cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't receive texts from Verizon

Journeyman

Hey all!  Anyone that can help?  I can send texts to everyone, and I have been receiving texts from people on T-Mobile, AT&T, and Sprint.  Lately thought, I've had delays even in iMessages and duplicate messages and messages being recieved out-of-order on the other end.  I can send to Verizon, but any of my many friends on Verizon cannot text me back.  I never receive it.  Sprint just tells me to cycle down and restore the network.  IT HAS to be something on my account.  My other friends on Sprint have no problem texting Verizon phones.  Also, I took the phone to the Genius Bar at the Apple Store and they replaced it earlier when I was having texting issues.  I wasn't able to receive texts from anyone at that time unless they were on Sprint or using iMessage.  It didn't fix anything.  Finally a Sprint representative told me to give it 48 hours and it would work.  Shockingly it did.  But now as of this past Monday, it's happening again.  Anyone??

34 REPLIES
Master

I apologize that this has been happening.  I would be very frustrated.  If you will private message me your phone number, I can verify that your sms routing on your account is correct.  I can also do some other steps to get it working.

Thank you

-John

Journeyman

Robot,

I just private messaged you too.  Iam having very similar issues.  I sent a text to two friends with verizon iphones and neither of them got it around 5:30pm today. Yet my wife with a basic verizon phone can text me fine.

Journeyman

To update:  I've now figured out since November 21 I haven't received any texts from Verizon or T-Mobile.  I have worked with Robotaholic here, numerous customer service people on the phone.  I even emailed Jerry Adriano, Vice President of Customer Experience.  He put me in touch with a member of the Executive & Regulatory Services department.   After all of that all I'm getting is "This isn't a Sprint issue."  For some reason no one at Sprint is willing or able to contact a peer at either of those other mobile providers. They suggested I have a friend on each service call their customer service.  Here's how that goes:  Call, reach low level tech support who then says they don't see the issue and that it's a Sprint problem.  I'm not asking friends to spend a week or two, at least an hour a day, trying to fix what I too see as a Sprint issue.

This texting problem is bigger than a quick call to customer service.  It is technical and requires someone with the right expertise and understanding.  I cannot beleive that I'm actually here begging someone to either call a tech at Verizon or T Mobile, or to please let me out of my contract and refund me for the phone and set-up fees so I can go elsewhere.  Anyone with any advice?

Wizard

You might try and take the issue on yourself by posting a detailed (and friendly) post in the other carrier's community forums.  You may get some interesting responses.  Look here (links below) and pick the forum within each community which you think will answer your questions:

http://community.vzw.com/

http://support.t-mobile.com/community/community

Wizard

I had robotoholic fill me in on the situation. I believe I may be able to take care of this for you. I'm sending you a private message. In case anyone else is curious. In most situations such as this, the carrier of the sending party is not deliverying outside their own network because their systems, for whatever reason, recognize the number as their own.

-Donnie

Journeyman

Hi Donnie,

Could you contact me as well and provide the resolution?  I am having the same issue......

Thanks, James

Journeyman

I'm having the SAME issue... it's been over a month and I keep getting the run around from sprint. The latest "IT/back office" person said to me that it's definitely an Apple issue and that I had to go to them and get it resolved. I went to the Apple store and they gave me a new phone, reset my network again and even they guy in the store text my phone from an AT&T iphone and nothing. They've reset my network like 18 times, asked me the SAME questions and still no resolve. The last sprint customer care lady was extremely rude when I asked her if it could possibly be an issue with Sprint since she wasn't able to even see the messages I sent and she said "it could be" and then closed my ticket without any resolution or apology. I'm ready to give up and switch to another carrier. Any suggestions?

oh and no i didn't port my number from another carrier nor do i have/use a third party app for texting, i don't have an outage in my area, i don't have ANY blocked numbers and the formatting for texting is correct (nothing has changed my texts just stopped working).

Journeyman

Donnie, or anyone, please help me as well.  Ported form Virgin Mobile last month.  My verizon friends can get my texts, but i am not recieving replyies etc.  Same deal as others in this thread, it seems.  Any help would be great. 

Journeyman

Hello Who-Dey, and anythingspiked!  Here's what was wrong with my phone - apparently I was in both Verizon and T-Mobile's system as a current customer of theirs.  If you send a text from a Sprint phone to a Sprint phone it never leaves the Sprint network.  Same goes for each of the other carriers.  If it's from Sprint to Verizon it hits the "inter-carrier gateway" to be transmitted.  HOWEVER, if Verizon has you number in it's system and it thinks it's a Verizon number, when someone hits reply, Verizon doesn't ever send the text outside of it's network.  Did that make sense?

Therefore, I had to get someone at Sprint to notify Verizon and T-Mobile the the number was ported to Sprint.  Once that happened, everything worked great.  This went on for almost 2 weeks and I had to treaten to cancel my contract before anyone at Sprint agreed to contact the other carriers and clear it up.  They wanted me to ask Verizon and T-Mobile customer friends to call their respective companies and do the work for them.  Just keep the pressure on Sprint and they'll eventually do it.  It's a shame as I was very excited to be on Sprint's network with the iPhone.  Unfortunately I don't see myself staying on Sprint once my contract is up.