cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is lack of signal strength an IPHONE issue or Tower issue?

Journeyman

Is lack of signal strength an IPHONE issue or Tower issue?

I'm having one helluva saga this month which involves 10 days without any cellular coverage in my geographic area.... a different story from a Sprint rep every time I call as to why I have no / poor coverage.....finding out that a Sprint representative gave me bad / deceptive information after I asked what it would take to terminate my contract on day 5 of a new phone contract. [On Friday, July 6, 2012, Sprint representative "Chris" told me I would have to pay an early termination fee of $350 since I was calling  3 days after my new phone contact even though the Sprint satisfaction guarantee policy on the website says new contracts have a window of 14 days to cancel.  http://www.sprint.com/landings/returns/].   I have kept a detailed log of my experience and conversations with all Sprint reps.

I upgraded to a new phone on July 2nd, 2012 and have had connectivity issues since day 1.  I have reported them starting on July 3.  It is now July 26 and I still only have 1 bar (and dropped calls) in my hometown, which is unacceptable.   I've been with Sprint for 2 years and before the "BIG" tri-state derecho storm on June 29, 2012, I had a DROID and I had full signal strength EVERYWHERE in the Delaware area.  I stopped by a 3rd party Sprint store yesterday and they said they've been inundated by folks from the Middletown/Townsend area of Delaware with connectivity issues.  They didn't specify if it was DROID or IPHONE or both.  [When I've talked with Sprint staff on the phone over the past month, they "hint" that the IPHONE antennae may not be as strong as the DROID.]  Yet yesterday the Sprint store pulled up their tower coverage on their online system which showed our area was definitely having some MAJOR issues.    I asked for a printout and the guy said "no-way" that was proprietary property. Right. Last night, I made my 10th call to Sprint asking for a tower status update and reported that I am still having connectivity issues in  my HOMETOWN.  They said they would open another ticket and I should hear back after 48 to 72 hours.  I'm tired of this game.   This is a hardship for small business owners such as myself.  If I want better signal strength, should I return my IPHONE and go back to DROID; or is this truly a tower issue that affects all users?  Any assistance is most appreciated. Thank you.

10 REPLIES
Wizard

Re: Is lack of signal strength an IPHONE issue or Tower issue?

Hopefulforimprovmt,

I apologize for the issues that you are having with your service. From what I understand, you switched phones and you are experiencing issues with coverage. I looked at the towers that service the area you have mentioned and found that there are no issues at this time with either if these towers. I do show that on 7/18/12 a ticket was closed for tower related issues. I also show that towers in that area are undergoing capacity upgrades and at this time, customers will experience latency with calls even dropped or blocked calls. One thing you can do is make sure your phone is up-to-date by pressing ##873233#  form your iPhone to initiate service updates. Also you can take the iPhone to your local Apple store and have them to look at the device as well since you are still having issues with the device after a technician looked at it.If that fails, then you will need to contact our tech support team or myself to have a network ticket submitted on your behalf. We will need to gather some additional information.

Markie_B

Journeyman

Markie_B, Thanks for the quick reply.  My questions & responses are in BOLD CAPS type below:

-----------------

I apologize for the issues that you are having with your service. From what I understand, you switched phones and you are experiencing issues with coverage. 

THAT IS CORRECT.

I looked at the towers that service the area you have mentioned and found that there are no issues at this time with either if these towers. I do show that on 7/18/12 a ticket was closed for tower related issues. I also show that towers in that area are undergoing capacity upgrades and at this time, customers will experience latency with calls even dropped or blocked calls.  

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME I AM HEARING THAT THIS IS A CAPACITY ISSUE AND THAT SPRINT IS ADDRESSING THIS.  AND I DO NOT SEE ANY TOWER UPGRADES IN THE FUTURE TO ADDRESS THIS ACCORDING TO THE SPRINT WEBSITE:  https://network.sprint.com/  PLEASE PROVIDE THE TARGETED COMPLETION DATE FOR THESE UPGRADES.

One thing you can do is make sure your phone is up-to-date by pressing ##873233# form your iPhone to initiate service updates.  Also you can take the iPhone to your local Apple store and have them to look at the device as well since you are still having issues with the device after a technician looked at it. 

ON JULY 14,  A SPRINT REP NAMED ANGELA OUT OF OKLAHOMA CITY CALL CENTER HAD ME DO THIS.  IT DID NOTHING TO SOLVE THE PROBLEM.  SHE ASKED ME TO TAKE PHONE BACK TO APPLE FOR A DIAGNOSTIC.  THIS WAS COMPLETED THIS PAST FRIDAY, JULY 21 WHEN WE RETURNED TO THE APPLE STORE.  APPLE EVEN REINSTALLED THE SOFTWARE ON THIS NEW PHONE JUST TO BE SAFE. 

If that fails, then you will need to contact our tech support team or myself to have a network ticket submitted on your behalf. We will need to gather some additional information.

MY ACCOUNT SHOULD REFLECT  NOTES FOR A NEW TICKET BASED ON MY CALL TO SPRINT LAST NIGHT.  I SPOKE WITH A SPRINT REP NAMED "GRANVILLE" AND A  SUPERVISER NAMED "MELANIE".   THEY TOLD ME A TICKET # IS NOT GENERATED UNTIL THE ENGINEERING TEAM ACTUALLY OPENS THE SUBMISSION ON THEIR END OF THE SYSTEM.  THEREFORE I DO NOT KNOW IF A TICKET EXISTS AT THIS TIME OR NOT.

THANKS

Journeyman

Markie_B,

Today, I  confirmed that experiencing dropped calls in my hometown is NOT an IPHONE issue.   My friend from a neighboring town is a Sprint customer and has a DROID.  I asked her to drive to my geographic area and test to see if she experiences low signal strength and dropped calls on her DROID.  Within 1 mile of my home, her call to me was DROPPED TWICE.  She only had 1 bar signal strength driving around in my town.  This confirms this is NOT AN IPHONE ISSUE.  Please advise if this is a TOWER ISSUE or a CAPACITY ISSUE?   Thank you.

Wizard

Hopefulforimprovmt,

Let me take a closer look. Can you provide me with either a business address nearest your location or the cross streets/intersection near you and include the city, state, and zip code so that I can drill down to your area. I am still not showing any outages, but I can report a potential issue and see if upgrades are playing a part in your coverage issues.

Markie_B

Journeyman

Thank you Markie_B.   Coordinates close to my home are

Corner of Pine Tree  Road and Rt. 71/Summit Bridge Road

Townsend, DE 19734

Wizard

Hopefulforimprovmt,

Thank you for the additional information. I have looked at the area provided and I am still not showing any outages for that area. I will be submitting a ticket for you on your behalf. Please send me a private message and include your mobile phone number as well as your contact information (alternate number and email address) so that I may include it in the ticket.

Markie_B

Journeyman

Thank you.  I just sent you a private message with this info.  Also, I have not received any follow-ups from Sprint in response to the ticket I called in last Wednesday.  Your pro-active assistance is most appreciated. 

Wizard

Hopefulforimprovmt,

I have received the requested information thank you. I will send you a private message with the ticket number for your reference.

Markie_B

Highlighted
Journeyman

Markie_B,

Thank you so much for your proactive assistance.  Because of you, I actually received a phone call from Sprint to address the ticket that YOU SUBMITTED.  Apparently all the previous tickets I have submitted via telephone since July 2 magically disappear since they could not find any records of past tickets.  Also, Because Sprint did not have my physical address, my ticket sat in a queue until Sprint had a chance to call me to get my physical address even though I've provided it multiple times.  This rep said that he would close out your ticket and reopen a new one with this info.  He also confirmed that there were tower outages in my town and that repairs had been attempted over the past month.  That being said, My issue is still "open"  and I will be sending an email of my saga to Sprint CEO's email at dan@sprint.com to see if Senior Mgmt can address some of the service issues.

Journeyman

The same problems go way back.  It's all over.  Not just one area.  

SprintData.png

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 10:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat