cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activate iPhone 4/s on Different Phone Number

Journeyman

Re: Activate iPhone 4/s on Different Phone Number

I have not bought the iphone yet  but im in same situation and asked the sprint girl if i can swap numbers  if i buy it, so my wife can get the iphone since my line is the only one with upgrade and she said yes but most be activated for 30 days before any changes,but again i didnt ask her about activating devices  i just ask her about swapping phone numbers not sure if that can be done or not .

I actually added a line in store but they told me that i would have to wait 30 days before i swapped it to my main line. That sounded like total Bs so i called customer care after i left the store and they transfered me to techinical support and they swapped the lines. For some reason there has been alot of miscommunication between employees. I hope you were able to get the phone switched over.

Journeyman

This is a question I am having as well. Except my wife and I are on two different Sprint accounts.

I'd like to buy the iPhone 4S with my account and then activate it on my wife's account.

I asked a Sprint Rep via e-chat today and she told me that Sprint doesn't allow the iPhone to be bought on one account and activated on another. She said it was just a rule with the iPhone and not other phones. This sounds strange.

The thing that worries me is if when my wife activated the iPhone, her account gets renewed. She is due for a phone upgrade in about 6 months and I figured I would just use her upgrade, and give her my upgrade.

I wish we could get straight answers from Sprint on matters such as these.

Journeyman

Yeah that dosnt sound right. You should do like some others say, use the upgrade and activate it on your number then go to the sprint.com/activate and re-activate your old phone and then reset the iPhone and put it on hers. I am getting one in a few weeks (with any luck that my vacation pay comes and Sprint lets me use my upgrade 2 weeks earley) and I am going to have to use my wifes upgrade, activate/deactivate her line, then activate it on my line. If all else fails just call in and yell!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Chewieez wrote:

I asked a Sprint Rep via e-chat today and she told me that Sprint doesn't allow the iPhone to be bought on one account and activated on another. She said it was just a rule with the iPhone and not other phones. This sounds strange.

I think that Sprint CSR answer is a little suspect.  If that were the case then there would be quite a few folks posting complaints  around the sprint forums (Sprint Community / Sprint Users) complaining about Ebay and Craigslist iPhones.  Those sellers are using their upgrades, paying $200 for the device with 2 yr extension on contracts and then turning around and selling them for $500 plus.  I find it hard to believe they would be buying the phones at the unsubsidized price and then selling them for less. 

Sprint subsidizes the price of phones in order to entice folks into signing contracts.  When customers buy the phones at the subsidized prices and sign the contract, Sprint doesn't care what happens to the hardware, because they have what they want out of the transaction already (signed contract + customers share of phones value).  It doesnt benefit Sprint one bit to force the original customer to hang onto the phone. 

@KWIRGES, @arTim :  Typically Sprint only would force someone to re-up a contract when activating a phone in order to avoid the $36 activation fee.  If you pay the $36 then no worries.  If they didn't try to charge you an activation fee, then no worries.  And one other thing, Contract Life and Phone Upgrade intervals are different and they are tracked differently (Unless Sprint has changed something in the last 6 months).  You can re-sign a contract without worrying about resetting the Phone Upgrade interval.  Back when Sprint was offering $$$ Credit on accounts for re-upping contracts I jumped on that offer almost a full 12 months before I was eligible for the full subsidized phone price, and I was able to use my phone upgrade 12 months later without a hitch. 

@

Journeyman

I had a few hitches but everything got taken care of. I got the Sprint store to force my upgrade (which can always be done as long as its 14 days until your upgrade apparently). They were out of 4S so I used my wife's line to get one. When I got home I tried to do the switch myself but it would not go further until I change my plan (I guess the 1500 family plan is no longer available). I hit the chat button and she did the switch with no problems and was over in about 20 minutes with resetting the phones and manually programing my EVO onto my wife's line. So no matter what your situation I wouldn't worry about problems swapping lines with the iPhone's.

Journeyman

So now the 2nd line (your wife's) is stuck with an old phone for two years and she doesn't have her bonus upgrade anymore in case she wants to have the iPhone 5 next year.

Journeyman

@bob....#1:   Wife can upgrade in June with my upgrade eligibility.  #2:  wife could care less if she had a phone...much less a new one.

Journeyman

Re: Activate iPhone 4/s on Different Phone Number

Having lost my Nexus, I moved my iphone to my main number.  I was in a hurry as I was traveling and needed to get my calls.  After 90 minutes on phone with Sprint, I did a hard reset all was fine.  When I my nexus was replaced, I refused to wipe the phone again.

I tried everything I found in forums and did more network and settings resets than I can count.  I tried driving closer to new sprint towers (suggested by tech as I live in a low bar area) ... then I figured I would ignore Sprints directions and Turn my wifi on and do the ##update# on the dial pad.  (##873273#)  I didn't get the dreded update failed, but actually a message saying my phone was updated.  The number was still wrong, so I did a network reset and when teh phone came back up, it had the correct number!

Hope this helps.  I hate the techs that find it easy to have us wipe our phones and computers to make their job easy.  If I can figure this out, I can't believe Sprint can't figure it out.  How can they think that you have to have wifi off, and that is infact was is blocking many of us.

PS...I also realized that in a thread I read to turn all imessage and facetime apps off.  I had done that too!  Not sure if that was part of it, but just in case that is an easy fix.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat