cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data on iPhone 4 after using upgrade to discount another line

Journeyman

No data on iPhone 4 after using upgrade to discount another line

Situation: family plan, 3 lines, wife's line is an iPhone 4 and her line was eligible for an upgrade discount.  Son getting an iPhone 5 for Xmas, but his line didn't have an upgrade discount ready.  So used uprgade disount from wife's line to buy iPhone 5 for son, but wife keeping same old iPhone 4.

At Sprint store to purchase, first salesperson gave me grief for wanting to use discount from one line to upgrade a phone on another.  Perhaps he was new.  Second salesperson corrected him, said that was okay, but to do this whole transaction and _not_ have my wife's service be messed up, all we'd need to do was totally power down her phone.  (Second salesperson gave me grief for wanting not to activate the new iPhone 5 until Christmas, but eventually said that was okay too.)

So we powered down my wife's phone, which store said was necessary to use upgrade discount on the other line.  Then did the iPhone 5 purchase transaction.  The powered wife's iPhone 4 back on.

Voice and text work on iPhone 4, but no data.

By this point I'd left the store.  Called customer service.  I didn't have iPhone 4 with me -- wife had it at work.  Cust service guy was plesant, but eventually instructed my wife to do a hard reset of the whole phone (tried soft reset and also reset network settings).  Told my wife that she'd have to wait to do a backup on a PC (no data, no iCloud backup), and that that should work, but that she'd have to reinstall apps, reconfigure, etc.  She called store I just pruchased the other iPhone from to see if there were alternatives and to complain.  The salesperson was rude and unapologetic, and said her only option was a hard reset.  (Salesperson's bad attitude and poor training is a topic for another thread, but certainly is compounding an already bad and frustrating experience.

Anyone have any davice on my next step?

Thanks,

--Jon

4 REPLIES 4
Master

Re: No data on iPhone 4 after using upgrade to discount another line

I am sorry for this issue.  Normally updating the network settings is all we need to do to correct this problem.  If that has not worked at this point you would want to back up the iphone to itunes and reset the device and activate from scratch.  It sounds like the put the i phone 5 on the account a removed it this changes the password the device used to sign on. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Your explanation makes sense, but doesn't make me feel better.  Is a hard reset really the only option?  If so, either I was given misinformation by the store salesrep or a mistake was made by sprint during the transaction.  And both have now taken hours of my and my wife's time, and will take hours more (my wife is leaving work to drive to the Sprint store near my work, to confront the salesperson and store manager given that they have not only expressed no empathy but in fact been both incompetent and rude (you're the first person from Sprint who even apologized (thanks, BTW)). 

Does Sprint really want (a) to lose a sale (I'm giving the iPhone 5 back if this doesn't get resolved; to lose an account and/or customer (I'm at least canceling a third line on the account and switching to ATT, and perhaps the whole account (I'm only $185/month but have been with Spring since 1996)); to lose in-store sales by having other customers hear howe my wife and I respond when/if the store salesrep and manager treat us the way they have been?

Can I please be contacted (on [SarahKS - removed personal info], hmm) by someone senior in tech support to discuss other options?

--Jon

Message was edited by: SarahKS This is a public forum.  To protect your privacy please do not post personal information such as a your full name, phone number, address or account information.

Master

You stated you reset the network settings   Did you go to the phone app and dial ##873283# call   this is what does requests the network to send the correct information to the phone.  This does happen when swapping phones on an account.  The new device needs to be turned off completely  do not know if it was ever turned on.  The needs to have its programing updated to work correctly.  The Iphone  some times has to be wiped if it will not pick up its programing  by either updating the network or resetting t he network settings and updating the network.      

Journeyman

Yes.  (The cust service person on the phone and store manager also instructed that.)

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat