cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2 Year Contract Ended, I need my iPhone 4S unlocked for domestic use.

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: 2 Year Contract Ended, I need my iPhone 4S unlocked for domestic use.

Stephanie, I need my phone locked for domestic use as well.

Thanks

Wizard

ahmb801,

I just got word back today and unfortunately at this time we are not able to unlock Sprint iPhones for domestic use. This is a change from the information that I had before. We are still in the process of working with Apple to build a process if available or have the Apple website updated to reflect that we do not unlock the iPhone. I am sorry for the delay in getting this information to all of you.

*Stephanie

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Stephanie,

You mean you will NOT unlock the Sprint iPhones. If Sprint is able to unlock it for international use, then you guys are more than capable to unlock it for domestic use. You just choose not to, and that's fine. You will be losing many customers.

Thanks for all your help,

Bill

Journeyman

Again with Sprint telling us they can't when everyone else that bothers to research unlocks knows for a fact that they're the only ones holding up the process.

It'd be one thing if they told us even one reason WHY they can't. Instead they just dodge any kind of accountability system by failing to provide even one fact, the name of one representative on either side with any say in the matter.

Somewhere along the process, someone said "won't", because we all know that the technology supports it and Apple has a system in place specifically for supporting it. So saying "can't" is an outright lie.

Give us some contact information for the person that said "won't" and the Internet will take care of the rest.

And don't bother trying to update the Apple website saying that you can't unlock the phones. Apple knows that being honest with customers is a good way to keep those customers. They won't aid Sprint in lying.

I left Sprint over a decade ago because of crappy reception. I came back because of the promise of unlimited data and an unlocked phone after contract completion. I left again because my 4 bars of 3G signal consistently took several minutes to bring up google maps data for my location. And now I'm never coming back because Sprint lied to me about how I could use my EXPENSIVE phone. And I'm going to make sure that everyone I know never buys into Sprint B.S. again.

People that know me know that I'm patient and highly tolerant. But Sprint has screwed the pooch so bad on this that the very thought of Sprint as a brand makes me furious.

On a somewhat related sidenote. For a communication company. Sprint SUCKS at communicating. It literally took me an hour of searching to find out how to navigate to private messages from the front page. And the forum "communications" tab is highly misleading on that front.

And the "muzak" while being put on hold is encoded at a terrible quality. Do you guys seriously lack voice bandwidth so much that you can't get decent sound quality for your customer service lines?

Journeyman

Thank you for at least trying.  Frankly I am not surprised as Sprint, from the day they started selling the device, seemed totally clueless on how to support the iPhone.  At least with this information I can make a case to my company not to upgrade our iPhone's with Sprint and to consider another more technically savvy carrier such as T-Mobile.

I should note that I believe in the free market and it is certainly Sprint's right to refuse to unlock the iPhone's.  I am sure somewhere buried in all the contract legalize there is an escape clause for just such a scenario.  But, as this is a free market, I too have the right to evangelize to any one and everyone out there to consider doing business with another carrier lest they make the same foolish decision we did.  I have taken to Twitter and Facebook and there are also various IT forums are participate in that I can make sure the word is spread far and wide.

Thanks again for your effort and I fully understand how upper management can be closed to solving problems as they related to unhappy customers.  I used to work for a Fortune 10 company myself and we were constantly battling such problems in the trenches.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got word back today and unfortunately at this time we are not able to unlock Sprint iPhones for domestic use.

So Sprint can unlock the phone internationally, but not for the domestic use !!!!. Isn't that called violation of anti trust laws? as sprint is preventing healthy competition, as its appear that the reason is not technical but done intentionally to prevent Sprint users from moving there service to another competitor. .

anyway this what I received from the DOJ after I filled my complaint:

[Dear Mr. xxxxxx:

Thank you for contacting the Antitrust Division of the U.S. Department of Justice. The Citizen Complaint Center has reviewed your complaint, and we have forwarded it to the appropriate legal staff for further review.  We have your information on file and should legal staff need further information, they may contact you in the future.

We appreciate your interest in the enforcement of federal antitrust laws.

Sincerely,

Citizen Complaint Center

Antitrust Division

Department of Justice]

Journeyman

Tehraga wrote:

I just got word back today and unfortunately at this time we are not able to unlock Sprint iPhones for domestic use.

So Sprint can unlock the phone internationally, but not for the domestic use !!!!. Isn't that called violation of anti trust laws? as sprint is preventing healthy competition, as its appear that the reason is not technical but done intentionally to prevent Sprint users from moving there service to another competitor. .

To be honest, I fail to see the anti-trust implications in this.  Sprint does not have a monopoly on service as the only carrier (like the old Ma Bell).  You can choose from AT&T, VZW, or T-Mobile as well as dozens of MVNO's.  Sprint is being anti-consumer and somewhat foolish in their position but anti-trust?  You can easily go to another carrier and get a free phone when you sign up.  Maybe not an iPhone but you are not being denied service and being forced to pay an uncompetitive rate for service because of lack of competition.

Of course Sprint has lied many times about locking.  I recall back in November 2011 when they started fully locking iPhone's.  They claimed Apple required them to do it.  That did not pass the smell test.  Verizon now sells their iPhone's fully unlocked.  Apple does not care.  They got their money for the phone from the carrier so could care less what the carrier does with it.  Heck, Sprint could buy a ship load of them and dump them in the sea.  Apple would not care because they have been paid.

This latest claim that they do not know how to unlock them through Apple is just another falsehood.  Either the people at Sprint who are responsible for working with Apple and unlocking phones are truly stupid dolts who could not think their way out of a box or it is another attempt to deflect anger for a stupid unchanging corporate policy at someone else (notably Apple).  Maybe Sprint needs to raid a few employees from AT&T or T-Mobile to teach them how to do it.

In the meantime, had an IT huddle yesterday at my company and we will not be upgrading with Sprint.  Next step is to work on a proposal for another carrier to perhaps switch providers early next year.  The best argument to make is to the bean counters; you buy an asset from Sprint and it has less residual value than if you paid the same price from another carrier and waited the same amount of time.  Depreciating assets are something accountants love to track and the argument against Sprint works well with them.

Journeyman

Hi Stephanie -

I wanted to join some of the voices in here in expressing my thanks to you personally for trying to help out with this issue. I know you're up against a big bureaucracy, and I appreciate the effort you put in!

Hopefully Sprint is keeping tabs on customer sentiment - I have moved to T-Mobile specifically because of their policy to separate device financing from monthly service and their policy to sell devices that are not carrier-locked.

-

Steven

Journeyman

"Hopefully Sprint is keeping tabs on customer sentiment - I have moved to T-Mobile specifically because of their policy to separate device financing from monthly service and their policy to sell devices that are not carrier-locked."

Well if they are keeping tabs they can add me. I just left last week and moved to Verizon. Thank gosh they gave me $200 trade in on my Sprint 4S so I picked up a 5S 16GB for $199... so I made a dollor on a two year contract. I ended up using more data in one weekend than I used in the last year on Sprint because IT WORKED!

When I went to change my Sprint plan to just one user they told me I had been with them for 13.8yrs.

Journeyman

THEY ALSO CHEATED ME AFTER COMPLETING THE CONTRACT IPHONE 4S CANT USE FOR DOMESTIC USE. WE HAVE TO TAKE ATTENTION TO PUBLIC MEDIA FOR THIS CHEAING

Journeyman

EVERYBODY HAS TO PUT COMPLAINT EVERY WHERE, FOR THIS CHEATING THE CUSTOMERS , SPRINT CHEATING ALL THE IPHONE CUSTOMERS . I TRY TO PUT COMPLAINT EVERY WHERE AND EVERY CUSTOMER HAS TO KNOW ABOUT IT. .

Journeyman

I APPRECIATE YOUR EFFORT CONGRATS, CAN I GET THE ADRESS TO MAKE COMPLAINT

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat