cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate iPhone 4/s on Different Phone Number

Journeyman

I bought a SPRINT iPhone 4/s this morning using the upgrade eligibility on my wife's phone number (she doesn't want a new phone).  I was told that I can activate the phone on my phone number (same account) when it comes - but does anyone know if this is something I will be able to do through iTunes?  Or will I have to call the 1-800 number or take it into a store.  Do the phones come already tied to a specific phone number - I ordered from the Apple store?  I just don't want to start the iTunes activation and disable my wife's phone in the process.  Trying to determine up front which way is the best way to go about activating the phone.

Thank you for the help!

20 REPLIES 20
Journeyman

nope you have to activate it. So whatever number you want it set to is your choice. Sprint is giving you that atleast. Funy though my payment of my phone paid for my bill this month, So i called and they said the phone will be added to your next months bill... So i have a credit of 80 bucks for next month... anywho  have fun with your Iphone 4s  cause I know i will : )

Wizard

Be aware...as I posted in another similar thread:

I called this morining and here's what I was told. Since there seem to be conflicting reports, it may boil down to which CSR you talk to:

1) Yes, I could order the iPhone on Line 3, which is eligible for an upgrade

2) Yes, I could call customer service when the iPhone arrived and activate it on Line 2 instead

3) The catch: both lines would initiate 2 year agreements from that point forward. In other words, new 2-year contract on Line 3 (expected), also new 2-year contract on Line 2 (current 2 year agreement would be up in Dec otherwise)

So, as long as neither your wife or you want to upgrade again in the next two years, you would be ok. 

Journeyman

hmm maybe and maybe not. I'll have to research that. Loop holes all over ya know hehe.

Im activating the phone on my line even though I upgraded on my second line. my first line upgrade is due to come next June. The terms are different now, ill see ehh

Journeyman

I'm curious if we will be able to activate on the Sprint website - instead of going through iTunes.  If that is the case I would think it would be simple to just activate the phone on any number in my account....but we shall see!

Journeyman

You won't need iTunes to activate with the new iOS 5 feature you can activate and set up your device wirelessly, right out of the box. However I believe in your case though since you're using your other lines upgrade you'll need to still visit the Sprint website to activate the new iPhone on your line vs. your wife's.

Journeyman

That's not what I was told today when I called CS.  I have four lines, three of which are eligible for upgrade.  The fourth is eligible a month later.  I asked if I could assign iPhone #3 to line #4 (the one eligible a month later).  Answer?  Yes.  I then asked if I could upgrade phone #4 to iPhone a month later and activate the number on phone #3.  Answer?  Yes. 

No mention was made that both lines would revert to a two-year contract by upgrading one phone.

Journeyman

2GOLEEZ,

You were informed correctly. I'm not sure if there was a misunderstanding but what arTim was informed of is not correct.

Highlighted
Journeyman

As an update to this.  Just got my iphone - and it automatically activated on my wife's number.  I then went online and activated her old phone (the one the activation replaced) back on her number.....which in turn deactivated the iphone.  After that, I activated it on my account.  However, I had to do another step - in the iphone, goto Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset all Content and Settings.  This clears the phone and starts the activation process over again.  After I did that I had to wait about 5 minutes for the phone to activate (I thought it didn't work...but came on after about 5 minutes or so and said it was activated).  Now to play!

Wizard

Thanks for posting this.  This answers all the questions.

Journeyman

By the way - my account shows the new iphone on my number....and my original contract end date of June 2012 has stayed the same.  Only the contract on my wife's phone line was updated for two years.  Good news!

Journeyman

I have been reading some things that when you get the phone and before opening it ( or just before turning the phone on at least) you can go to the sprint.com/activate part of the site and enter the info there and bypass the activate line 1, deactivate line 1, activate line 1 back to original phone, then activate iPhone on line 2 (if that made any sence). This step could possibly just an easier way to activate line 2 only. I may try this in a few weeks when i get mine unless someone can confirm this works.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat