cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sprint Navigation for iPhone 4. Help needed...

Go to solution
Journeyman

Hi, i just got an iPhone 4.  My plan has Sprint Navigation included but I don't know how to activate it and/or download the app.  help pls?

14 REPLIES 14
Wizard

Unfortunately Sprint Navigation is not available on the iPhone.

-Alec

Journeyman

thanks for your reply...is there a free app you would recommend?

Wizard

Re: Sprint Navigation for iPhone 4. Help needed...

Since I don't have any experience with the navigation apps available, I'm going to leave the recommending to the community.

-Alec

Master

The Sprint Navigation app is powered by TeleNav. I believe there is an iPhone app from TeleNav in the App Store if you are looking for a near identical application. Otherwise there are quite a few alternatives as well, but I don't have much personal experience to make a recommendation on them.

Wizard

Waze, TeleNav, Mapquest and others.....  Some have free versions, some are one time pay or monthly pay.  Pay versions may have more features.  Read up on these on link below or in iTunes Store.

Also, there are iPhone paid apps (usually around $50) from traditional GPS suppliers like Tom Tom, Garmin, etc...

http://itunes.apple.com/us/genre/ios-navigation/id6010?mt=8

Journeyman amy
Journeyman

Isn't this false advertising. It is still listed as an available feature.

Wizard

Amy, technically Sprint is probably OK saying that the iPhone 4 and 4S have navigation.  The iPhone's have a GPS "navigation" chip inside (for A-GPS and GLONASS).  Goggle Maps (preloaded on iPhone) actually does use the A-GPS for location services positioning.  Some people "navigate" their way to a nearby Startbuck's by using Google Maps.  ANY location or positioning services software (Google Maps, Telenav, etc.) ALSO uses positioning hardware and software supplied by the Sprint network (however, invisible to the user).

I have to believe, at some point, the buyer has at least a little responsibility in doing their homework.  That would be as simple as flicking through the few pages of apps on the device, looking for the programs and services they are interested in, and asking their sales rep questions.

However, in the end, the iTunes App Store is still there.  There are a large quantity of free and paid mapping, location, and navigation apps.

For me, I'd rather be able to freely try out some free and/or paid apps and only put the one I like best on my device.  If you're stuck on TeleNav, it is still an option for the iPhone.

Getting off topic, but as for me, I find that if I do any "real" traveling, a stand-alone GPS such as a Garmin car/handheld is the only real way to reliably navigate.

I just checked and the iPhone does has "regular" GPS capability also...not only assisted, or A-GPS.  I haven't tried out how well it works when out of range of cellular or WiFi service.

Message was edited by: seeblue1

Journeyman

One thing to keep in mind is, most of the free apps require a live data connection to work - because they download map data in real-time, as needed.  So if you are traveling in an area where data coverage is bad you may not be able to use your GPS.  Also, I believe (but I'm not certain) that CDMA networks (like Sprint and Verizon) cannot accomodate data connections during a call.    If I am correct, you would also not be able to use your GPS while making or receiving calls.

A few of the pay GPS apps actually install map data on the phone, so a data connection is not required.  But map data is not small, so you will be giving up 1-2 GB of space on your phone to accomodate the maps.

Wizard

Roy, that is a really good point (which I sort of missed).  The dirty little secret about navigation and cellular phones is that if you're traveling in the boonies (where you need navigation the most), that's the most likely place where you won't be able to use it.  You won't have cellular data or may be roaming, or will have a slow/poor data connection for updating maps.  That's why anyone who plans on doing any serious navigation is better off buying a stand-alone Garmin or equal, or buying a full-blown cellular navigation program (with map database) from the App Store.  I'm guessing the $50 Garmin program in the App Store might give you the capability of downloading maps onto your device, but I haven't checked it out.

Yup.  TomTom USA for $49.99 and Garmin USA for $39.99.  Each includes a map database on your device; about 1.5 GB of space.

Message was edited by: seeblue1

Journeyman

I used the Waze app today and it work pretty good.  I will try the Navfree app next as this one uploads the data base to the phone so supposely it won't use the phone's data connection. 

PS. Both Apps are free in the app store.

Journeyman

are there plans to bring sprint navagation to iphone as other carriers have done? it is included with our plans and is something is used quite often

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat