Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Personal hotspot charge?

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Personal hotspot charge?

So ill get straight to the point and ask my questions.

1.) Will using personal hotspot on my iPhone 4 cost extra money and if so how much? I currently have unlimited data.

2.) why does this feature cost money? I'm already paying for the data, and it's not very fast anyways as I can't get 4G speeds on my iPhone 4.... So its not like I can use it while I'm sharing data. Can someone answer my questions please? By the way I don't have any problems with sprint, and if it does cost a little money it wouldn't be a huge problem, just wouldn't use it then! Thanks

14 REPLIES 14
Wizard

Re: Personal hotspot charge?

MegaDataUser,

Thanks for your inquiry. Cell phone data is unlimited at Sprint. The mobile hotspot feature provides a data connection to devices that are not necessarily cell phones and for that reason it is limited. Cell phone networks are not designed in a way to provide an unlimited connection to devices like a home pc, for example. The data consumption between a pc and a phone is very different. This is the reason why there are caps on our stand-alone mobile hotspots as well as the hotspot feature enabled from phones. The current hotspot add-on plans are 2gb for $19.99/mo and 6gb for $49.99/mo.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Okay, well basically you're paying $10 per gb of information brought in? Alright, so basically us as customers are generally being ripped off with prices like that, especially for what is being called "service". We as customers expect to have a fast working connection, which Sprint has thusfar failed to achieve. I for many years was a customer of Verizon and never had as many problems with my unlimited plan there as I have here with sprint. You see I'm an over the road trucker and using an option like that is probably one of my only options for having internet wherever I go. The problem is for some reason the whole company can't get its "ducks in a row". I am sickened by both Sprint, Verizon, and all the other cell phone companies out there. Sure Verizon is fast, but of alas they dropped the unlimited plan, for reasons unknown to me, but my best guess is the team that made that decision is all about making the company more money rather than actually providing the service to the lesser "priviledged" of the public. Same goes for Sprint, more worried about collecting money than actually providing the service they claim to have. I can say this with the utmost ease... If this ridiculous company does not "regain its sea-legs" it can and will competely fail and many will thusforth lose their jobs. I suggest to all employees and owners of Sprint to cease progressive actions and start seeking to build a better service with better pricing (that's right guys, it's actually time to work toward better rather than bigger). Just a fair early warning and good advice before the entire company falls to the reprocutions of a boycott. These are living breathing people you're stealing money from, not objects to be toyed with. The reason I'm posting this is because I am part of many of your customers of who will be leaving this service if no action is taken. I know you may not have felt the reprocutions of Obama's unemployment increase yet, but the day will come if action to strengthen that which is weak is not taken.

Trust me, you'll thank me later on if you heed my advice.

Best reguards,

Joseph

Libertarian/Conservative American Citizen

Journeyman

What is the difference between the 2gb and the 6gb? Which do you recommend?

Wizard

REDBONEBS16,

Thanks for posting. The only difference is the amount of data included in each plan. If you do alot of downloading, watching videos, and streaming music you may want to go with the 6gb option.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

reprocutions and reguard...... repercussions and regards, maybe?

Not a personal attack, but people that act like their argument is completely valid (especially when they include political affiliations) irk me and yes, Sprint is behind both AT&T and Verizon right now, but threatening the company isn't going to make them work any faster. Sprint started behind Verizon and AT&T on LTE, but just because Sprint doesn't have the amount of coverage as the other two doesn't mean that they aren't working as hard. If you have two cars going at the same speed, but one got a 5 second head start, then the other one won't be able to catch up. And many more sites have been upgraded to LTE along with 3G and voice upgrades. The sites you see that have LTE on Sprint's Coverage page are only the sites that have enough coverage to be labeled "on". Many unmarked sites already have LTE broadcasting, and from a few un-declared LTE sites around my area, I've been able to pull ~20Mbps full strength and about 2-3Mbps on one or two bars, which is plenty enough to watch Youtube videos in standard def.  Yes, Sprint made the wrong bet on Wimax, and I would also like better LTE coverage overall, along with faster 3G speeds, because I too am sick of being behind the other companies, but what I'm getting now compared to less than a few months ago is better than nothing. Sprint is trying to make up for it, but converting every tower across America is no quick and easy feat. Also, Sprint is doing testing on Spark in California that would provide speeds much faster than LTE does right now.

My two cents,

Jack,

A person who gets it

Journeyman

if i already have an unlimited data plan and i get a 2gb hotspot plan will i have to pay for extra data I use with the hot spot or will I pay extra for all of the data my phone is using?

Master

Uncharted_Soul,

Thank you for the question. Data used on your device's browser and data consumed via hotspot are not the same and are not assessed the same way.

The unlimited data that you have is for the data consumed by your device.

The data transmitted from your phone as a hotspot is completely different and that will be subject to the amount that is used each month.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

Journeyman

Just root or jailbreak and use a tether service since Sprint is greedy

Journeyman

They screwed me after 8 good years from a client. Carried 4 lines. And It's not unlimited! I was very ill when someone hacked my hotspot for 580$.Ive never gone over in 8 years. But the insist I pay 50% of it even thou they know out want me. Can't do it. Im leaving.

Master

RONALASVEGAS67- Wow, that definitely doesn't sound good at all. When did this happen? I'd like to take a look at this for you. Please PM us with your phone number, pin/security answer and link to this thread. You can PM us here:

https://community.sprint.com/baw/pm-post!input.jspa?to=5191314 Thanks. - Melyssa
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

When you have reached the max does it stop working or is there going to be ab overage charge?

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat