cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4S battery problem? takes forever to charge, service says nothing's wrong.

Highlighted
Journeyman

4S battery problem? takes forever to charge, service says nothing's wrong.

We got two refurbished 4S phones for our family just back in Feb. so they are 9 months old. My granddaughter uses hers constantly like any teenager. I mine sits for hours all day untouched. BOTH have the same issue, they won't charge in a reasonable time anymore. We took them to a service center and they ran diagnostics and said they couldn't find any problem. No overheating etc. I didn't pay extra for insurance so they said there was nothing they could do and suggested maybe a hard reset would help, maybe it was a software issue after the last upgrade. My phone was on the charger from 8pm til 6am and it's still only at 74%

Is there a known issue with the last upgrade?

Is there a known issue with the battery only lasting less than a year?

Is there any warranty on a refurbished phone that is 9 months old? Seems odd this is happening to both of us at the same time, with such different usage patterns.

Anyone else experiencing this or has and found a solution??

Am I just out of luck, should I just take the phone to an independent business and replace the battery?

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: 4S battery problem? takes forever to charge, service says nothing's wrong.

Have you power cycled the batteries? It is suggested that a power cycle be done once a month for the IPhone to recalibrate the batteries.

Some people don't know nor how to do one. Just in case it has not been done nor known how, a power cycle is when you let the battery go full dead, then let it sit for a full charge before first use again.

I know once in awhile it is also good to turn your device off for a minute before turning it back on. That has helped me a couple times when the charging did not seem to be working.

If those two steps don't work, a factory reset after a backup might help. If those three suggestions don't help, I'm not sure what else you can try but I do wish you luck.

Try the power down then on suggestion first, then a power cycle, then a reset if needed. Good luck.

Journeyman

On a side note, IOS 7 is known to drain the batteries faster than previous IOS's.

Wizard

I’ve got a 2 year old iPhone 4S running iOS 7.0.4.  I don’t have ANY problems.

If you have weak, intermittent, slow, or poor cell service that will make your devices work harder.  What with Sprint upgrading their network just about everywhere, that is a likely issue and hard to diagnose if you have intermittent slow data.

The previous owner may have abused the battery.  Repeatedly letting a battery run down to zero before charging will shorten the life.

DO NOT run your battery down to zero! Never!  Have your charger handy.  ALWAYS charge before 20%, and it’s not necessary or particularly helpful to charge it up to 100% every time.

Read below on how to take care of your battery, how to maximize battery-life, and optimal settings for best performance using iOS 7 on an older device:

http://www.apple.com/batteries/iphone.html

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-take-care-of-your-smartphone-battery-the-right-w-513217256/1416982678

Master

Laryl,

I'm sorry to hear about your devices issues. Refurbished devices are under a one year warranty. Are you still having issues? Have you brought them directly to an Apple store to get checked out? Please let us know, we are here to help.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Master

seeblue1,

Thank you for posting and for providing feedback. If you have any questions or need assistance with anything please let us know. Have a Great Day!

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat