cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost Unlimted $50.00 Flat Price Including PTT

Journeyman

Boost Unlimted $50.00 Flat Price Including PTT

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -Boost Mobile is wading into the fight for budget-minded cellular customers as it announced Thursday a $50 unlimited voice and data plan that doesn't require an annual contract and isn't tied to a home calling area.
The Irvine, Calif.-based subsidiary of Sprint Nextel Corp. said the $50 flat price includes unlimited voice, texting, Web access and press-to-talk services, as well as all taxes and other fees.
Main competitors MetroPCS Communications Inc. and Leap Wireless International Inc.'s Cricket brand offer similar plans for between $45 and $50, although taxes and fees are extra. Those plans are also limited to a few hundred cities that fall within the companies' cellular networks while Boost is piggybacking on Sprint's nationwide Nextel-branded network.
Boost also provides press-to-talk services, which are not available with Leap and cost $5 extra for MetroPCS.
"It's very competitive on value but, more importantly, it's not nickel and diming the customer," said Neil Lindsay, vice president of marketing for Boost Mobile.
Boost currently offers a $70 unlimited plan in parts of the South, but it operates on a different network and the company plans to stop marketing it to new customers, Lindsay said.
The company had 3.9 million customers at the end of the third quarter, compared with MetroPCS' 4.8 million and Leap's 3.5 million.
The three companies compete in the so-called "prepaid" market, where customers buy a phone and pay for service on a month-to-month basis. As opposed to postpaid customers, who sign annual contracts and pay a monthly bill, prepaid services are geared toward younger customers and people who may lack the credit worthiness to get a calling plan with major national carriers such as Sprint, T-Mobile, Verizon Wireless or AT&T Inc.
But Matt Carter, Boost's president, acknowledged that the unlimited offer could appeal to postpaid subscribers who want to save money and don't mind the small range of handsets or want premium services such as streaming video or music downloads.
"We believe the offer we have in these challenging economic times will make people take a harder look at Boost ... and we believe that will open up us to a much broader piece of the population," Carter said.
David Chamberlain, principal analyst for Scottsdale, Ariz.-based research firm In-Stat, said that while he didn't expect many postpaid customers to break their annual contracts to sign up with Boost, he said it could prove tempting to new customers.
"I think the general decline in the economy is going to have people looking for the opportunity to economize somewhere, somehow," Chamberlain said. "An all-in plan for $50? You don't need good credit to get that, so that could be pretty attractive."
He also said the Boost plan may be a "Hail Mary" play by Overland Park, Kan.-based Sprint to attract new customers after losing almost 4 million last year.
"My biggest concern would be where are they going to get the capacity (for a large number of new Boost customers) or have they lost so many customers that the capacity is there," he said.
Sprint spokesman James Fisher said the parent company doesn't believe Boost will cannibalize customers, instead viewing it as a way to hold onto customers who don't meet Sprint's tighter credit requirements for postpaid plans.
"We're really focusing this on two different markets," he said. "We're offering excellent value and opportunity for people who are appropriate for postpaid and appropriate for prepaid. In this economic environment, (prepaid) is an important customer base."
Copyright 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

20 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Boost Unlimted $50.00 Flat Price Including PTT

quote from originally-posted article: "...while Boost is piggybacking on Sprint's nationwide Nextel-branded network."

If this new Boost plan is actuallyon the iDEN network and they get a good response to this plan, it could once again saturate capacity on the iDEN network, which will further alienate the legacy Nextel subscriber base (you know, the die-hard Nextel customers who are paying all of the bills and the ones that made Nextel profitable). The primary reason that iDEN is "now operating at best-ever levels" (Sprint's oft-repeatedpress release quote) is because so many legacy Nextel subscribers left, it reduced the load on iDEN. If they re-load iDEN to capacity with Boost customers clogging the airwaves with mindless chatter,Nextel will bein trouble again.

So does anyone know for certain if this new unlimited Boost plan is actually on the iDEN network, or is it on the CDMA network and they are just using the Qchat moniker "Nextel Direct Connect" to describe the PTT side of it? Hope someone who knows for certain can verify/deny if the new plan is CDMA side or iDEN side.

Thanks,

Nxtl4me

Journeyman

I can confirm 100% its on the iDen Network. They are discontinuing all the CDMA Boost Mobile handsets. We already received Price lists on the iDen handsets from Boost.

Yup, I can also confirm that this Boost Unlimited $50 is based on iDEN-ONLY! Seems that Nextel's 2.5G iDEN network is so efficient that it can allow customers to use EVERYTHING for only $50/month. Hmmm...think about it, folks. If you have an i880 and put it over to Boost Mobile, then you could get everything that is offered, and pay only $50 instead of the complete rip off of $99.99/month.

But as Nxtl4me said, this is going to ruin what is left of Nextel as we know it. In Sprint's now obviously infinite STUPIDITY, they think that competing against MetroPCS and Cricket is a good idea. That would be fine, except Sprint isn't putting apples to apples here. They're instead putting up oranges to everyone else's apples. And I think I know why. If Boost Unlimited fails, then Sprint can claim that the iDEN network simply can't compete in this day and age, and it can shut down the network (despite confirmations in the past that the network will remain up and running until at least 2012). On the other hand, if it works...the iDEN network will collapse under the success of this plan. At which point, again, Sprint can claim that iDEN is not worth investing in since the ARPU for iDEN will have dropped that much lower (current, iDEN averages $66 in ARPU).

So, here's an idea. If Sprint wants to prove that it is better than AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and MetroPCS, then I want to see Sprint do the following:

1. Make a stand with handset providers and guarantee that all future CDMA handsets will come equipped with Q-chat PTT.

2. Take this unlimited $50 Boost over iDEN-only and make the exact SAME offer for CDMA users.

3. EXPAND coverage AND capacity on iDEN.

4. Expand EVDO rev A coverage.

Until it does the above, Sprint will at best be the "also ran". And odds are, it will go bankrupt by the end of this year.

Message Edited by quasijedi on 01-16-2009 07:58 PM

Journeyman

quasijedi wrote:

Yup, I can also confirm that this Boost Unlimited $50 is based on iDEN-ONLY! Seems that Nextel's 2.5G iDEN network is so efficient that it can allow customers to use EVERYTHING for only $50/month. Hmmm...think about it, folks. If you have an i880 and put it over to Boost Mobile, then you could get everything that is offered, and pay only $50 instead of the complete rip off of $99.99/month.

But as Nxtl4me said, this is going to ruin what is left of Nextel as we know it. In Sprint's now obviously infinite STUPIDITY, they think that competing against MetroPCS and Cricket is a good idea. That would be fine, except Sprint isn't putting apples to apples here. They're instead putting up oranges to everyone else's apples. And I think I know why. If Boost Unlimited fails, then Sprint can claim that the iDEN network simply can't compete in this day and age, and it can shut down the network (despite confirmations in the past that the network will remain up and running until at least 2012). On the other hand, if it works...the iDEN network will collapse under the success of this plan. At which point, again, Sprint can claim that iDEN is not worth investing in since the ARPU for iDEN will have dropped that much lower (current, iDEN averages $66 in ARPU).

So, here's an idea. If Sprint wants to prove that it is better than AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile and MetroPCS, then I want to see Sprint do the following:

1. Make a stand with handset providers and guarantee that all future CDMA handsets will come equipped with Q-chat PTT.

2. Take this unlimited $50 Boost over iDEN-only and make the exact SAME offer for CDMA users.

3. EXPAND coverage AND capacity on iDEN.

4. Expand EVDO rev A coverage.

Until it does the above, Sprint will at best be the "also ran". And odds are, it will go bankrupt by the end of this year.

Message Edited by quasijedi on 01-16-2009 07:58 PM

Hey there, Dejan, ya have a point there. And i was thinking, what if they (Sprint/Nextel) were to limit the Boost users to a local only stetup, as in they would only be able to use the PTT in their local (home) area? would that mabey solve some of the potential capcity problems, or am i missing something here? It would seem to me if they limited Boost users to just using PTT in thier home areas, it would kinda fix this. Thoughts? N9NRA

Journeyman

I dont think Sprint has any concerns over capacity for iden at this time in most areas. Also I bet Sprint rolls out some nice discounted plans for existing iden business sunscribers which could equal or undercut the boost plan.

Andy:

Sadly, Sprint isn't limiting anything on Boost. Some speculated that they were going to limit the calling to a local area, but it isn't. It's nationwide. Maybe Sprint will limit the PTT area? Nope, that's nationwide too. Perhaps Sprint will only allow PTT, voice calls, and texting, but won't allow data? Nope...that's also included.

Sprint - a textbook method on how to destroy not only a lousy company (i.e., Sprint), but a great one as well (i.e., Nextel).

Sprint. Dumb.|

bonemachine wrote:
I dont think Sprint has any concerns over capacity for iden at this time in most areas. Also I bet Sprint rolls out some nice discounted plans for existing iden business sunscribers which could equal or undercut the boost plan.

bonemachine:

I wouldn't bet on that, if I were you. Name for me ONE instance where Sprint did Nextel iDEN subs any favors?!?

Journeyman

quasijedi wrote:

Andy:

Sadly, Sprint isn't limiting anything on Boost. Some speculated that they were going to limit the calling to a local area, but it isn't. It's nationwide. Maybe Sprint will limit the PTT area? Nope, that's nationwide too. Perhaps Sprint will only allow PTT, voice calls, and texting, but won't allow data? Nope...that's also included.

Sprint - a textbook method on how to destroy not only a lousy company (i.e., Sprint), but a great one as well (i.e., Nextel).

Sprint. Dumb.|

And you`re right there sadly. That`s one of the things they used to do with prepaids...ya could only make/recieve calls on the home network for whatever provider ya had, i know as i had one from what was Cellullar One for a while when i first got me a cellphone. Basically how it worked is you couldn`t roam onto other networks, ostensibly toprevent overloading other nets with the CellOne prepaid users. IMHO that worked well. Dejan, i`ll pm ya shortly on this too. N9NRA

Journeyman

hey Dejan, see the pm i just sent ya for more of my thoughts on this thing. N9NRA