Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want a q or 700wx

Journeyman

want a q or 700wx

im wanting to get a q or some other type handheld pda. the only thing i have had thats close is a sidekick 2 which i loved. i dont know the first thing about them tho, can anyone help me choose which one to get? i like having a camera, send about 600 sms a month, love getting on the web. ebay, myspace, etc. i send and recieve a few picmail a month. i would prob send email too if i had the qwerty keyboard. i dont want to have to change my plan. we have a fam plan with 1400 min. unlim text for all lines for 20 a month. i would be adding a line, but want something that can just use the power vision. thanks for your help in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
Journeyman

Hey there. I have some recommendations for you. I would recommend either the Treo WX or the PPC6700. The Q is nice and all but I am a HUGE fan of having a touch screen. It makes life quite a bit easier. Plus, if you don't already have Outlook on your computer, the two I recommend have a copy included where as the Q does not. I personally carry the Pocket PC 6700 because of its customizable interface and build-in Wi-Fi capability. The Pocket PC 6800 should be coming out around May last I heard. You should be able to get a good deal on the 6700 right now since we're anticipating the launch of its successor before too long.

Wes

Journeyman

the guy at the sprint store said too many 6700's come back and he cant wait to get rid of it. do any of them have yahoo or msn messenger?

Journeyman

Well I don't have any trending information as far as how problematic a device is. Honestly, as a Sprint rep, I rarely get a call where the customer isn't having troubles, hence the reason for the call. The vast majority of PDA type phones owned by employees are PPC 6700's. If you do decide to go with that device there is plenty of help available for it through Sprint as well as enthusiast's sites.

The Windows mobile devices all have access to pocket MSN and MSN messenger. As far as yahoo messenger, I think you'd have to download an application for that. Handango or handmark.com have a full messaging application that allows access to AIM/ICQ/MSN/YAHOO/and Google talk. I think the program is $39.99 but you only have to buy it once.

Wes

Journeyman

just to let ya know i got a q on monday. i like it so far. wish the battery would last longer and wish it would let me know when the battery is full.

Journeyman

I support just about every type of messaging phone from BB, to smartphones like the Q and blackjack to Palm phones like the Treo 650 and 700p and WM5 phones like the 700w and the 6700. I think what you should do is actually go to the store and seriously spend a good 10 minutes just playing with each phone you are considering. Do you mind carrying something bulky like the Treo or the 6700? If not, they have far more power and functionality. If you need something slim, you might want to go with the Q. The Q does not have a touch screen which limits some web interaction and general functionality. There are manufacturers who make slim full function touch screenWM6 pda phones withhigher resolution but Sprint doesn't currently deal with those units - I would hope that changes as browsing theweb at anything below 640x480 is not pleasant.Frankly 640x480 makes browsing the web, checking e-mail, reviewing documents all much better so this is an important item Sprint needs to change.
The 6700 has a better keyboard for people like me with clumsy fingers and has a larger screen for more viewing capacity. The treo has a keyboard on the front so you don't have to slide out the keyboard and for some particularly dextrous people, they can do a great deal of typing with just one hand. Most people think the 6700 is significantly bigger than the Treo due to its svelt brick like lines but they aren't much different in size.
If you can wait, you should see some new PDA phones coming out from Sprint by Summer. The new ones should include WM6 which allows for HTML formatted e-mails for better reading. It has some other features as well but I would say that his the biggest upgrade. In addition the new phones will have a little more memory for storing documents, e-mail and software. You can add storage by buying standard ST, Mini or Micro SD depending on the phone you get but this sometimes causes the screen to remain dark when you power up your device (known as the DSOD - Dark Screen of Death) so ideally you want more memory already integrated into your phone.
If you go with a WM phone - things you want to install - SPB Pocket plus - let's you change your today screen to make it display what you want at a glance and to make accessing programs easier as well as a much better battery indicator. Voice Command is a MUST - being able to touch a button on your phone or BT headset and call a person is safer if you are driving as well as much more convenient - it has many other commands but that alone makes it essential. You can install a flash player and adobe reader for free. You can install Live Search for free which included a pretty nifty GPS mapping program, directions, attractions etc. Live Search is also free - a web page - good for many things including stocks and sports (it is still beta but good). I have the 6700 so I got vjcadella which is a great little utility that lets me use the flash for my phones camera as a flashlight. Since the flash is LED the extra battery drain is minimal and it is fantastic to always have a decent flashlight with me at all times.
You can use MSN messenger on any WM phone and the new one includes nearly all the bells and whistles of Live messenger for your PC.
No matter what, get a spare charger as you will want to charge your phone at least once a day. BT 2.1 has just been ratified which reduces battery drain but it will be a while before we see BT 2.1 units in any phones. Lithium Polymer batteries can improve your battery life by about 20% but currently no Sprint phones have those. With luck you might be able to buy one from a third party down the road that works for your phone but then you are paying another $50 for something that ideally would already come with your phone.
As for the camera - you'll find that just about any phone camera is for limited functionality. It doesn't matter if the unit is 2 megapixal, the small lens etc is not going to compete with a $100 camera for picture quality.

Message Edited by boe on 03-10-200711:29 PM

Journeyman

I prefer the 6700 to all the other PDAs.

People return the 6700 because they don't know how to use it. The phone has some known issues but most have been fixed through a software update.

The Q is sexy tho.

Journeyman

Remember the PPC 6700 isn't for everyone. The Size is probanly what turns people off unless it's a phone intended for business instead of fashion. The PPC 6700 requires mostly two hands to fully use the phone compared to the Q and the Treo where you could use one hand. Then the Treo and the Q is especially a big plus for multitasking drivers....everyone is different with his/her needs. The PPC 6700 has a bigger screen than the Treo and the Q which is another plus. If you want a more PDA oriented then the PPC 6700 is for you. If you want more oriented geared toward a phone then the Q or Treo is for you. I know people are going to argue the Q is more a smartphone than a PDA. Remember about Windows you don't have the support of the digital lounge from Sprint on the Windows Mobile phones meaning you won't have calltones unless youswap phones that hasthe support and can be able to go on thevisionhompage plus you lose picturemail. (I know there is a way to get around that but alot of basic phone users don't knowit) Choose wisely. The Qhowever cannot edit word and excel files while the Treo and the PPC can.It's your choice, your phone! If you don't like it you have 30 days to return or exchange for another phone of your choosing!

Journeyman

Q can't edit the documents natively but it using Ptab or Word Pad you can author and create documents.
Documents to Go http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/Get a phone that has e-mail capabilities not a PDA that has phone capabilities.
MotoGenius

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat