cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using verizon iphone 4

Journeyman

Using verizon iphone 4

The only thing that stopped people from being able to use a verizon iphone 4 on sprint before was that sprint would not allow you to. Now that they have iphones on their network will they be able to tell the difference from a cdma iphone 4 that was sold from verizon or sprint? if not will they be able to check the esn of a verizon iphone when activated with sprint?

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES 15
Journeyman

Using verizon iphone 4

You can't, because Sprint and Verizon use different frequencies for their 3G networks, so you'd basically have an iPhone that could only connect to WiFi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Using verizon iphone 4

Dang

Journeyman

Using verizon iphone 4

You sure about that Oldiesmann? How come on my Evo if I roam on Verizon towers i still get full internet?

Journeyman

Using verizon iphone 4

aww yeah

Wizard

Using verizon iphone 4

I think the real reason is that Sprint will just not let you activate it on there network is since you give them a code ( I think it is the MEID HEX from the back of the phone) and they will know if that there phone or not. I think they just want to have control and not have custumers jumping from company to company.

But to answer your real question is Sprint will not let you activate any cdma phone unless it from Sprint.

Wizard

Using verizon iphone 4

The ESN of the iPhone from Verizon wouldn't be loaded into our system and therefore would not able to be activated on our network, our system wouldn't allow it.  We would have to submit a request to have the ESN loaded into our database and the group that makes those changes would at that point, most likely, determine that it was not a Sprint iPhone and reject the ESN add on.  That's my educated crack at it, there may be a few other factors that I'm not aware of.

Journeyman

Re: Using verizon iphone 4

oldiesmann - that's not accurate - both companies use cdma for 3G and both use the 850/1900 bands

it's more because each company won't allow the equipment of the other company -- which I never understood why, the company wouldn't be subsidizing the phone so the contract would be profitable

Journeyman

Not right either good guy, Sprint has no cellular band assignments in the us like Verizon. Sprint and Verizon use the same technologhy for CDMA but a different frequency band and system topology from Verizon when it comes to 4G.

Journeyman

With all due respect - I'm not sure I undrstand how I am wrong about CDMA with Verizon - I've been with Sprint for 13 years and have roamed on VZW networks all the time (3G data).

So please be more specific as to what aspect of 3G CDMA am I wrong about - my palm pixi is famous for being able to swap the radio coard from a VZW branded pixi to the Sprint pixi to use the additional wifi ability - I'll even go one further -my palm pixi is even more reliable with the VZW radio board

And Jbx123 - I didn't even refer to 4G, because 4G is a completely different beast

And no to beat this into the ground - I am very familiar with running debug on my phones to examine what frequencies, channels, etc are being used

cheers!

Journeyman

In your original response you stated Sprint and Verizon both used the PCS and cellular bands.  After 13 years with Sprint you should know that Sprint owns NO cellular band assignments.

This has nothing to do with 4G.

Journeyman

so just the 1900 band for data services?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat