cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint's Unlimited Data Smartphone Plan Expected to End Soon.......

Journeyman

Somehow I feel totaly RIPPED OFF purchasing a $500+ 4G device and paying an extra $10 dollars a month premium to use a 4G network that never rolled out completely here in Detroit and the surrounding surburbs.... I expected the below news to come to light one day this company seems to have a ton of tricks up the sleve can't wait to see what's next..........

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sprint's Unlimited Data Smartphone Plan Expected to End Soon

By Brennon Slattery, PCWorld    Nov 28, 2011 10:00 AM

Sprint's Unlimited Data Smartphone Plan Expected to End SoonSprint is the last U.S. wireless network that offers new customers unlimited data plans for their smartphones--a huge boon for data-hungry mobile users and recent adoptees of the iPhone. But as Sprint's network upgrades to LTE from 4G WiMax, analysts tell Reuters that the carrier's all-you-can-eat data buffet is about to end.

The reason Sprint may have to dump unlimited data plans is because the upgrade would strain the network even more than some iPhone users have already experienced. Sprint only allotted 10 MHz of its network spectrum for 4G LTE.

However, its main rivals, AT&T and Verizon--who no longer offer unlimited data plans to their new customers-- each gave 20 MHz. In order to expand the reach of its LTE network, Sprint would have to reassign other airwaves, meaning all those questions for Siri and streamed music would slow to a crawl.

Reuters also mentions that the purposed merger of AT&T and T-Mobile could have negative ramifications on Sprint's network, whether it is approved or not.

If approved, all U.S. networks would be dwarfed by AT&T's. If the merger is dead in the water (as itappears to be), T-Mobile stands to gain $4 billion as a "break-up fee"--a big chunk of money that would help revitalize the fourth-largest network.

Sprint has not commented on the possible death of its unlimited smartphone data plans, so it's uncertain whether the company will allow existing customers to be grandfathered into the package like AT&T and Verizon did.

Either way, this news should give pause to consumers planning on joining Sprint solely because of their unlimited data plans, as unlimited data, it seems, wasn't meant to last--for anyone.

20 REPLIES
Journeyman

I guess we'll see what happens.  If they do get rid of the unlimited data, I doubt anyone will be grandfathered in.  Did they grandfather anyone in when they put a cap on the mobile hotspot?  Did they let anyone out of contract?

Journeyman

they will let you out of a contract  from the overdrivepro unlimited plan  the problem i have with sprint is they feel like they can do what ever they want, when they want. if they  get rid of unlimited plans for smart phones they will loose alot of customers, i cancelled my internet with them and now im fighting the overage cost i incurred cause i felt they did me wrong. they said they  put a notice in everyones bill stating what was going to happen. How many people actually read  every page of their bill? the guy i spoke too basically said its my responsibility to read  my bill every month from front to back and that sprint has every right to do what they  want as far as cancelling or changing plans.

Journeyman

My guess is, just like when AT&T ended their unlimited data, people that already have it will be allowed to keep it. It's part of one of the standard phone plans, and they have a tendancy to allow people to keep them (I'm looking at you, people on the fair and flexible / free&clear /free incoming plan users).

Journeyman

They will not always let you out of contract for that.  Some people have said Sprint released them from contract and others said that they will not let them out of contract.  I think that is one of sprints major flaws.  They only thing consistent is inconsistency.

Wizard

If and when this happens, Sprint will cease to have ANY advantage over its rivals, unless the tiered pricing is that much more attractive. Data plans *are* part of the contract, so it will constitute a material breach if they do this without grandfathering in existing users. Unless Sprint is able to bring their network up to par with Verizon's, tiered data plans will not help them.

Journeyman

I think sprint will do this in a couple of years once the LTE network hets established.  They can still have advantage if the LTE is quick and has good coverage.  They can come in offering more gigs for slightly cheaper and be competitive.  I would think they would contract out their old 3G network to smaller carriers.

And why would they grandfather anyone in?  Did they grandfather the mobile hotspot users when they capped that?

Wizard

The crucial difference, with respect to mobile broadband devices, is that they are NOT under a 2-year contract. Hence, they can change the terms as they please and you have the choice to get out without paying a penalty. But not grandfathering phone customers under contract would constitute a material breach of the contract itself, in which case they are legally obligated to let you out of the contract. A company cannot legally hold customers captive while it does things that materially void the contract.

Journeyman

Or they might grandfather you in until your 2 year contract expires.  After that you are month to month unless you sign a new contract.  SO would it be against the law to stop your unlimited after your two year agreement expires?

People tried to fight the mobile hotspot capping which was a two year contract.  But there is I believe a stipulation in the contract stating sprint can basically change things as needed.  I will need to find the exact wording.  Give me some time.  I believe I have the contract in the car

Wizard

You're right. They can indeed grandfather only those who are in a contract period and only until the end of their contract obligations (or even only until they get a new device even on their old contract). That would be fine from a legal point of view. Basically, as long as I keep things the same and am under contract, they cannot change prices on me or change the plans on me.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.