cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rep said Iphone 4 cannot be activated because it's unlocked... Please help!!!

Journeyman

Rep said Iphone 4 cannot be activated because it's unlocked... Please help!!!

To start at the beginning, this is my girlfriend's phone that's be deactivated for over a year.  Last week we called to check the ESN, and the Sprint rep said it was ready to be activated again.  We went into a Sprint store to activate the phone, and it kept showing "Error 1000015: Error in service  amdocs.APILink.backend.services.poValItemBySN00@cb2f6d"  Nobody in the store knew what that mean, and the lady at the store got a ticket number and called for support, but they didn't really know what was going on either.  In the end I was told that the phone cannot be activated because it's unlocked and there's nothing that can be done to fix that--considering that I fix cell phones and computers for a living, I knew that was just a cop-out because they really didn't know what the problem was (an unlocked phone should be ready to be activated).  The lady at the store used jailbroken and locked interchangeably like they're the same thing or something.  I have personally jailbroken numerous iphones that continued to work on Sprint or be activated on Sprint, so can someone please tell me what is actually going on here?

Thanks so much in advance.  I also apologize if I sound a little irritable, I just don't like it when people who don't have a clue what they are talking about try to convince me that, despite years of experience, I'm wrong and they are experts on the matter, even though they don't understand that there's a big difference between jailbreaking and unlocking a phone.

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: Rep said Iphone 4 cannot be activated because it's unlocked... Please help!!!

Oh yeah, and this is a Sprint Iphone that was purchased from sprint.com approximately 1 1/2 years ago.  So this is without a doubt a Sprint phone (unless sprint.com sales non-Sprint phones in mountainous regions where Sprint has little service and then sub-contracts the service out to other carriers?)

Master

Re: Rep said Iphone 4 cannot be activated because it's unlocked... Please help!!!

Ace336,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your questions. I apologize for the frustrations you have had with this. Was this phone unlocked to be used on another carrier? Is she trying to activate the device on an existing Sprint phone number or create a new account to activate the phone? Let me know, I'm happy to look into this further for you.

Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

The phone was jailbroken, but not unlocked (this is to the best of my knowledge).  And I'm trying to use the phone on an existing Sprint phone number.  Thanks.

Master

Ace336,

Thank you. When you attempt to swap it online using your sprint.com account, do you get an error message? If so, have you attempted using our chat feature to see if an agent can assist you with the swap? sprint.com/chat is available

Monday – Friday: 6am – 11:30pm CST and

Saturday & Sunday: 9am – 11pm CST.
Lorrie
Sprint Social Care
Journeyman

I went to the Sprint store, 3 different employees tried to do the swap and everytime it came back with the error message I gave in the original post, I'll give the chat a try in just a minute.

Master

Dear Ace336,

Please send us a private message including your name, phone number, link to this thread and security information, or visit http://bit.ly/1lCgRpq. I would like to check more into this error code for you.

Sprint Social Care Agent Brianna
Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat