cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Launches Support for Wireless Emergency Alerts, also Known as CMAS.

Re: Sprint Launches Support for Wireless Emergency Alerts, also Known as CMAS.

Good morning,

I apologize for the inconvenience with these alerts.  I did research your issue and as of now, only select devices can disable the emergency alerts and the samsung nexus is currently not one of the devices that have the disable function.  I am however, going to escalate this issue  to verify is there is a work around.

Monica

Highlighted
Journeyman

These have to be CMAS messages. Yesterday, during the day, the weather was calm in our area. I received no messages. Last night storms came through the area and I started receiving the messages around 12:00-12:15 pm (when the Severe Alerts started up) and received them all the way up til about 2:20am. I received 36 of these messages within a two hour period. I know that the Nexus S is not CAMS capable, that is why we are getting the jumbled text messages. Sprint , or whomever sends these messages, is trying to send the message to our phones and our phones cannot support the characters from these messages, so we get jumble. Can you help, or can you route me to someone that can help? Below are more screenshots (one of the storm as it was coming in, another of the text messages coming in at that time.) Please help.

Screenshot_2012-07-20-00-46-11.png

Screenshot_2012-07-20-00-46-42.png

Journeyman

I think these are indeed CMAS messages. They started on my wife's Nexus S at the time CMAS started on Sprint. We hadn't received very many in the past few weeks, but yesterday when severe weather came through we received nearly 100 of them in a few hours. They are extremely annoying. There must be some way to disable this. There are quite a few posts over in the Nexus S forum from people with the same issue.

Journeyman

Brad,

I have the Nexus S, When the CMAS messages come across, they are nothing but jumbled symbols. I have not figured out how to remove this from my phone. I received 14 messages today, all jumbled. I thought it was spam text, but I went to the local Sprint store and they told me that it is the CMAS. I have searched the web and the only ways to disable it is to call ##2627# or run QPST. I do not know how to use QPST, and when I call the number, it says, "The number you have dialed is not valid." The CMAS setting are not in the messaging settings on the Nexus S, as they are with most of the other phones that I have seen on the internet. Please help, as I do not like my phone going off 14 times a day with nothing but jumble. Please help!

Screenshot_2012-07-10-15-09-19.png

Journeyman

How do I get rid of these annoying weather alerts???...

I have a Samsung Galaxy S II

Model SPH-D710

Droid 2.3.6

Baseband SSmiley Very Happy710.10 S.EL29

Kernel 2.6.35.7-SPH-D710.EL29-CL852097

Build GINGERBREAD.EL29

Hardware D710.10

Thanks

Journeyman

All Sprint branded devices released in 2012, with the exception of the Samsung Nexus are WEA capable.  You can find whether a particular device is supported by looking at that device's key features on Sprint.com.

Master

Thank you.  I have forwarded this information to our Sprint.com admins to have the blog updated. 

Tom

Journeyman

The HTC EVO 4G LTE can be added to this list.

Journeyman

LastLink wrote:

Brad_G wrote:

The Motorola Photon is not a CMAS supported device.

Is there a webpage with a current list of all supported Sprint CMAS devices?

The FAQ lists all capable phones or you can check this thread:

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/services/messaging/wireless_emergency_al...

Here is the list:

What Sprint phones are WEA capable?

Sanyo Inuendo

Sanyo Vero

Sanyo Milano

HTC EVO 3D

Samsung Galaxy SII 4G Touch

LG Marque

Kyocera DuraMax

Kyocera Duracore

Kyocera Brio

Samsung Trender

HTC EVO Design 4G

Samsung Transform Ultra.

Journeyman

Brad_G wrote:

The Motorola Photon is not a CMAS supported device.

Is there a webpage with a current list of all supported Sprint CMAS devices?