cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Under AT&T terms of use you can not download or use app in 3g or 4g only on wifi

Wizard

Under AT&T terms of use you can not download or use app in 3g or 4g only on wifi

I was shock when I read this article over at msnbc.com about AT&T terms of use. Under the term of use you are only allowed to use data for "Data sessions may be conducted only for the following purposes: Internet browsing; (ii) email; and (iii) intranet access."

You can download apps, listen to radio stations, stream TV, watch movies, play games with third parties, share data, log into your home PC, do real-time GPS, get traffic and weather reports, and thousands of other things. But only, according to the contract, on WiFi.

While AT&T has not force this term of use (that I know of) who knows what could happen in the future. What are your thoughts about this?

You can read the entire article at http://redtape.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/15/8805266-why-fine-print-might-ground-your-high-flying-4...

6 REPLIES
Master

Interesting read  on what can be considered data use.

Sprint Product Ambassador

Wild TOS - glad that Sprint still offers unlimited use, unlimited content types on the handset data.  Skype, rtsp video, YouTube, flash, telnet, ssh, TOR, whatever you choose to do on the handset.

Master

Re: Under AT&T terms of use you can not download or use app in 3g or 4g only on wifi

People are already 'buzzing' about this on the forums today. Restricting WiFi is not that popular.

Wizard

Re: Under AT&T terms of use you can not download or use app in 3g or 4g only on wifi

Well from the look of thing these TOS are not that new they have been since at least March of 2011 http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/paying-for-a-data-plan-doesnt-mean-you-can-use-it-any-way-you-wan...

Master

March of 2011 is not that long ago really.  It could mean that they're getting everyone use to the idea first before . . .

BOOM! 

Highlighted
Wizard

Well that when that article was wrote but it could have been earlier. I thought they had just change it this month. Yet I am sure the Boom is coming soon. They were able to put data cap, limit the unlimited costumers by throttling, we can say this will be the new one coming.