (which IS pretty cool, but not a deal maker).

One thing that concerns me is tethering...I live by using my data connection on my laptop, losing tethering would be disastrous.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have been loyal to Sprint for a long time (1998 or 99). Accepted the service coverage because I believe I get what I pay for and I get the lowest rate for 6 phones with Sprint; and get corresponding coverage area.  On the flip side their customer service is very good.  Up until now I’ve refused to pay a premium to go with Verizon to be abused by their customer service.

It has been annoying that I been paying $10 a month for what was originally described as a 4g service fee.

I found this September 19 2012 article.  CEO Dan Hesse is making it clear that while Sprint might have "a very strong relationship" with Microsoft Sprint see little or no value in retaining their relationship with customers wanting Windows Phones.

I am looking forward to a new Windows Phone 8 and as already stated in this blog, by leaving Sprint I will finally get 4G LTE speeds which will be worth any additional monthly fee.

http://www.phonedog.com/2012/09/19/sprint-lte-device-sales-have-hit-one-million-mark-says-ceo-dan-he...

Sprint LTE device sales have hit one million mark, says CEO Dan Hesse

Alex Wagner - Sep 19 11:30 PM

Sprint's 4G LTE network may only be around four months old, but the carrier has been adding LTE-capable devices to its lineup since late April, and it appears that Sprint's customers have been happy to buy them. Dan Hesse, CEO of Sprint, revealed today at the Goldman Sachs Communicopia Conference that his company has sold one million LTE devices to date. Hesse didn't drop sales figures for each of Sprint's products, but Fierce Wireless points out that he did say that the Samsung Galaxy S III and HTC EVO 4G LTE have made up much of the LTE phone sales.

Hesse also touched a bit on Windows Phone during his talk. While the executive said that he likes to see markets with three competitors that are doing well, he added that only "time will tell" whether or not Microsoft's mobile platform will be successful.

To date, Sprint has only released one Windows Phone (the HTC Arrive). It's unclear when we might see a Windows Phone 8 device make its way to the Now Network, as Sprint has declined to offer any details on its Windows Phone 8 plans, saying only that it has "a very strong relationship" with Microsoft. As for Sprint's LTE sales, the carrier has managed to add some high-profile LTE-capable handsets to its lineup, like the Galaxy S III and the iPhone 5. Considering both that and the fact that those LTE devices also function fine on 3G in areas where Sprint has yet to activate its LTE network, and it's not terribly surprising to see Sprint sell one million LTE products in less than six months. How many of you own some Sprint LTE-enabled hardware?

Via Fierce Wireless, Sprint

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, Sprint has never had ay special relationship with Microsoft that is anything to brag about. They offered 1 or 2 Windows Mobile 6.5 phones and 1 mid-range WP7 device. That is it. I would think it not outrageous to assume that their relationship is so good that they will be the ONLY major carrier not to offer Windows phones. Let's see who will be offering WP8 devices in their line up:

Verizon (#1 carrier) - YES

AT&T (#2) - YES

Sprint (#3) - NO

T-Mobile (#4) - YES

Us Cellular (#5) - has said previous they will support WP8, so will most likely offer at least 1 device

Three of the top phone makers (Nokia, HTC, Samsung) will be making quite a few WP8 devices. Microsoft is "all in" with the new Windows 8 ecosystems and this includes WP8. Never before has MS been so adament about their product lineup. They are even going to make their own tablet (Microsoft Surface). That is how dedicated MS is. Yet, Sprint thinks they can sit by and not jump in. I don't understand the logic. Sprint offers the same phones as the other major carriers and has a weak LTE footprint.

Where is Sprint's competative advantage? Let's look at the advantages and disadvantages:

Advantages:

Cheaper plans

Unlimited data

The Evo LTE is slightly better than the HTC One X

Disadvantages:

Same phones as everyone else

Small phone selection

Small LTE footprint

Crappy 3G speeds

Only major carrier not offering the WP8

I am sure we could all point to other examples, but the best thing Sprint has going for them based on subscriber gains is their pre-paid services (Boost and Virgin). Without them, Sprint is struggling. I can see no justifiable reason to allow a few tens or hundreds of thousands of cutomers to leave for a WP8 device. If I was in an advising role, I would suggest Sprint offer at least 1 flagship WP8 device. You must advertise that device, though just a little, knowing full well that Microsoft cannot afford to let any part of their Windows 8 ecosystem fail. Now, if WP8 devices become a flop, then Sprint does not lose much skin in the game, but if WP8 device become the next best thing, they will be late to the game and will be playing catch up. That would yet another hurdle for Sprint to overcome in the game of carrier survival and viability.

IMO, Sprint could leverage the good relationship they actually do have with HTC to create an Evo-like line for WP8 if they wanted to. I won't say they need to out the gate, but they need to offer something if only to keep many of us from leaving and signing on somewhere else on a two year contract. Good luck leveraging loaylt or enticing a return to Sprint should that occur. There are many of analysts that have written they believe WP8 will quickly overtake the Blackberry as the third most popular OS. Why nnot at least have a seat at the table. There is no advantage being the only one not in attendance.

Highlighted
Journeyman

review this link http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/479092 and let dan@sprint.com know you want WP8 phone

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat