cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I access the Internet using WIFI withOUT a Data Plan?

SOLVED
Journeyman

Can I access the Internet using WIFI withOUT a Data Plan?

I have a somewhat basic service plan, i.e calls and text.

I want to use the email, the internet (facebook, google maps, google search, etc).

I am a college student, and do not want to pay for a data plan (3G/4G type things).

My Campus has WIFI, with the right phone, could I access the internet with Wifi for no additional cost?

Thank you in advance.

3 REPLIES

Re: Can I access the Internet using WIFI withOUT a Data Plan?

As long as you choose a phone that has WiFi and does not require a data plan in the billing system then yes, but those are few and far between.

So you wouldn't be able to get the Blackberry Curve 8530, the Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Samsung Moment or Samsung Instinct HD. The Windows Mobile phones require data plans for at least the first month for the mail-in rebate, other than that however the data plans can be removed.

The HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Treo Pro and Samsung Intrepid are the only three phones we currently offer that I can think of that might work. All of them are Windows Mobile devices.

Journeyman

Firstly, thank you. I am happy and impressed that a Sprint employee was able to give me a thoughtful, thorough and reliable answer.

I would like some clarification, however:

halcyoncmdr wrote:

So you wouldn't be able to get the Blackberry Curve 8530, the Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Samsung Moment or Samsung Instinct HD. The Windows Mobile phones require data plans for at least the first month for the mail-in rebate, other than that however the data plans can be removed.

Is the reason that these phones do not match my criteria because they have unremovable data plans?

The HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Treo Pro and Samsung Intrepid are the only three phones we currently offer that I can think of that might work. All of them are Windows Mobile devices.

Will these work because the data plan can be removed after one month?

Additionally, should I purchase one second hand, can I "bypass" the one month data plan requirement? If I buy a used phone, does this include more phones which can be used for Wifi without a data plan

Thank you.

Message was edited by: curious12

The initial phones I listed require plans that include data in them. It will not let us add those phones to plans that do not include data like the Everything Data or Simply Everything plans.

As for the other phones, unless you are waiting for a mail-in rebate those phones can be added without a data plan. The data plan is only required for the mail-in rebate. So if you are buying it second hand or getting one from a friend you would not have to add a data plan.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.